PDA

View Full Version : 91 dodge shadow need info please help!!!

runslide
04-13-2013, 01:40 PM
i want to take the engine out of a dodge stratus and drop into my shadow i need to know what i will need to do to make it work im also useing the tranny from the stratus please help me i want alot of tips to make it work

cordes
04-13-2013, 06:55 PM
This is a 2.4 I take it? Is your Shadow a turbo currently, or a TBI car?

shadow88
04-13-2013, 07:58 PM
I hate to be negative, really, I do, but I think this idea fall under the category of "why bother"

Let's imagine the project is already complete and you'll have a 150 hp 2.4L or 165 hp 2.5L mitsu engine and an overdrive automatic drivetrain. In reality a poorer result than if you were to swap in a turbo 2.2/2.5L and a 5 speed if you're after increased power of fuel economy. You could argue fuel economy if you wish.

Once you factor in the time, fab work, electronic issues and cost, It's cheaper and easier to swap in a turbo 2.2/2.5 or just buy the right car to start with.

cordes
04-13-2013, 08:52 PM
I hate to be negative, really, I do, but I think this idea fall under the category of "why bother"

Let's imagine the project is already complete and you'll have a 150 hp 2.4L or 165 hp 2.5L mitsu engine and an overdrive automatic drivetrain. In reality a poorer result than if you were to swap in a turbo 2.2/2.5L and a 5 speed if you're after increased power of fuel economy. You could argue fuel economy if you wish.

Once you factor in the time, fab work, electronic issues and cost, It's cheaper and easier to swap in a turbo 2.2/2.5 or just buy the right car to start with.

Isn't that the truth. You could probably pick up a good running turbo shadow for about the same cost as the modified mounts to install the 2.4. There is no way I could do what the OP is suggesting for less than what we picked up our Daytona for. Of course if he's sitting on a super nice Shadow with really nice paint to boot that could be a different story then.

zin
04-13-2013, 11:13 PM
Some folks just like the challenge, not sure if that's the case here, but I'm like that sometimes...

IF you have both cars side by side, it might not be so bad, once you have the conversion motor mounts. I'm not sure if the are available for purchase, if not you'll need some Fab skills.

I'd swap EVERYTHING over that has to do with running the drivetrain, adapt the harness, etc. It's a fairly big job,but with enough time, energy and money, it's very doable.

I would consider what your goals are and decide if this is really what you want, personally it would be more worth the effort if you were installing a SRT drivetrain, but to each their own!

Mike