PDA

View Full Version : Smoking problem

altered7151
01-05-2006, 08:11 PM
Ok I sold a head a few months back to someone (if he wants to chime in here I have no problem with it), and when I had the head on my car it never uttered a puff of smoke, and always ran like a champ. Now the new owner had the head on his car and has a smoking problem with it. He states that if he downshifts, stops, then takes off it smokes like a train. Doesn't really sound like a head/guide issue to me, maybe more of a turbo issue. I want to help the guy out, and especially dont want him to think I tried to screw him on the head. In my experience it seemed leaky guides were a continuous smoking problem, not just an intermittent prob. Any suggestions?

GLHSKEN
01-05-2006, 08:23 PM
Leaky seals would be continuous... If there is NO smoke at start-up.. then it smokes after it is warm... Turbo.. A turbo starting to go out.. downshift.. R's go up... oil pressure goes up.. more oil pushes past the turbo seal. Smokes in the hot exhaust.

altered7151
01-05-2006, 08:27 PM
Thats what I was thinking. He did say that it smokes a little on start up then goes away. I didn't have that problem, but the head did sit here for about 7-8 months, and since the climate is so dry here the seals could have dried up some. He said he had some new seals and would probably put them on, but guess he didn't. I cant imagine seals causing big clouds of smoke like that though.

GLHSKEN
01-05-2006, 09:01 PM
Neither can I...

TrrboJeep
01-05-2006, 09:20 PM
Smoking under acceloration = rings or turbo... smoking under deceloration = valve seals.:nod: