PDA

View Full Version : Clunkety-Clunk

hewhobarksatdogs
05-23-2013, 04:41 PM
89 Dodge Lancer Turbo

When I do a U-turn, or any turn requiring a significant angle, specifically a slow turn (as in backing out of a parking space) I get a sort of clunking sound, almost like motor mounts or other mounts either are loose or broken. Pretty sure its not axles as a) one is new and b) the other does not have any damage (i.e. no torn flex boots, etc.) and, when I lift the car and put the whole front end up, tires off, motor running, in gear, turning the steering lock-to-lock no clunking sound and the axles run true. I haven't started really poking around yet but wanted to see if anyone in the forum has a perspective on this. One thing is that about a month ago, when I got the car completed I wound it out pretty good in first gear and had to back off hard as someone cut in front of me and I had to slow down in a hurry. When I did this I heard a loud sound, a "clunk-snap" if you will, that came from the left front of the car. That is where I will probably start looking when I get some time to trouble-shoot this. Is there a weak point, possibly, i.e. a mount that is prone to either breaking or having one of the securing bolts breaking? Thanks for your time and your help

John Schons
hewhobarksadogs
Charlotte, NC

roachjuice
05-23-2013, 05:08 PM
Wheel bearings will do what you're describing.

wheming
05-23-2013, 06:47 PM
Wheel bearings will do what you're describing.

Do you mean if the axle nut isn't properly torqued?
I'm trying to diagnose a similar noise.

roachjuice
05-23-2013, 07:16 PM
Do you mean if the axle nut isn't properly torqued?
I'm trying to diagnose a similar noise.

No like the actual wheel bearing messed up. I've had em where they would be fine going straight. Make a turn and it would make a lot of noise. Even clunk.

wheming
05-23-2013, 10:32 PM
Gotcha. That might help the OP, but that's not my noise then. I've got new everthing incl hub assemblies.

hewhobarksatdogs
05-24-2013, 09:53 AM
Yeah, my wheel bearings are fine, too. Think it's just motor mounts or something. Need to get my lazy self under the car!

roachjuice
05-24-2013, 10:42 AM
Check that rear trans mount too. I've had it come loose at the K member point.

wheming
05-24-2013, 10:58 PM
Well I think I found mine today...

Good thing I got under it today to look!

CSX321
05-25-2013, 02:39 AM
What is that? The ball joint? I have a similar kind of sound, and I've been leaning towards it being something with the steering rack, possibly the inner tie rods?

wheming
05-25-2013, 07:14 AM
Yup. RF ball joint bolt.
It would make a popping clunk occasionally going over stuff like RR or uneven pavement into a parking lot or speed bumps.

My Dodge has something steering related going on, pops when turning.