PDA

View Full Version : PT Turbo motor worth grabbing?

strang3majik
05-06-2013, 12:10 AM
I have a PT Cruiser turbo motor out of a wreck that is available to me for a decent price.

I've always longed to put an SRT4 motor in my Omni, so...is this a viable solution? It was running when it got rear ended.

If its worth grabbing, what should I get? ENgine, engine harness, computer???

Are the PT turbo motors even anything special? Or are they nothing like an srt 2.4?

Thanks guys...if its worth grabbing I'll probably pick it up tomorrow. But if its not, I'll just snag some parts off it.

GLHTAY
05-06-2013, 12:29 AM
yes, grab it. It is the same engine less the intake manifold, which a pt or a srt-4 intake will not work in the omni. I'm currently doing this swap myself. Engine and harness is all you need. As far as I know the computer will not work unless you run the whole anti-theft system which turns out to be a much more difficult swap. Just run a mega squirt setup and be done with it.-cheers:thumb:

strang3majik
05-06-2013, 12:34 AM
Thank you. Good insight. How about transmission? Just use my 555 or grab the getrag if it has one (Might be auto, I'm not sure.)

And just the engine harness? Nothing inside? What about the turbofold?

I'd like stock srt power and reliability. Nothing insane...but will the turbo fold fit? Lol

Thanks for your quick response though! Never really considered the swap viable until now...haha.

Force Fed Mopar
05-06-2013, 01:11 AM
I know a guy who used the SRT intake in an Omni, so it can work.

Keito
05-06-2013, 08:25 AM
For electronics do what Rob did.
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?9610-project-srt-4-mini&highlight=

strang3majik
05-06-2013, 11:09 AM
Is it really that easy? Just use t2 stuff with a distributor adapter??? Do you need smec/sbec or can I still use the older lm and pm setup?

With that and the passenger side mount it sounds like pretty much a bolt in deal then???!!! A special computer tune of course.

85boostbox
05-06-2013, 11:53 AM
Passenger side and front motor mount has to be fabbed up to work. It is not hard. I could actually make you a set if need be. I have a friend here that has a 2.4 swapped 79 omni that I could copy off of his mounts and make you a set. Just text me if your interested or I will text you.

contraption22
05-06-2013, 12:20 PM
Grab everything you can. Get the entire engine harness, dash harness, steering column.

strang3majik
05-06-2013, 10:06 PM
Picking it up Friday! :)

And why the steering column?

But what all would you recommend I grab? It's at a junkyard so I am paying for everything but its still a good deal.

Thinking I may throw it in the omni or maybe a 2 gen neon and have a Srt withou the high insurance. Idk. Lol

strang3majik
05-06-2013, 11:08 PM
And my dad and I have preferred customer rights at this yard :P they pulled it out of the row and set it aside for me. Haha

GLHTAY
05-07-2013, 12:02 AM
The 555 or even better 568 will work with very little modification to one bell housing bolt hole. You will need 89 and newer automatic omni axles and fab up some engine mounts. The turbo-fold will fit just fine. The distributor modification kit and cal upgrade will most likely be the easiest and cheapest way to go. Or run megasquirt and individual LS style coils for more tuning options. Check out turbogod.com he had some decent info on the swap. Let me rephrase my statement on the srt intake not working. It will work if you run a pusher fan and possibly a aftermarket radiator, but will also take up vaulable space for intercooler plumbing and limit in that way. Im personally building a box type intake like Darrell cox racing builds and sells

turbovanmanČ
05-07-2013, 03:03 AM
Is it really that easy? Just use t2 stuff with a distributor adapter??? Do you need smec/sbec or can I still use the older lm and pm setup?

Yep, makes tuning a snap. I would go SMEC.

contraption22
05-07-2013, 09:04 AM
Picking it up Friday! :)

And why the steering column?

But what all would you recommend I grab? It's at a junkyard so I am paying for everything but its still a good deal.

Thinking I may throw it in the omni or maybe a 2 gen neon and have a Srt withou the high insurance. Idk. Lol

If you want to do a complete swap, with the electronics and everything, you will need the SKIM module in the steering column (key switch).

zin
05-07-2013, 10:50 AM
Full swap sounds like the ideal situation, no adapters and no tuning required ...

