PDA

View Full Version : TIII Holset questions: exhaust manifold studs; drainback hose.

BaxterStockman
05-21-2013, 10:44 AM
Hey all - couple of questions for the Holset experts out there. First, though, big thanks to Jackson for prepping my HE351CW and building an absolutely gorgeous downpipe, and also for providing clear instructions on how to properly install the turbo. You're a master artisan and mensch mechanic, Mr. Simler! :thumb:

A couple of issues popped up during the install that I hadn't encountered in any of the Holset threads on this forum (or that other forum). First, I did as instructed and installed the stock drainback elbow onto the Holset. When I put the turbo in position on the exhaust manifold, the drainback tube and the tube leading to the oil pan were very close, probably an inch or less apart, and were slightly out of alignment with one another. When I installed the silicone hose, there developed a bit of a kink in the bottom - not enough to block flow, but possibly enough to create a concerning obstruction. Any suggestions on what I should do? Perhaps trim a bit off of the metal tube leading to the oil pan?

The second issue concerns the exhaust manifold studs: because the Holset's flange is thicker than the stock turbo's, the studs do not protrude far enough for the bolts to thread on fully. There is enough length that I was able to torque the nuts to the required 40 ft-lbs, but the studs terminate about a quarter of an inch from the far side of the nuts; there's nothing poking past the nuts. Is this something to worry about? Should I install longer studs, or can I get away with the stock ones?

Thanks for any input you can offer!

Lotashelbys
05-22-2013, 08:30 AM
Thanks for the kind words!

1st question,you might have to clock the center section and cover just a little to line up the drainback better. It will line up when you get it clocked right. Its easy to do just loosen up the center V-band clamp.

2nd question,on the setups I have done I have actually taken out the studs and used bolts. I drill the heads for safety wire when you get them locked down to keeo them from ever backing out. I have found it to be easier to get the turbo in and out especially.