PDA

View Full Version : Too Crazy?

2ricardo3
05-23-2013, 12:36 AM
Hey guys how y'all doing?

Im starting to save up some money and invest it in my Daytona Shelby Z, my main goal is to make it RWD, as they were always meant to be.

So, a lot of things are going through my head, specially, which engine go with. A V8 is not in my mind, dont get me wrong, I love the sound and the horrendous amount of tq they put to the tires, but it's not what I want. An SRT4 engine does not sound bad, and I think they have allready been done.

But what I've always really loved, is the sound of a 6cyl turboed, specially the Skylines engine, RB20, RB25, RB26, all 3 of them. So my question to you, mopar speciallists, enthusiasts and lovers; how crazy does this sound? Can it be done? Do you think the engine will fit in the Daytona Bay? I've seen 440's in them, so I dont think that should be a problem.

Im planning on a stock engine to start with, probably just turn up the boost a little bit, with the proper fuel management adjusts; electrically managed by a megasquirt of course, I don't think that theres another option in this matter.

cordes
05-23-2013, 12:43 AM
A lot of work and a ton of serious fab skills needed. However it's entirely possible.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?41479-87-Shelby-Z

2ricardo3
05-23-2013, 01:47 AM
Im totally aware of that. But, most of the work, won't be done by me, specially when it comes to wiring stuff (electrical) and fabrication (custom engine/tranny mounts, crossmember(s), etc).

turbovanmanČ
05-23-2013, 06:48 PM
Anything can be done with time and money.

tryingbe
05-23-2013, 06:53 PM
Will be cheaper just to buy a skyline.

2ricardo3
05-24-2013, 01:10 AM
I don't thinks so, specially if I live in Mexico, a place where you can't import those kind of cars (with the VIN starting with a letter), aside from that, I think a skyline runs for about 20-30 grand. Engine and transmision runs for about 3-4k, and we have really cheap costs when it comes to labor work; we pay about 100-200 dollars for an average well done engine swap depending on where you live.

Ondonti
05-26-2013, 11:50 AM
I would think there are other 6 cylinder options that cost less or are easier to obtain then 4,000 for a junkyard RB motor/trans. I believe those are much cheaper to obtain in the US.

That said, I don't know that Shelby Daytonas were "meant to be RWD" but if they were, "meant to be" would not include a motor that never sat in a daytona :P Even a 440 mopar never meant to be there :P

BadAssPerformance
05-26-2013, 12:49 PM
I would think there are other 6 cylinder options that cost less or are easier to obtain then 4,000 for a junkyard RB motor/trans. I believe those are much cheaper to obtain in the US.

Yeah there are importers of RB motors around that you can get them for $2k but unknown shape... shipping is the expensive part tho

That said, I don't know that Shelby Daytonas were "meant to be RWD" but if they were, "meant to be" would not include a motor that never sat in a daytona :P Even a 440 mopar never meant to be there :P

LOL, if I had a nickel for every time I've heard "Daytona are meant to be RWD" ... The only intended Daytona body use as a RWD was for NHRA Pro-stock and those bodies were extended 6" so the engine would fit. Not sure where people get that from :confused: I always laugh and say if my 4-banger FWD Daytona runs 10's a V8 RWD one should run 5's? :thumb:

Khajjathefang
05-26-2013, 06:41 PM
Dude, dont ruin a Shelby Z. By all means take a base model and go crazy but leave the Z alone

91dodgespiritrt
05-26-2013, 06:56 PM
I'm with Dave. Why ruin a good car? Find one ravaged by rust and chop that up.
"Don't play engineer and screw them up - just restore them."

Mike

2ricardo3
05-26-2013, 09:03 PM
Well, dont wanna be rude by saying this but, it is my car isint?

By saying that they were meant to be RWD is that it has all the looks and all the potential, to, in their times, that they were made RWD, they should have been made RWD.

I tought you were all more open minded than some other forums that I have been in. I dont think that the engine and trans are expensive.

Brent, what other options do you think I can have in a 6cyl with factory turbo?

Khajjathefang
05-26-2013, 11:07 PM
I dont want to be rude either but sell it and buy a starion or an s13. Sounds like thats what you really want anyway

roachjuice
05-26-2013, 11:41 PM
I'd much rather have a Toyota inline 6 (2J/1J) than an RB. parts would be easier to find.
If it were me I'd just keep it turbo fwd.

