PDA

View Full Version : What years T1 engine will fit in my csx-t?

88CSX-T
04-13-2013, 12:56 PM
I'm still looking for a running T1 engine for my csx-t and wanted to know what other years of T1 engine I can drop into it without having to do major modifications to make it work? Also, will any 5 speed trans mate to a T1 engine with no problems? :bowl:

cordes
04-13-2013, 01:05 PM
88 and earlier if you don't want some water pump to pan clearance issues. I always forget which way the problem is, but it can be avoided by sticking with that. Although you could easily put in any TI or TII engine with no issues. I wouldn't limit my choices too much if I were in need of a motor. The transmissions and everything else will bolt up just the same.

4 l-bodies
04-14-2013, 12:43 PM
Early waterpump housing on common block motor (89+) needs the oil pan to be tweaked but it works fine. Takes about 2 minutes to flatten out one area. Chrysler did it in the 16V TC. However, you need to be careful mixing and matching CB and early pulleys and accessories. I would avoid doing this unless you know exactly what you are doing. 89+ used different block, timing belt, pulleys, waterpump, and waterpump rotation. If you buy common block motor (89+) get all accessories with it and use them.
88 motor is sort of a odd duck with crank timing pulley gear and pulley.
86-87 will bolt in just fine but get crank belt pulley with this motor.
Bonus points for 87-88 Turbo II. Had steel crank and bigger rods. Bigger Garrett turbo than your Mitsubishi on your CSX-T.
Avoid 85 short or longblock, as many things are changed.
Also be aware that they made 2.5 turbo motor that looks nearly identical to the 2.2 starting in 89. You would need to change out your engine controller if you went with 2.5 motor. IMO, this actually would be a nice upgrade for your car.
Any 525/520/523/568 transmission will bolt to any 2.2/2.5 block.
Todd