PDA

View Full Version : SDAC-23… Top Van!!!

BadAssPerformance
04-28-2013, 01:13 PM
We have had some fun competition in recent years with folks competing for our Top Gun award and decided to expand on that!
This year will be the trial year to see if it catches on. Here is the thought… What if we were to use our Top Gun rules, and select a specific body style to see which entry prevailed overall in Car Show, Drag Race, Auto X and Rally. As with Top Gun, we will require participation in a minimum of 3 of the 4 events and offer a bonus to any that compete in all 4.

With so many different body styles to choose from it is somewhat difficult to select one to start with. Thinking outside the box, we decided to go with the actual “box”, our Minivans! Over the years, we have had a few Minivans participate in our events, but at most 2 or 3 in one year.
Although you may not expect it, we have had Minivans in the running for our Top Gun award, so they are definitely no slouches with the competition. At the track they are a spectator favorite for sure. I think we can all agree that it would be great to see a healthy van turnout at SDAC-23.

Of course, when we think Shelby Dodges and Minivans, we are primarily thinking of the 1989-1990 factory turbocharged Minivans, however are definitely open to other Mopar Minivans. For example, a Turbo-II converted 1987 MiniRamVan, a Turbo-III stuffed in a 1991 Caravan or even an SRT-4 swapped 1997 Voyager, that’s fine. If you have another Chrysler Minivan that you would like to participate and are unsure if it would meet the intent of the class, it probably will, so please contact JT directly to confirm.

Modifications are allowed and encouraged to make the competition more fun. If you have a huge turbo, a 16V conversion, AWD swap, etc. bring it. Remember, to participate in the Fun Run Rally, all vehicles must be registered, licensed and insured.

So here’s the deal, for this to happen, we need a MINIMUM of 5 Minivans Pre-Registered for SDAC-23. In addition to SDAC-23 event registration, we also need entrance into the Drag Racing and/or AutoX. Remember, to be eligible, a vehicle must compete in 3 of the 4 events, and a bonus for participating in all 4. If we get enough pre-registered to make this happen, we will also add a “Minivan” class to our car show.
And the added bonus, all Top Van participants will also be eligible for Top Gun as well, so you could win it all!

UPDATE:

For Minivans that plan to Auto-X:

-Van MUST have improved suspension and, preferably lowered
-Stock height, stock suspension vans might not be allowed to run

Anyone have concern if their van meets the requirements PLEASE contact me directly with list of handling mods and picture(s) of hw it sits and I'll check with our safety stewards.

Good news is that TOP VAN only required 3/4 events, but there is a bonus for participating in all 4

cordes
04-28-2013, 01:42 PM
This should be great. I really hope we get at least 5 vans out there.

j4278h
04-29-2013, 10:43 PM
Count me in, with the captain america van

Vigo
04-30-2013, 10:44 AM
....It's beautiful...http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/Vigo327/Emoticons/emot-911_zps06a1a7ca.gif

BadAssPerformance
04-30-2013, 01:35 PM
Jason, do you seriously own that van!? Bring it down!

j4278h
04-30-2013, 02:11 PM
Jason, do you seriously own that van!? Bring it down!

Yep, picked it up yesterday. Within seconds of seeing the van,. my son dubbed it the Captain America Van and I couldn't think of a more appropriate name for it.

I will be entering it in the TOP VAN but with its 3.0 and a604 I do not expect to be anywhere near the competition in the autocross or drag race.

Pat
04-30-2013, 02:17 PM
That is hysterical!

moparman76_69
04-30-2013, 03:26 PM
Count me in, with the captain america van

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR1IQ7dPY6tD3yeaIrEa9aMg4tksNqiH 6vVoOy0MCVtj4hbopak

As for me, I'm not sure if it'll be up and running by then.

trbowgn
04-30-2013, 03:54 PM
Yep, picked it up yesterday. Within seconds of seeing the van,. my son dubbed it the Captain America Van and I couldn't think of a more appropriate name for it.

I will be entering it in the TOP VAN but with its 3.0 and a604 I do not expect to be anywhere near the competition in the autocross or drag race.

