PDA

View Full Version : MSD Coils

JohnnyLightning86
01-05-2006, 08:27 PM
Got to the part in my automotive studies where I am learning about the ignition system. After reading the stuff about the coil, I am curious to know what the advantage of an aftermarket performance coil would be since it's primary function is just to turn low voltage into high voltage. I am guessing the performance coil generates more voltage. But it seems to me that those could potentially damage other components such as the HEPA or could cause detonation if the spark was too hot. Though I wonder what the affect is on the plugs.

Are plugs limited to a maximum amount of voltage or do they have built in resistance that prevents damage?

Then if the plugs or other electrical reisitance counters the amount of voltage, what's the point of use something like an MSD?

Just curious,
Mike

turbovanmanČ
01-05-2006, 09:03 PM
Using a higher voltage coil is useless if your using crap wires first off, you must use spiro wire minimum to maximize the effects. Yes, there are more windings to step up the coil. Regular replacement coils won't really help except if the old coil is weak. The better coils do throw out more voltage but only when needed. Yes, it can wear out plugs faster due to the hotter spark. I am running an Aurora coil, a very hot coil with a built in module, I kill regular plugs in 5-10,000 kms so tryng the iridiums and so far so good. No issues with Heps or cap wear and i have 45,000 on the Hep and changed the cap 3 k ago.

JohnnyLightning86
01-06-2006, 10:21 AM
Thanks Simon. That tells me I was on the right track. I am not looking at putting a performance coil on my cars. But I thought the topic I was studying was really interesting. Last night I was reading about the triggering device that turns the primary winding on and off to generate the spark. I am guessing on the TD's that trigger is the HEPA? Would that be correct? The book mentioned that in older cars the triggering device was the points in the distributor. Which lead me to think HEPA.

GLHSKEN
01-06-2006, 10:24 AM
Yes, The HEP is the trigger

turbovanmanČ
01-06-2006, 01:07 PM
Thanks Simon. That tells me I was on the right track. I am not looking at putting a performance coil on my cars. But I thought the topic I was studying was really interesting. Last night I was reading about the triggering device that turns the primary winding on and off to generate the spark. I am guessing on the TD's that trigger is the HEPA? Would that be correct? The book mentioned that in older cars the triggering device was the points in the distributor. Which lead me to think HEPA.

I wouldn't say OLDER cars, lol! but yeah, 2.2.s and 2.5's use the HEP, 3.0L's use an Optical sensor in the distributor and 3.3's and 3.8's use crank sensors.

2.216VTurbo
01-08-2006, 09:52 PM
Just to add to the MSD thread...

I 'burned' through a couple of Blaster II's over about a 10 year period but with only a few thousand miles on each. I had thought it was an old wives tale that if you mount an oil filled type coil on it's side, the air bubble at the top can expose a small portion of the windings leading to overheating/failure. Recently, a rep for MSD told me that it is true that oil filled coils should be placed upright in the engine bay (especially aftermarket coils which generate more heat). Now I'm running the new style MSD which has 'potted' windings and can be mounted in any position. I'm wondering why if the windings in the new MSD Blaster SS are potted, why does it come with little rubber isolators to mount the coil on? Why would a potted product be sensitive to vibration? Where is that MSD rep when I need him?:p

Alan