PDA

View Full Version : Crankshaft Symmetry

Tempted
05-27-2013, 08:27 PM
Anybody have a crank laying around to measure? I'd like to know if the crank is symmetrical front to back. I want to know if a crank can be installed with the flywheel on the end that the accessories are supposed to be on.

anarchyjet
06-13-2013, 10:53 PM
yep all the bearing journals are equally spaced and the crank will go into the block 180 degrees. My I ask why you want to do this?

cordes
06-13-2013, 11:06 PM
You've got my interest...

shackwrrr
06-13-2013, 11:11 PM
If you plan to spin the engine the same way make sure you have the crank ground in a reverse rotation. If a crank isground reverse of how they run they will eat bearings.

johnl
06-14-2013, 03:13 PM
If you plan to spin the engine the same way make sure you have the crank ground in a reverse rotation. If a crank isground reverse of how they run they will eat bearings.That's interesting too, how's that work?

zin
06-14-2013, 10:50 PM
That's interesting too, how's that work?

No matter how finely you polish a metal, at least in a conventional way, there will always be a feathered pattern of "scales" (for lack of a better term), and like fish scales/feathers, one way is smooth, the other is "grabby"...

Mike

shackwrrr
06-15-2013, 01:03 AM
No matter how finely you polish a metal, at least in a conventional way, there will always be a feathered pattern of "scales" (for lack of a better term), and like fish scales/feathers, one way is smooth, the other is "grabby"...

Mike

Better than I could explain it.

Reaper1
06-16-2013, 02:35 PM
I understand what you guys are saying, however, if the engine is built and running correctly there is no metal-to-metal contact. Also, the bearing surfaces are softer than the crankshaft steel.

The only way I can see running a crank counter to what it was originally running causing issues is if the oil supply holes are only chamfered in one direction, which can easily be corrected.

Also, keep in mind there are engines that use all the same internals, but run counter to each other. Boats that have straight inboard engines that are counter rotating are perfect examples. I've worked on these engines personally...there are no differences in the cranks, rods, bearings, pistons, ect.

bakes
06-16-2013, 02:52 PM
That great if your able to swap crank end for end but the more going on in the block than you think the I shaft drive is on the other side wont work

anarchyjet
06-17-2013, 08:16 PM
You don't need an Ishaft with megasquirt running COP/DIS and an external pump dry sump oil system. I want to see the custom seal retainers and oil pan. Why cant the whole motor be installed 180 to get the output on the right side? You could reverse running rotation with a custom ground cam.