Just couldn't pass that one up?

Vigo
04-30-2013, 04:22 PM
3.0 and a604 I do not expect to be anywhere near the competition in the autocross or drag race.

Join the boosted 3.0 ranks. There is still time!

I got my 8v/5spd van running again on sunday. Im planning to see how fast it will go on a t1 clutch and tbi bottom end hopefully next weds, and then see if i can get it 3.0/5spd w/m90 boost-swapped by the end of may. Im not doing it for SDAC, but crazy things have happened before. Last time i went to sdac i didnt know until like 3 weeks before it happened.

zin
05-01-2013, 09:36 PM
One word will make you competitive .... NITROUS!!!

Just need to see if Bradp still has the lil'bastard rental car kit (mk1.5). Installs in seconds and takes off seconds!

Mike

turbovanman²
05-02-2013, 04:23 AM
Bummer, won't be there, :(

wheming
05-02-2013, 04:51 AM
That's what has me bummed out since I got my Up Front....
Mean Mini is still in pieces.
If by some miracle she is all together in time, I don't think she'd be ready to race and be competitive.
I need to go out of town for a week of training, and one of my valuable 5 day weekends I'll be in Canada making the GF happy (well, and me too ;) ).

Slug was the backup plan and now I found an exhaust stud leaking coolant. I keep having setback after setback. But on the bright side, at least I haven't got Lyme Disease yet!

moparman76_69
05-02-2013, 07:34 AM
I warned my wife that I'm about to put in some long days trying to get it done. I'll be cutting it close.

Mopar318
05-02-2013, 07:50 AM
Be aware. SCCA insurance usually won't allow for van or SUV's to run. Have you checked into that?

zin
05-02-2013, 10:55 AM
Full size? Perhaps minis aren't included ...

Mike

Rrider
05-02-2013, 11:21 AM
Is there a weight designation between mini and full size van? Tell them that these older minis are lighter than most new cars!

j4278h
05-02-2013, 01:20 PM
Be aware. SCCA insurance usually won't allow for van or SUV's to run. Have you checked into that?

how about trucks? or station wagons?

could make a case for the mini being classified as either.

BadAssPerformance
05-02-2013, 01:22 PM
Interesting. I will look into this and advise.

turbovanman²
05-02-2013, 06:00 PM

Why? Cause family hauler? :(

cordes
05-02-2013, 06:07 PM
Why? Cause family hauler? :(

The higher CG. The local club around here won't let SUVs, trucks, or any vans run. There have been several local Trailblazer SS and SRT8 Cherokee drivers ticked off about the rule for sure.

Pat
05-02-2013, 07:26 PM
Oooo...I forgot about the truck/van rules. I have seen them get turned away here also.

See what you can work out, JT.

turbovanman²
05-02-2013, 07:55 PM
So what? Totally unfair, its racism, :(

wheming
05-02-2013, 08:52 PM
Well no autox would be fine with me. It would help remove some of my disadvantage!
Maybe you can add the category of most money spent on a van in the last 12 months or something?? That might give me an advantage!

moparman76_69
05-02-2013, 10:37 PM
Well no autox would be fine with me. It would help remove some of my disadvantage!
Maybe you can add the category of most money spent on a van in the last 12 months or something?? That might give me an advantage!

Lol yeah that's funny. I'd win most money in a heartbeat.

Reaper1
05-02-2013, 11:00 PM
I hope this happens! Turbo vans are by far the most awesome vehicle ever devised! LOL I LOVE them!!!

BadAssPerformance
05-03-2013, 10:06 AM
Oooo...I forgot about the truck/van rules. I have seen them get turned away here also.

See what you can work out, JT.

Working on it

moparman76_69
05-03-2013, 12:53 PM
My van with the 2.5 in it was 3400 without the rear seat. That's a SWB van. I'm looking at my weight being around 3800 with the AWD and it will be about 3 in. lower than stock. The CG on it shouldn't be any worse than a newer car based crossover, something like a caliber. It really isn't much larger than a caliber either height wise.