2ricardo3
05-28-2013, 01:02 AM
Selling is not an option, nor is getting an S13 or a Starion, don't like them, plus the difficulty to find one, for those who said is easier/cheaper to buy a skyline (doesn't anybody understands how difficult is to get a car like that in Mexico? We don't have all the facilities you guys have). Keeping it FWD is not in my mind.

The toyota engine doesn't sounds that bad, as for the difficulty of getting parts I think is mute, I stil have to import stuff from USA.

roachjuice
05-28-2013, 05:11 AM
People always get these wild --- ideas and don't realize how hard it actually is to do something like that.
I'm just gonna be the first to say it.
IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN.

Ondonti
05-28-2013, 06:35 AM
Well, dont wanna be rude by saying this but, it is my car isint?

By saying that they were meant to be RWD is that it has all the looks and all the potential, to, in their times, that they were made RWD, they should have been made RWD.

I tought you were all more open minded than some other forums that I have been in. I dont think that the engine and trans are expensive.

Brent, what other options do you think I can have in a 6cyl with factory turbo?
When you are building a RWD car, I don't know why you would bother with factory turbo. Honestly a naturally aspirated modern vq35/38 or honda v6 or 6g75 mitsu would make as much power as a stock RB motor and be less complicated.

2jz turbo is definitely the way to go if you want huge bang for buck with no thinking involved. Everything you need can be bought off the shelf.

I do 6g7x (v6) mitsu motors but they are not for people who like figuring things out and are not factory RWD except in trucks.

I would rather do a 4g63 RWD then an RB but if you want 6 cylinder sound then you probably want 2JZ. I am not an RB fan and I never will be. I would rather build an SR20 because its easier and cheaper to make MORE power then the RB can even handle.

I think people do get sensitive when RWD is held a standard that means other drivetrains are unfit for enjoyment. That is completely untrue. . Daytonas were meant to be FWD per Ma Mopar and Investors and Engineering and customers etc, that is what the time period was moving towards and a lot of innovation happened there that improved FWD transmissions and small engine designs.
Daytona is the car that looks wise makes the most sense RWD, if you want an F body that is not an F body. They sometimes look like they should be RWD except when you see an 80's daytona with no body kit or wing and then kinda think.....man that pile of crap must be FWD!!!!!

You want to make a cool car that is "meant" to be RWD, maybe use a 3.8L turbo buick motor. I think that would be a cool swap. Domestic turbo into Daytona. I don't think anybody who knows cars would knock you for it. In the end, a bastardized car is better then a car in the scrapyard.

I took a 3.0 Sundance Duster that somebody bastardized with a 2.5L turbo and fixed it back to OEM drivetrain. I was glad the car did not get scrapped even though it is a pile.

BTW there is also a cool 4.0L Austrailian inline 6 that makes great power (as much as a 2JZ) when done right and has displacement that you can't get from Japan.

tryingbe
05-28-2013, 07:58 AM
People that actually did rwd conversation almost never ask any questions on a forum, and mostly post progress. Why? Because they know people won't be able to answer them. You want a unique RWD project, you're going to encounter hundreds if not, thousands of unique problems that you or your mechanic will have to over come.

Can a RWD Daytona be done? Of course it can, can you and your team do it? I don't know.

Oh, forget the "investment" part, you'll will not get back 70% of $$$$$ you put into it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPDtECjVtXE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DXnTSNfr7g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL_dGcta9YM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKUa6aSaaYI

Kit you can buy to bolt whatever on. Hope you have $$$$$.
http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Number=4881596

You'll have better luck looking for information here.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=rwd daytona

roachjuice
05-28-2013, 08:00 AM
When you are building a RWD car, I don't know why you would bother with factory turbo. Honestly a naturally aspirated modern vq35/38 or honda v6 or 6g75 mitsu would make as much power as a stock RB motor and be less complicated.

2jz turbo is definitely the way to go if you want huge bang for buck with no thinking involved. Everything you need can be bought off the shelf.

I do 6g7x (v6) mitsu motors but they are not for people who like figuring things out and are not factory RWD except in trucks.

I would rather do a 4g63 RWD then an RB but if you want 6 cylinder sound then you probably want 2JZ. I am not an RB fan and I never will be. I would rather build an SR20 because its easier and cheaper to make MORE power then the RB can even handle.

