PDA

View Full Version : Matchbox is FINALLY consistant again!

ATaylorRacing
04-07-2013, 09:28 PM
Old Matchbox was driving me crazy (yeah, right) last year due to being inconsistent. I was already to park it, but a few days ago went through all my old log books to see what might be wrong. I did not see anything, but did see that the only races I won were the ones where I left the huge 215/70/14 M/T Street Strip III tires/rims on it instead of the tiny 20.5x7.13 Hoosier road racing tires on the same brand rims, but 13s instead. The little tires/rims are a whopping 55 lbs lighter, but at SDAC22, the race before it, and the Import Face-Off at National Trail I kept the big tires on it due to bad discs in my back and the inability to swap them out. UMMMMM...even though the car was a bit over a half second slower it was more consistent by a bit. Today I again left the big tires on it for test and tune at Indy...all 10 passes were within .055...just like it USED to be. The smaller tires had nearly identical 0-60 foot times on every pass, so it was NOT a traction issue. It was also very windy with the wind going from 0 to over 15 mph. I am thinking that the bigger tires that also slow the mph make it more consistent in the wind since less mph equates to less wind resistance.

ohiorob
04-25-2013, 06:35 AM
I see you didn't make it to the Importfaceoff in Columbus this past week end. the place was packed, they said a record # of peaple and cars. I got third place in fwd

ATaylorRacing
04-25-2013, 10:37 AM
Indy had a points race scheduled, but called it off too late to head over....otherwise, I would have been there for sure. I have no races scheduled for their second rce...be there for sure. As far as Matchbox...on the 7th the first pts race at Indy was held. Now that I figured out what the tall block bone stock wanted as far as rpm on launch and shift I went back to the tiny Hoosiers since I only had to shallow stage them to cut a good light while I had to bump in the much larger M/T Street Strips. It was a good choice since the car ran within .019 on pass to pass and I just plain got beat in the semis. A decent DRIVER would have won in it! At least I am 3rd in pts at Indy now.