PDA

View Full Version : Heat wrap

86lance
08-22-2006, 03:46 AM
Well im going to be putting my 2.5 inch downpipe back up along with the 3 inch side exit attached to it. Question is do you guys think i should wrap the downpipe and rest of the mess with some exhaust heat wrap to aid in spoolup and underhood temps? Ive read it degrades the metal in like nascars and stuff but i doubt it would do any harm to my downpipe and 3 inch tubes. What do you think?

turbovanmanČ
08-22-2006, 04:04 AM
I wrapped my DP and I swear it ran better but I wouldn't wrap the rest of your exhaust. It will cause it to rot faster so maybe use Stainless.

86lance
08-22-2006, 04:14 AM
Yeah i just dont think some people on this board ever sleep,lol Well if its gona make it rot pretty quickly i might not wana use it on my already somewhat rotted downpipe,lol I might anyways as this exhaust system is basically just going to be on the car untill the body falls apart around the common block and 555 trans,lol

Turbodave
08-22-2006, 04:07 PM
Yeah i just dont think some people on this board ever sleep,lol Well if its gona make it rot pretty quickly i might not wana use it on my already somewhat rotted downpipe,lol I might anyways as this exhaust system is basically just going to be on the car untill the body falls apart around the common block and 555 trans,lol

Just think, your car should keep getting lighter and faster as it ages.

I would think that the biggest gains would be in keeping the heat in the exhaust path prior to the turbo as opposed to after it.

Rattlesnake
08-22-2006, 05:18 PM
I had mine wraped and I learned my lesson. For the little performance you get by wrapping your exhaust it is not worth it. My exhaust cracked wherever it was wrapped and factory joints came appart during my 2nd session at the road course. After that I never put them on again. I've been to the track after I removed the wrap, and never had cracked pipe again.

BadAssPerformance
08-22-2006, 05:21 PM
I only wrap the exhaust on my Z cuz it is close to the fire wall and the car is garage kept. I would try to keep from wrapping it on a daily driver that is kept outside duse to the condensation that will inevitibly rot the exhaust off.

Rattlesnake
08-22-2006, 06:18 PM
My car is garage kept, and I only drive it hard on the road course. Thermal expansion and contraction cracked my exhaust, not rust; my exhaust was brand new,not even 2 days old when that happened.

86lance
08-22-2006, 06:24 PM
well the downpipe is wrapped already,so too late,it isnt like i cant go and buy another one for cheap. Besides by time this one rots away this engine/tranny combo will probabaly be in another car with a 3 inch swingvalve and downpipe

MiniMopar
08-22-2006, 06:43 PM
The early stock turbo downpipes (86 and earlier) were wrapped with an aluminum/fiberglass shell...at least for automatics. The heat shields did not extend all the way to the firewall back then. So I think it is fine to wrap just the DP, prehaps avoiding any welded joints.

86lance
08-22-2006, 07:34 PM
yeah the downpipe on my old lancer had all the heat junk on it as well. So hopefully mine will be alright,not to mention makes it look darn spiffy as well.