I think people do get sensitive when RWD is held a standard that means other drivetrains are unfit for enjoyment. That is completely untrue. . Daytonas were meant to be FWD per Ma Mopar and Investors and Engineering and customers etc, that is what the time period was moving towards and a lot of innovation happened there that improved FWD transmissions and small engine designs.
Daytona is the car that looks wise makes the most sense RWD, if you want an F body that is not an F body. They sometimes look like they should be RWD except when you see an 80's daytona with no body kit or wing and then kinda think.....man that pile of crap must be FWD!!!!!

You want to make a cool car that is "meant" to be RWD, maybe use a 3.8L turbo buick motor. I think that would be a cool swap. Domestic turbo into Daytona. I don't think anybody who knows cars would knock you for it. In the end, a bastardized car is better then a car in the scrapyard.

I took a 3.0 Sundance Duster that somebody bastardized with a 2.5L turbo and fixed it back to OEM drivetrain. I was glad the car did not get scrapped even though it is a pile.

BTW there is also a cool 4.0L Austrailian inline 6 that makes great power (as much as a 2JZ) when done right and has displacement that you can't get from Japan.

The chevrolet LL8 4.2 inline 6 is a bad a$$ little motor too. 275hp stock. They can be had for cheap. Shouldn't have a problem finding one either. But there is very little aftermarket for them.

shadow88
05-28-2013, 08:08 AM
Just out of curiosity, How much do you plan to spend on this project? How much can the mentioned Nissan and Toyota brand cars be purchased for?

2ricardo3
05-28-2013, 10:47 PM

That's the kind of opinions people like me need, with unique projects and swaps have in mind, not the traditional "everyone does" V8 swap. I will not be trying to get my money back or my "investment", I will keep this car for the rest of my life and past it to my son when the time comes, that's if nothing bad happens.

Roachjuice, don't worry man, you will be the first on my list to get vids of that Daytona burning out some rear rubber. I'm not saying this year, or next year, or even 5 years from now. I'm aware that this kind of stuff requieres tons of greenpaper (or wierd colored ones if you live in Mexico).

cordes
05-28-2013, 10:50 PM
You could do one of the newer pentastar V6 motors. They put out decent power stock and with your timeline you should be able to do whatever you want to it with some patience.

jackerman
05-28-2013, 11:14 PM
Well its sounds wild and good luck with the build.

cordes
05-28-2013, 11:21 PM
How about the motor out of a Delorian? That would be awesome! I've never seen one of those swapped into something else before.

shadow88
05-29-2013, 08:40 AM
How about the motor out of a Delorian? That would be awesome! I've never seen one of those swapped into something else before.

Weren't they anemic v6's?

I still want to hear from the OP what the budget is and compared to already rwd cars.

cordes
05-29-2013, 11:01 AM
Weren't they anemic v6's?

I still want to hear from the OP what the budget is and compared to already rwd cars.

Big time. However, if one were to take the time to go through the motor and do the necessary work I don't see why it couldn't make some power. I'm sure it would get people talking to say the least.

shadow88
05-29-2013, 11:03 AM
Everything past 88 mph would be super cool.

cordes
05-29-2013, 11:08 AM
Everything past 88 mph would be super cool.

And he'll have the opportunity to go back to next week and see if he really wants to spend all that money on a Daytona vs. going ahead and buying a Viper. :lol:

roachjuice
05-29-2013, 03:01 PM
The guy who owns 86 GLHS #421 owns one.

tryingbe
05-29-2013, 10:40 PM

You're joking, right?

That Peugeot-Renault-Volvo motor was used in a lot of cars.

http://www.spannerhead.com/2011/12/30/ugly-engines-part-i/

Here's one in a V6 volvo... all V6 200, 700, and 900 used PRV engine.

http://www.spannerhead.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/PRV_V6.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PRV_engine

Khajjathefang
05-29-2013, 11:11 PM

Eagle premier, Dodge Monaco

http://cgdailydrive.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/1990-1992-Dodge-Monaco.jpg
Actually rather liked that shape for some reason...

Anyway the delorean is overweight and sucky in general. If you want to see the PRV at its best you need a Renault Alpine A310

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZQ9lUblGZI

cordes
05-30-2013, 12:22 AM
You learn something new almost every day. I knew the sourced the engine, but I thought there were some DMC specific things going on with it.

2ricardo3
05-30-2013, 12:48 AM
Hey fellas, stay on track! Lol.

