PDA

View Full Version : key got stuck in the ignition.

francois
04-28-2013, 10:46 AM
After a long winter, I started my car for the first time.
Never had problem like that before.

I had put the key in the ignition. Click to the on position. Lights on the dash came on and then I did the movement to start the engine.
It did a click and then nothing.
Battery was full of charge and I had no indication from the last time that the car had run that it would act like that.

Anyway, here comes the funny part.

I tried to started her back and it didn`t work. Felt like there was no juice. Lights in the dash didn`t came on at that point.
I`m like, there, I have that fused llnk that died on me or what...so I tried to remove my key from the ignition.
Didn`t work.
I`m like, how come the key can`t come off. As far as I know, it`s all mechanical so I shouldn`t have any problem removing the key.
I tried a few times turning the key to start or remove and I wasn`t able to either remove or start the car.
I bang a few time on the steering wheel...guess what happen?
I was able to remove the key from the ignition and when I tried to start the car, it worked!!!

My friend looked at me clueless and I answered him back...it`s a Dodge, don`t ask!

Any idea what happened?

Not being able to have the car started is one thing but not being able to remove the key form the ignition was...weird!
There`s no button that I have to push to remove the key does it?
(Not on the GLH, right?)

135sohc
04-28-2013, 07:08 PM
If you put the key in and turn it to the 'run' position is it really loose and moves around freely ?

86Shelby
04-28-2013, 09:54 PM
Both my '86 GLHT and GLHS had a button on the steering column to allow the key to turn back so it could be removed. I don't know if the Canadian market cars were the same though.

TheCanadian007
04-28-2013, 10:12 PM
On all three of my Canadian-spec L-bodies there is a lock cylinder release button just infront of the ignition.

francois
04-29-2013, 12:04 PM
:censored:

Before I go further, I`ll have to go back in the garage to make sure that there is a release button.

So use to the H brand now that I might completely got assimiliated to that brand...

Anyhow, I`ll check the play in the ignition too.

Thanks!