PDA

View Full Version : Repairing tabs on 87 CSX grille

csxtra
05-20-2013, 01:27 PM
My grille on my 87 CSX now has a couple of broken tabs on it, and I'd like to fix it and reinforce the tabs while I'm at it.

I know I can't be the first one to go down this road, so I'm looking for tips from those who have done this before.

Also, does anybody know what kind of plastic it is? I didn't see any markings on it telling what the material is.

Thanks,
Warren

trannybuster
05-20-2013, 06:52 PM
Plastex......watch the video.

ajakeski
05-20-2013, 09:01 PM
3M Panel bond adhesive.
It never lets me down.

BadAssPerformance
05-20-2013, 09:03 PM
3M Panel bond adhesive.
It never lets me down.

I was just gonna say talk to this guy ^^^ :clap:

trannybuster
05-20-2013, 09:25 PM
Plastex..watch the video. More than one solution does exist, in fact with plastex you can MAKE A TAB, not sure if adhesive can do that(however it does look like good stuff)

csxtra
05-24-2013, 02:41 PM
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. After some research, it appears that the 87 CSX grille is made of ABS plastic.

I got a sheet of black ABS plastic, some fiberglass drywall tape, and some Oatey Black ABS cement (basically ABS plastic melted in solvent) and I will be rebuilding the tabs (including the missing pieces...doh!) and reinforcing it with the fiberglass tape.

This approach is basically the same as using the Plastex kit, except I will be keeping the material all ABS so I shouldn't have to worry about bonding dissimilar materials.

I'll let you all know how it goes.

Thanks again!

Warren

Rrider
05-24-2013, 07:00 PM
I use plastifix powder/liquid kit for ABS repair. They have solutions for other types of plastics too.