The pentastar doesn't sound that bad.

That's why I opened this post, so I can hear some other opinions and choices, not "keep it FWD" or "sell it and buy something else" or "just go ahead an buy a skyline"; it's not that simple.

cordes
05-30-2013, 12:54 AM
Hey fellas, stay on track! Lol.

The pentastar doesn't sound that bad.

That's why I opened this post, so I can hear some other opinions and choices, not "keep it FWD" or "sell it and buy something else" or "just go ahead an buy a skyline"; it's not that simple.

From everything I've read and heard the Pentastar is a phenomenal motor. I've toyed with the idea of turbocharging one when the prices on V6 Chargers and 300s drop big time in the next few years. I think it would be a pretty sweet project.

roachjuice
05-30-2013, 06:31 AM
Oh it is that simple.

Force Fed Mopar
05-30-2013, 07:45 AM
The RB and the 2JZ both have their own issues over 450-500hp. If you're happy with less than that, then you should be able to run a stockish one tweaked up w/o too much problems. However they are both kinda long and will be a challenge to fit without cutting the firewall I think. Same goes for BMW I-6's. Or any I-6 for that matter.

Here is the site for the rwd conversion parts:

http://www.exlinecustomauto.com/daytonaconversions.html

If you get it w/ the Hemi mounts, you should be able to use any of the late-model Chrysler rwd V6's and transmissions, as they use the same engine mounts.

Rrider
05-30-2013, 11:42 AM
Do the RB.. but don't take 5 years. I don't want to wait that long to see vids of the thing.

440dart
05-30-2013, 11:51 AM
I vote for a 6.7 cummins dual cp3s,150hp injectors,s480 single, 12v rods, efi live 2000-2400ftlbs should move that daytona pretty good and should get decent milage doing it and you can tow your boat.

roachjuice
05-30-2013, 07:51 PM
I vote for a 6.7 cummins dual cp3s,150hp injectors,s480 single, 12v rods, efi live 2000-2400ftlbs should move that daytona pretty good and should get decent milage doing it and you can tow your boat.

Might as well do a Dually rear end too.

I always cracked a joke at car meets when I had my 85 iroc z28 about putting a dura max in it with a Dually rear end cutting out the hatch for a 5th wheel to sit and have a gooseneck trailer hooked up to it. I think it would be the ultimate redneck play toy.

Khajjathefang
05-30-2013, 08:08 PM
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/attachments/ford/708858d1353610834-exhaust-stack-ideas-stacked-mustang.jpg

roachjuice
05-30-2013, 08:47 PM
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/attachments/ford/708858d1353610834-exhaust-stack-ideas-stacked-mustang.jpg

Hahahahahaha

2ricardo3
05-30-2013, 09:43 PM
Hey man! That mustang has mexican licence plates, actually Sonoran license plates.

Going to the engine, on which car does the pentastar come from? Are those the ones that V6 chargers and 300s carry on? They might be a good option and supercharge them.

Forced Fed Mopar, I dont plan on running even more than 400hp, I want it to be a "strong" reliable car. A car where I can use as a DD if needed to, but still kick some --- and leave tiremarks going 40mph. Lol

cordes
05-30-2013, 10:07 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Pentastar_engine

2ricardo3
05-30-2013, 11:08 PM
Hey, the 3.6 with 292-300 hp doesnt sound that bad, the bad thing i think it is, is that since they are "new" engines, they would be really expensive to get, specially here.

Khajjathefang
05-31-2013, 12:01 AM
Hey man! That mustang has mexican licence plates, actually Sonoran license plates.

Going to the engine, on which car does the pentastar come from? Are those the ones that V6 chargers and 300s carry on? They might be a good option and supercharge them.

Forced Fed Mopar, I dont plan on running even more than 400hp, I want it to be a "strong" reliable car. A car where I can use as a DD if needed to, but still kick some --- and leave tiremarks going 40mph. Lol

technically you could do that with a holset, a 3in exhaust, big front mount, injectors, and a tune :P

shadow88
05-31-2013, 08:26 AM
No budget yet, huh?

roachjuice
05-31-2013, 08:30 AM
technically you could do that with a holset, a 3in exhaust, big front mount, injectors, and a tune :P

My thoughts exactly.

