PDA

View Full Version : Turbo smoke?

islandglh
04-01-2013, 07:47 PM
Hi Guys, after 8 months i have got my 86 Glht back together. Got the t1 block machined, forged pistons, t2 rods, TU 60 turbo, A555 trans, spearco intercooler kit. i have kept the log intake and such. Runs good, spools a little slower with the bigger turbo but once it spools she sure moves. I have about a 1000 miles on it now and notice that once you go for a drive and stop the car, Restart and drive, at the next stop it smokes a puff of bright blue. Only noticed this when following my son driving it. Does not do it again till the car is shut off and driven again. Today when driven it was a big plume of smoke after a 30 minute hwy run. Is this a turbo seal issue or oil in my intercooler possibly? I remember Chris saying it took a couple of tries to machine the turbo to its specs. I want to get on with other projects anc this is bugging me! Any suggestions are appreciated.

Cheers
Jon Shoring

cordes
04-01-2013, 09:08 PM
I would suspect valve seals or guides before the turbo. Generally when they fail they will let out some smoke for a bit and stop, or just let loose. I have found a tell tale sign of the oil seal in the turbine side is for it to not smoke until the exhaust gets hot enough to burn off the oil dripping into the DP.

Chris W
04-01-2013, 09:41 PM
^What he said. ;)

Generally, when the vehicle is shut off it allows oil to gather on top of the valve seals. The Oil eventually works it's way down through the worn seals and once the vehicle is started the smoke is introduced into the combustion chamber leading to instant smoke.

We provided an article in the "Knowledge Center" for additional things to look for when experincing smoke in your exhaust. Don't hesitate to contact us should you need further assistance.

Thanks!

Chris-TU