PDA

View Full Version : 88 Dakota Coolant Leak

DetroitTurbo
04-16-2013, 11:25 PM
Hey guys, Just picked up an 88 dakota, 2.2 5-speed. Runs pretty good, its a fresh engine rebuild, the only problem is it has a small coolant leak on the timing belt side of the motor. After letting it warm up for about 5-10 minutes and driving it about 20 miles it only leaked a small amount of coolant onto the belts and slung it around a bit on the hood and the rack. It didnt leak while it was warming up, only while driving, and when I parked it in the driveway it had a bit of spark knock as I shut it off, so it might be running a bit hot.

Basically I'm looking for possible spots it could be leaking from. When I take off the timing cover tomorrow I'll get a better picture, but for now I'm looking for ideas.

Also any idea if the "spark knock" I'm hearing could be caused by anything else, maybe its running too rich? Timing could be off a bit?

Thanks!

TheCanadian007
04-17-2013, 11:09 AM
Coolant leaking from head gasket? Freeze plug in cylinder head?

DetroitTurbo
04-17-2013, 02:06 PM
I don't think it's the head gasket. I will be checking tonight.

DetroitTurbo
04-17-2013, 06:54 PM
So, in the light of day, it looks more like oil of some sort. It is slinging off the power steering belt. There is no oil leaking from the head, head gasket, and the timing belt is clean and dry, so its not the crank or cam seals. I'm kinda stumped. :banghead:

TheCanadian007
04-17-2013, 11:56 PM
Get some brake cleaner, clean the off all traces of oil and check your fluids. It's got to be leaking from somewhere. Power steering pump?

DetroitTurbo
04-18-2013, 12:13 AM
Most likely its the pump or one of the lines. found a receipt for a brand new rack and pinion in the FSM when I was flipping through the "steering" section, lol