440dart
05-31-2013, 10:10 AM
That mustang is awsome would tottally fit in where i work in northdakota i seen a miata with stacks no joke i think its a right of passage over there to have stacks

2ricardo3
05-31-2013, 06:49 PM
What part of going RWD don't you guys understand? If going to make 300hp would've been my project, I would already have make it, but it still would notburn out the rear tires.

Kryp2nitE
05-31-2013, 07:02 PM
Sounds like a cool project! I just came back from Monterrey, now I'm itching to import a newer ramcharger next time I am there.

How set are you on a straight six, you could do a rwd 2.5 or a 4g63. Maybe a 4 cyl Cummins? That would be a fun ride.

---- you could even do something like this guy started in 2008 http://www.xceedspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119487

Reaper1
05-31-2013, 09:31 PM
How about this: go MOPAR...build a sweet slant 6 and turbo it! Do a modern intake with fuel injection, build a header and run a good size turbo to fit your needs! I've seen lots of turbo'd slant 6's and they do pretty well.

OR how about the Jeep 4.0 I6? I'm fairly sure those have been boosted before and they are EVERYWHERE!

If you're going import, then the 2JZ is probably your best bet if you absolutely HAVE to have an I6. If not, take a serious look at the VQ37. It's light, powerful, and *somewhat* plentyfull.

OOOHHHH..how about a Taurus SHO 3.0 or 3.2 boosted!? I've seen that before and they make some darn good power boosted! Plus, I think it would look sweet! I've always loved that intake manifold!

You could always do the Mopar 3.5L HO engine. Just set it up like the Prowler using the A606. You get a nice V6 you can get parts for and IRS in the back! Not many (if any) have done an IRS for a RWD conversion with ANY of our cars.

cordes
05-31-2013, 10:23 PM
Those are all great suggestions.

2ricardo3
06-01-2013, 01:08 AM
Yup, they are all good sugestions.

If I import, it might be a 2 or 1JZ, either one is fine, I was looking on other forums about an RB, they are good but parts and replacements are expensive, and import most of the parts.

If I go with a V6 it prolly would be the pentastar or maybe another V6 from Mopar. Definetly not a Jeep engine. Personally, don't like them.

The Taurus Sho engine is not a good choice, a local friend of mine has like 3 taurus sho's (gotta catch 'em all) and he has boosted two of them, and definetly not realliable at all, he has blown at least 2 o3 gaskets, one or 2 heads, pistons, springs, etc (and I'm talking on both of them) and they are hard and expensive parts to find here.

I would like to explore all possibilites before making my choice, even though I still dont have enough money to buy the engine, I would like to have my mind set before doing so.

Also, what do you guys recommend to start with? First buy the engine (whichever it is) and then do all the necessary mods to make it RWD, or first do the mods and then get the engine.

Force Fed Mopar
06-01-2013, 09:50 AM
I would definitely recommend a V8. Any I6 is going to be very hard to fit properly. V6 will fit easy, keep the weight about the same, and make good power. You could do a Chrysler/Mitsu 3.0 12v using the D50/MightyMax drivetrain. With a small turbo or a supercharger that would make 300+ rwhp easily, and several peole on here have boosted 3.0's on Megasquirt so if you go with that they can help get your tune squared away pretty quick, probably even give a good base tune to start with. And you'll have room to make over 400 later on, more if you build it w/ forged pistons. Ondonti made over 500whp on his built engine.

Personally I think this would be the easiest swap w/ the best bang for your buck as far as 6-cyl's go.

shadow88
06-01-2013, 11:18 AM
My vote for 6 cylinder engines would go towards a current production engine such as Cordes mentioned. I just came back from a junk yard and couldn't find anything older than 2002 with the sole exeption of a 1963 Jaguar mark 10 that saw it's best days about 2 decades ago.

1999 was the last production year for the 3 liter under Dodge hoods, so the ability to find cores or parts may be getting a little rare.

Force Fed Mopar
06-01-2013, 01:29 PM
Well, a 6g73 or 74 will fit the 3.0 trans also.

Reaper1
06-01-2013, 03:03 PM
Yup, they are all good sugestions.

If I import, it might be a 2 or 1JZ, either one is fine, I was looking on other forums about an RB, they are good but parts and replacements are expensive, and import most of the parts..

I would like to explore all possibilites before making my choice, even though I still dont have enough money to buy the engine, I would like to have my mind set before doing so.