Can the SKIM module be run without using the column?

Mik

contraption22
05-07-2013, 10:54 AM
Yes, you just need to have it somewhere. With the original ignition key as well.

zin
05-07-2013, 01:22 PM
I imagine a new key could be made, if one could provide the VIN?

Mike

csx516
05-07-2013, 01:29 PM
I imagine a new key could be made, if one could provide the VIN?

Mikejust pull door lock it has most of the cuts just pm me I can help you with the key problem

contraption22
05-07-2013, 04:10 PM
The problem is that there that the key is uniquely electronically coded to the ignition. I don't know what chrysler's policy is about issuing new keys. I do know that the PCM and the SKIM have to match or the car will not start.

thedon809
05-07-2013, 04:46 PM
Typically you need the Vin and proof of ownership to get a key made. I could make you a key if you get me the Vin of the PT (I work at a dodge dealer). The key also has to be programmed to the skim module. You would need the 4 digit pin code and a drb3 to do this. I can get the pin with the Vin.

strang3majik
05-07-2013, 05:47 PM
Anyone have a linky to the complete swap with harness and everything? I've done some searching but I'm finding a little bit here and a little less there. Lol.

That would be very cool to have it completely OBDII. Reliability and the modern convenience would be nice as well.

But could I use my original gauge cluster/etc? Do I need the fuse box and everything? I'm kinda confused as to what all I need and don't...lol I just don't want to have to perform a wiring miracle to get that to work.

strang3majik
05-07-2013, 08:44 PM
I am also considering picking up a base 03-05 neon and swapping this in as well. Cheap srt4 with. Cheap insurance. Haha.

That swap seems very straight forward as well.

Swapping all these harnesses just makes my head hurt. I already have to just for the t2 swap. Lol

zin
05-07-2013, 08:54 PM
When in doubt, take it! Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it!

And yes, I'd say you'd want/need the fuse box for a complete transplant... Gauges could be made to work, but you'd likely have to mod the existing harness or run wires for them.

Mike

thedon809
05-07-2013, 10:16 PM
When in doubt, take it! Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it!

And yes, I'd say you'd want/need the fuse box for a complete transplant... Gauges could be made to work, but you'd likely have to mod the existing harness or run wires for them.

MikeThe words a hoarder lives by haha. I think there is a thread where a guy did a complete srt swap in a wagon. It was pretty detailed if I remember right.

strang3majik
05-07-2013, 11:58 PM
If anybody can get me a link on what I would do with the harness once I got it. That'd be swell. Lol.

Thanks for all the info so far guys. Regardless of its final destination it's a great engine to have laying around. Haha

Ondonti
05-08-2013, 10:38 AM
I think even the transmission would be of worth. Best 41te that I know of.

contraption22
05-08-2013, 10:20 PM
Obviously Srt4 power train to neon would be a direct swap. Not so sure about the pt electronics tho. Grab everything you can!

strang3majik
05-10-2013, 10:07 AM
Transmission is too pricy since I don't have a use for it. :/

And if anyone has any last minute ideas lmk. Getting ready to head up there.

And does anyone know the size of the torque converter bolts so I can get that thing off?

strang3majik
05-10-2013, 10:22 PM
Well didnt completely get it today. Got all the bs off the engine and its ready for the cradle to be dropped. Got the intercooler (which is quite large btw) and got the complete harness attached to te engine. Still need to grab te under dash harness as well and the skim module. Oil looks like brand new. I'm quite excited. Haha!

But still wondering about the torque converter bolt size if anyone knows. Just want to make sure I bring the right tools. I have up to a 19mm crescent wrench, that work?

Force Fed Mopar
05-11-2013, 12:19 AM
Either 15mm or 18mm on the torque converter bolts.

GLHTAY
05-21-2013, 02:05 AM
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?71208-Srt-4-omni&highlight=

Here is my Build thread using a PT Power Plant. This may help you with some questions

strang3majik
05-22-2013, 03:24 AM
Thank you for the link. Though I believe I'm sticking with tii electronics with a distributor adapter. Much simpler and I'm not doing anything crazy. A mildly done stock engine will be just fine for me. Besides its only a tune, intake manifold, and turbo back exhaust away from being an srt4 engine.

The way my Srt ran would be loads of fun in the omni. Not looking for too much more.