PDA

View Full Version : No start - no fire

Neat Hedgehog
05-13-2013, 08:00 PM
So... after dumping a rather large wad of cash into completely new suspension, radiator, gaskets, seals, oil cooler, etc... my '84 Laser has been sitting like a lump since Friday. I can get a ride to work for a few days, but then that guy's on vacation, so I'm kinda in a spot.

I get anywhere from 8.5 to 9.5 volts cranking at the coil, and as the output for the ASD. I get 12v to the positive side of the ASD, but that drops as soon as I start cranking and all I get is the 8.5v. The tach spins like a top when it cranks, so I assumed bad ground, but I've checked all my grounds and can't find anything wrong; no high resistance, nothing disconnected.

I tried jumping from the battery to the coil, but the motor locks up as soon as it fires a few times, if it even manages to fire at all. Granted I flooded it pretty good Friday, but I pulled the plugs and cleaned them up, spun the engine over a couple times to clear the cylinders, and dripped a drop or two of oil in them to keep the rings from drying out from the gas vapors, so I can't imagine it's still fouled bad enough not to spark if they could get proper voltage. I have a jump pack, so killing it via cranking isn't a big concern.

I basically have no ideas at this point, except that I have to tear through every miserable harness that any wires related to the ignition go through, but I don't have time to screw around with dead ends when I'm gone twelve hours a day, so I really hoped I could search and find a "oh, thats a common solution" thread, but... well, nothing I haven't tried already came up.

Any tips would certainly be appreciated.

Neat Hedgehog
05-16-2013, 01:23 PM
Well, nevermind. Turned out to be the new ASD. It was just as bad as the last one. I'm not going to bother wasting time at the parts stores anymore; I'll get a real relay that can handle the voltage I need it to.

I have bigger things to worry about now, though. Like the cat being plugged to death.