PDA

View Full Version : pumping eff change for big valve head.

Joe_Van_Duno
05-09-2013, 07:14 PM
Hey guys,

Just curious if anyone has a baseline tune they could share that has the pumping efficiency table adjusted for a big valve head. I've made a 3 major changes this year to my van, and I'd like to get a "base" tune for the setup as I'm not that comfortable making big changes to the tune.

Here are the 3 changes I made.

1) ported big valve head
2) Extremely ported 2 pc intake
3) custom equal length tubular header
4) 52mm TB

Any tips, suggestions, or tune shares are greatly appreciated.

Joe

1BADVAN
05-09-2013, 07:48 PM
Dang sounds like you are going for 11s! Good luck with the tune

tryingbe
05-09-2013, 08:03 PM
2.2L? 2.5L?

Your mile may vary.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?68668-Post-up-your-Pump-Efficiency-Table!!&highlight=

zin
05-09-2013, 08:11 PM
When tuning almost anything, it's best to start "too much" fuel and "not enough" timing.

I imagine a stock timing curve would be a good place to start, then adjust the pump eff to more than you think it needs, then see what the wide band says, and go from there...

This assumes no one chimes in with a known good cal for the mods you've listed, which of course would be a more efficient way to go.

Mike

ShelGame
05-09-2013, 10:27 PM
Generally speaking, when you improve the flow by porting or adding bigger valves, the PEFTBL will 'rotate' around the peak. So, that the higher RPM values go up and the lower RPM values go down. As a reference, I use about -2% points down in the low RPM for a mild port and +3-4% up in the high RPM. Also, if you're going to rev it higher than stock, you will want to reduce the % at very high RPM. The Stock tables level out after ~6k rpm as extra safety (the PumpEff does NOT level off like this). You'll want to continue that line downward to at least your peak RPM.

shmedley
05-09-2013, 10:37 PM
Hey guys,

Just curious if anyone has a baseline tune they could share that has the pumping efficiency table adjusted for a big valve head. I've made a 3 major changes this year to my van, and I'd like to get a "base" tune for the setup as I'm not that comfortable making big changes to the tune.

Here are the 3 changes I made.

1) ported big valve head
2) Extremely ported 2 pc intake
3) custom equal length tubular header
4) 52mm TB

Any tips, suggestions, or tune shares are greatly appreciated.

Joe

I might have went to public schools but I swear there is a number 4 in there Joe when you said 3 :lol:

Joe_Van_Duno
05-10-2013, 09:54 AM
I'm running the original 2.5L, or course there are a few changes to the block.

just realized the peftbl is the pumping eff table....lol for some reason I was having a brain fart.

I'll be heading out to the store to pick up a new laptop shortly, my current one the charging plug decided to stop working. Once I get back I'll be tuning / datalogging like a mofo!!! I've only got like 6 weeks till SDAC right???

GLHNSLHT2
05-10-2013, 07:01 PM
I usually let the Wastegate flapper flap in the breeze so I get zero boost, Then go out and do a 3rd gear WOT run to redline and datalog the A/F. With a stock head, 2 piece, ported exhaust manny, S60 turbo, 3" exhaust and a FMIC I didn't have to touch the lower end at all but had to increase the top end a bit above 5200rpms for the 2.5 liter map and engine I was running. Going to a ported head, big plenum intake, tube header I had to bump it all 20% up to 12psi as that's as far as I got before tearing it all down to swap to a different setup. Odd part is I had to increase the Pump Eff table at idle 50% to keep the car from going full lean and dying.