Also, what do you guys recommend to start with? First buy the engine (whichever it is) and then do all the necessary mods to make it RWD, or first do the mods and then get the engine.

I'd say to stay away from the 1JZ simply because it was never really offered in North America, it weighs almost exactly the same as the 2JZ, it's the same physical size, and you just gave up displacement for no real reason besides uniqueness.

I think first you need to figure out what you REALLY want. What is your REAL power goal? (I've found this to be one of the more challenging things to figure out because more ALWAYS sounds better, but is it?) What kind of transmission do you want? Do you want IRS or are you ok with a live axle? What kind of modifications are you capable/willing to make? What amenities do you want in the car (A/C, radio, interior...)? What kind of driving is the car most likely to see?

Make a list of this stuff. Also, what REALLY is your budget? Take what you *think* it's going to cost and triple it. THAT number will be closer to reality to actually complete the project (at least to a high quality standard that isn't just thrown together).

After you do that, THEN you start figuring out what components can play nice that meet your needs. You do NOT want to start chopping and welding the car without the parts you are going to want to put in it.

My vote for 6 cylinder engines would go towards a current production engine such as Cordes mentioned.

1999 was the last production year for the 3 liter under Dodge hoods, so the ability to find cores or parts may be getting a little rare.

Current production engines have a LOT to offer, but can be expensive and difficult to integrate engine management wise unless the plan is to go stand-alone in the first place.

As far as the 3.0 is concerned...I LOVE that engine! Always have, always will. It has a LOT of potential. There is NO WAY it's starting to get hard to find 3.0 parts and cores! It was used in literally MILLIONS of different cars, trucks, and vans, from different manufacturers on at least 4 continents! There is NO WAY they are disappearing! LOL Hell, variants of that engine are STILL being produced! The 6G72 can probably be put right up there with the Ford 300 I6, Ford 5.0, and Chevy 350 as far as usefulness, reliability, durability, and being able to find (stock) parts. Not even our beloved 2.2/2.5 can claim the same.

shadow88
06-01-2013, 06:04 PM
When the price of scrap goes up, the older cars are first to get placed in the crusher. People looking for pre-1999 cars parts are getting rarer and rarer, so the value of the cars and vans of that era are getting closer and closer to scrap.

Reaper1
06-01-2013, 08:24 PM
I think you missed the point. There are more cars/trucks/vans that have that engine in them besides Chrysler products, and the lineage of the engine still is going strong! Who cares if it came out of an '87 Voyager, or a 2005 Hyundai Sonata? It's still the same basic engine.

Ondonti
06-07-2013, 06:36 AM
I think you missed the point. There are more cars/trucks/vans that have that engine in them besides Chrysler products, and the lineage of the engine still is going strong! Who cares if it came out of an '87 Voyager, or a 2005 Hyundai Sonata? It's still the same basic engine.

Agreed that 1JZ is a bad choice. Bad way to save money over choosing the 2JZ.

They are still building 3.8L Mivec 6g75's and I know in Mexico the older cars are still quite plentiful as labor rates to keep them going are low. Most of the ones I see even have good paint or have been repainted. I don't know if 3.0's were used down there but you can currently buy a Ford C4 auto trans adapter setup for 6g7x motors. That transmission would never be a parts problem. 3.0 means you can mock up and run that motor and upgrade to a larger displacement etc later and the bolt pattern is the same, just need to take care of coolant and oil routing.

You could also try the VG30DETT nissan motor.

VQ motors will need rod upgrades to be reliable (same thing with 6g74/6g75, they got thin rods but upgrades can be purchased for ~$600 US). I like them all.

INVUJerry
06-07-2013, 07:42 PM
Had a buddy with an imported skyline with an RB26, converted to a big single. He ended up putting a 2JZ in it for reliability.

Build a 3.9 and boost it, haven't ever seen that in a Daytona.

capev86
07-31-2013, 05:04 PM
Skylines and Supras are nice, but i generally don't like to mix breeds when it comes to cars.....other than to stick a 2.5tbi in my 87 Ram 50 (rebadged mitsubishi).

i would think a straight 6 would be kinda long......i'd be more inclined to jump on a Viper V10. the v8 swap works because they are still only 4 cylinders long. a 440 w/ a 6 pack would be killer in a Daytona, but it would throw off the balance of the car and be VERY tight in the engine bay.

another idea would be to see if you could adapt the AWD system from a Caravan. then you'd have the best of both worlds!