Mopar318
05-03-2013, 02:57 PM
They don't let crossovers run either. Only SRT caliber is allowed.

There is a formula they do. I believe the cg has to be less than half the distance of the track width from the ground .

Rrider
05-03-2013, 03:33 PM
How the heck do they calculate that? From manufacturer data? Do they still base on stock data when youre dropped?

Reaper1
05-03-2013, 07:41 PM
Man, it's not like these are Suzuki Samuri's or something!

Somebody show them the video of the guy with the turbo van running it around the circle track!

moparman76_69
05-03-2013, 08:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=k9U5sx_gt7c&NR=1

BadAssPerformance
05-03-2013, 08:24 PM
Update... Minivans should be OK if modified for cornering or lowered... waiting for full confirmation

cordes
05-03-2013, 08:35 PM
Man, it's not like these are Suzuki Samuri's or something!

Somebody show them the video of the guy with the turbo van running it around the circle track!

The Samurai got a bad rap from consumer reports. They forced it to do what it did while not putting other vehicles through the same paces. It is one of the worst hit pieces I've ever heard of.

Update... Minivans should be OK if modified for cornering or lowered... waiting for full confirmation

Cue Mr. Burns.

jonnyb
05-04-2013, 01:30 PM
Oh wow...guess I really need to think about switching gears and putting the van resto on the top of the list!!! Hmmmm....7 weeks to paint it, rebuild engine and tranny, add some performance goodies and make some suspension tweaks. I don't know if I can pull that off, but I think I might just try!!!

wheming
05-04-2013, 10:03 PM
Oh wow...guess I really need to think about switching gears and putting the van resto on the top of the list!!! Hmmmm....7 weeks to paint it, rebuild engine and tranny, add some performance goodies and make some suspension tweaks. I don't know if I can pull that off, but I think I might just try!!!

Go for it! ;)
You need me to put these scrapers in the mail then??

BadAssPerformance
05-05-2013, 02:45 AM

That's the spirit! :clap:

jonnyb
05-05-2013, 09:19 AM
Go for it! ;)
You need me to put these scrapers in the mail then??

Give me a few days to see what I can get lined up, but I'm thinking I'm going to go for it! So yeah, I'm probably going to need those scrapers sooner than I thought!

---------- Post added at 09:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 AM ----------

That's the spirit! :clap:

No - I'm talking about my van JT - not any of my Spirit's....LOL! ;)

BadAssPerformance
05-05-2013, 09:42 AM
Give me a few days to see what I can get lined up, but I'm thinking I'm going to go for it! So yeah, I'm probably going to need those scrapers sooner than I thought!

---------- Post added at 09:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 AM ----------

No - I'm talking about my van JT - not any of my Spirit's....LOL! ;)

LOL, left myself open for that one!

A man with a van and a plan.. awesome!

wheming
05-05-2013, 10:07 PM
Yeah, and that will really make me feel even worse if Jon slaps all that together before I get my sh!t together!
I've only been restoring Mini for like what? 2 years now!

jonnyb
05-06-2013, 12:51 PM
OK - looks like I'm going for it! Got the paint booth lined up for the week of May 20 and the decal guy is going to have the decals ready for me next week.

I pulled the engine and transmission yesterday and got it all torn down. Things look OK, so I'm just going to clean it all up and put new rings/bearings in. Transmission is getting dropped off at Cliffs later this week for complete tare down and rebuild.

So if I can get the van prepped and ready for paint by the 20th, I'm hoping to be done with paint and body work by end of May - that will give me 3 weeks to put the motor back together and install. That's pretty tight seeing as I'll need to rig up an intercooler and get a custom cal done too, but I'm hoping I can get it done!

wheming
05-06-2013, 06:14 PM
Damn....the competition is getting fierce...
And energetic!
:D

BadAssPerformance
05-06-2013, 06:16 PM
:clap:

2.216VTurbo
05-07-2013, 11:34 PM
OK - looks like I'm going for it! Got the paint booth lined up for the week of May 20 and the decal guy is going to have the decals ready for me next week.

I pulled the engine and transmission yesterday and got it all torn down. Things look OK, so I'm just going to clean it all up and put new rings/bearings in. Transmission is getting dropped off at Cliffs later this week for complete tare down and rebuild.

So if I can get the van prepped and ready for paint by the 20th, I'm hoping to be done with paint and body work by end of May - that will give me 3 weeks to put the motor back together and install. That's pretty tight seeing as I'll need to rig up an intercooler and get a custom cal done too, but I'm hoping I can get it done!

AJ told me he has a S60/20% injector 2.5 cal that had his van running really strong, um before he went all SRT4 that is:D IT's the call I'm gonna use in Woody when the head gasket finally goes and the new top end parts go on:eyebrows: He'll share:thumb:

wheming
05-08-2013, 11:06 AM
What was the boost limit in that cal?

2.216VTurbo
05-08-2013, 01:24 PM
What was the boost limit in that cal?

Great question for AJ, send him a PM...

BadAssPerformance
05-10-2013, 10:21 PM
Updated post 1 with Auto X info...

j4278h
05-10-2013, 11:04 PM
What is stock ride height for a van?

BadAssPerformance
05-11-2013, 10:19 AM
Good question. You got a stocker in your fleet to measure? Maybe we can measure Joe's before we lower it...

wheming
05-11-2013, 11:13 AM
Does polybushings, front konis, HD springs (stock ride height),
And in the rear Ranch shocks, polybushings, helper coils and stock leaf springs
Along with completely removed rear interior (lightened)
Qualify?
I'm an auto anyway, so autox times would probably suck.

BadAssPerformance
05-11-2013, 07:39 PM
I think it would. Do you have pics before and after that I could send the safety crew?

wheming
05-11-2013, 08:29 PM
Don't have any before pics, only after.

fishcleaner
05-11-2013, 10:39 PM
Don't make me throw a turbo on this and kick all your azzes

wheming
05-22-2013, 12:06 PM
You know, the reality of my situation has been sinking in and the more I think about it I'm starting to get depressed.
At this point there is just no way I can have Mini back together and ready to drive 10 hrs and race.
I've just got too much that needs to be done and I should get my turbo and a couple other tidbits needed to complete the motor sometime next week most likely. I will literally have about 4-5 days I can even work on it from now until it'll be time to leave. I've been working on restoring her and some upgrades and to try and get her to an SDAC national for the last 2+ years. It's really got me bummed out.
The backup plan was to have Slugmobile ready also, and although she is together, she hasn't had anything more than some break-in driving and mild boosting. I'm about to try and check out the recent leaking studs repair and see if everything looks good.
She hasn't had any racing since SDAC 13. I guess at this point I need to decide if I want to try and make it with Slug, and if I should try to race. She hasn't been checked out for her current state of Gus tuning, but hopefully she is close. She also still has a few straggling items that need addressed.
If I thought she was good to go for racing, I'd still have to get some new slicks.
Its just been a long and arduous road and once again my big plans have been thwarted by life/fate/luck.

BadAssPerformance
05-22-2013, 01:32 PM
Totally understand where you're at Wayne, I haven't had any time to work on my car yet this year either. Hope you can make it out no matter what you bring :thumb:

moparman76_69
05-22-2013, 04:03 PM
I'm in the same boat, there is no way I'll have the ability to collect everything I need and have time to get it done with just over 4 weeks to go. I'm thinking of borrowing a dolly and towing it to the show so everyone can see the progress first hand since I'm so close.

BadAssPerformance
05-22-2013, 06:56 PM
We have had WIP's at SDAC shows before :thumb:

jonnyb
05-22-2013, 11:32 PM
So I wrote up a whole new thread in the project log section last night (I uploaded pictures and everything), and then I accidentally closed the browser while I was previewing the post!!! Oh well - I'll try again tomorrow!

Van is coming along - dropped it off for final sanding/primer and paint yesterday. Supposedly it will be ready on Friday. I've got some new turn signal/parking lenses on the way and Wayne was nice enough to let go of a good set of window scrapers. So those pieces, along with fresh trim paint on around the windows etc. should compliment the new paint nicely. This is the first car that my buddy John isn't painting for me (and I've had a lot painted...LOL), so I'm hoping it comes out OK.

I'm going to let the van sit inside the trailer for a week while I get all the parts I just ordered, and I'll work on getting the motor together. That way the paint will have a little time to harden before I start messing with the reassembly. Not to mention, the pollen and oak tree droppings are nasty right now, so I don't really want the van sitting out in that with fresh paint.

Had a bummer of an incident this week though. I removed the interior hatch trim to get at the nuts that hold the liftgate license plate trim on, and I dropped the trim piece! It basically cracked in half so that the entire part the surrounds the window separated from the bottom part that has the lights and speakers. One of the speaker grill covers took some damage too. I doubt I'll ever find a replacement, so I'm going to try some plastic epoxy and see what happens!

Jon

fishcleaner
05-22-2013, 11:48 PM
Amy Schumer is hot for Mini's

wheming
05-23-2013, 12:13 AM
Beige interior Jon?
I don't remember if there's one in the yard nearby. I know red and grey and a blue one.

If you want a new front bumper, I have 2. One chrome steel replacement and MeanMini's original aluminum bumper that was rechromed. I only wanted it zinc plated to match the original, but it got triple chrome plated by the look of it. Good enough for concours judging!

jonnyb
05-23-2013, 07:45 AM
Beige interior Jon?
I don't remember if there's one in the yard nearby. I know red and grey and a blue one.

If you want a new front bumper, I have 2. One chrome steel replacement and MeanMini's original aluminum bumper that was rechromed. I only wanted it zinc plated to match the original, but it got triple chrome plated by the look of it. Good enough for concours judging!

Man - I can't believe you still have that many at the yard! There's nothing that old left in the yards around here! Unfortunately, I don't think the part would survive shipping - nevermind what it might cost to ship something that big.

All set on the bumpers - mine are in decent shape and just need a good cleaning/polish and they'll be good enough. Remember - this van needs to stay my daily driver so I can't make it too nice or I won't want to drive it like all my other cars....LOL!!!

Jon

turbovanman²
05-23-2013, 02:10 PM
What is stock ride height for a van?

I measured one years ago, stock size 14" tires, from the ground to the bottom of the fender lip, 30" front, 31" rear.

I'm an auto anyway, so autox times would probably suck.

I don't think so, if I could make it out there, I would AutoX mine.

Don't make me throw a turbo on this and kick all your azzes

Bah, I'll show up with my TURBO GM Diesel Van and spank all of you, :p

jonnyb
05-23-2013, 02:44 PM
I measured one years ago, stock size 14" tires, from the ground to the bottom of the fender lip, 30" front, 31" rear.

Those are pretty much the same measurements I got when I measured my van a few days ago.

Jon

jonnyb
05-27-2013, 09:31 AM
Well I finally posted up a thread on the van in the project log section: http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?71293-90-Voyage(r)-to-SDAC! (http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?71293-90-Voyage%28r%29-to-SDAC%21)

I've hit another snag - looks the spare engine I was going to use is remanufactured (or at least rebuilt) and the rebuild was done so poorly that almost nothing on the bottom end is usable. I'll post detailed updates in the project log thread.

moparjon2007
05-27-2013, 08:11 PM
Umm, does the Wife's PT GT qualify for Top Van? It is listed on title as Sports Van... Seriously, that's what WI calls the PT, a Sports Van LOL

jonnyb
05-27-2013, 09:33 PM
Hmmm...now that's funny. CT lists my van as "Station Wagon". So maybe your PT is more of a van than my van...LOL!

wheming
05-28-2013, 12:42 AM
NC has my PT titled as sports van too.
Need to see what Mini is titled!

I checked and my NC titles call both Mini and my PT "VN" (van).
The original NY title for my PT says "4DSDN".
The CT title for MeanMini says "VAN".
But my insurance company has them both listed as bodytype "SPTVAN".

DOT classification for the PT was truck, that way Chrysler could fudge their average mileage. I remember that being a big to do when they came out.