PDA

View Full Version : Underhood wiring tape ?

omniac
03-26-2013, 04:52 PM
What are you guys using to replace the black under hood tape that is on the wiring harness? The existing tape on my wiring is very mushy and falling off - so I'd like to replace it all.

It has a similar appearance to black "hockey" tape - so I was wondering if this is what you use - or just black electrical tape?

I prefer the hockey tape as it is not shiny - but uncertain as to whether or not it will hold up over time and due to the under hood temps.

Thoughts? Ideas ?

Turbo Joe
03-26-2013, 05:01 PM
thats exactly what i use over the wire loom and such, the same stuff comes in a packaged electrical type wrap, but i beleive its the same stuff, as I've had them side by side already.

trannybuster
03-26-2013, 06:06 PM
Its friction tape..can get it at Homedepot...also use cold wrap in areas it might rub and put friciton tape overtop, make sure you dont need to take it apart because you'll need to cut it apart.

wallace
03-27-2013, 08:35 AM
Its friction tape..can get it at Homedepot...also use cold wrap in areas it might rub and put friciton tape overtop, make sure you dont need to take it apart because you'll need to cut it apart.

What he said.

135sohc
03-27-2013, 12:54 PM
Hockey tape.

2.216VTurbo
03-27-2013, 01:07 PM
In my experience Hockey tape loses it's color very quickly at underhood temps. Looks great for about 2 years then becames chalky and white. RMMV...

shmedley
03-27-2013, 01:35 PM
I got mine from McMaster before it rated for higher temps then the hockey tape and is a bit thicker. I do know they sell it on Ebay also (the good stuff not hockey tape)

Reaper1
03-27-2013, 01:59 PM
Even the stuff I got from Eastwood lost its color on a harness I redid, and that never even saw underhood temps! :confused:

QwikEVO
03-27-2013, 02:11 PM
I just use electrical tape.

Reaper1
03-27-2013, 04:08 PM
I just use electrical tape.

The issue I've had with that is that even the good 3M stuff's adhesive breaks down over time in that environment. It never stays. You could opt for the older 70's plastic/vinyl wrap tape, though.

135sohc
03-27-2013, 06:40 PM
The dry vinyl is appropriate for these cars as well. It was used inside the plastic loom and hockey tape (also gaffers tape) used at breakout/splice points

cordes
03-27-2013, 07:36 PM
There is an Audi tape that Jon Trotter turned me on to. It's pretty awesome and seems to hold up well from what I've seen thus far.

going4speed
03-27-2013, 08:28 PM
do you get this from the dealer? the audi tape that is.

Reaper1
03-27-2013, 08:34 PM
There is an Audi tape that Jon Trotter turned me on to. It's pretty awesome and seems to hold up well from what I've seen thus far.

I remember that. My friend, Sean (Captain Chaos) who works at an Audi dealership was getting it for guys on here. I don't know if he can still do that or not, however.

cordes
03-27-2013, 10:21 PM
do you get this from the dealer? the audi tape that is.

I believe so. It says Audi right on the box. I'll try to find some of it around and post a PN if I can find it.

omniac
03-28-2013, 07:41 AM
Lots of great replies so far - thanks for the info. I picked up 2 rolls of Friction Tape @ Home Depot yesterday. I haven't had time to do anything with it but did unwind a small amount to see how it adheres to a small section of wiring. The small amount I used sure wasn't sticky like hockey tape - I wonder how it adheres over time?

wallace
03-28-2013, 08:15 AM
Lots of great replies so far - thanks for the info. I picked up 2 rolls of Friction Tape @ Home Depot yesterday. I haven't had time to do anything with it but did unwind a small amount to see how it adheres to a small section of wiring. The small amount I used sure wasn't sticky like hockey tape - I wonder how it adheres over time?
Once it cures from a few heat cycles you will have to cut it open with a razor knife to get it off.

turbo84voyager
03-28-2013, 09:03 AM
I must have done a half a dozen engine harnesses with friction tape from Home Depot and every one is holding up very well.

supercrackerbox
03-28-2013, 12:54 PM
Regular electrical tape has no place under the hood.

fishcleaner
03-28-2013, 01:22 PM
Use harness tape (no glue) and it is higher temp and some flame resistance, you can use the friction tape to tie it off with but the first time you have to open the harness you will regret using anything with glue.

Lee'sdaytona
04-20-2013, 03:20 PM
Use harness tape (no glue) and it is higher temp and some flame resistance, you can use the friction tape to tie it off with but the first time you have to open the harness you will regret using anything with glue.

Is this the stuff used to wrap the interior wire harness? I had to remove some under the dash to repair a cut wire. No sticky stuff at all and no residue left behind on the wiring. Where can I get this stuff?
thanks,
Lee

---------- Post added at 03:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:20 PM ----------

Is this the stuff used to wrap the interior wire harness? I had to remove some under the dash to repair a cut wire. No sticky stuff at all and no residue left behind on the wiring. Where can I get this stuff?
thanks,
Lee

shmedley
04-20-2013, 04:14 PM
thanks,
Lee

---------- Post added at 03:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:20 PM ----------

thanks,
Lee

I bought some from Ebay in the past

fishcleaner
04-20-2013, 09:46 PM
this is the stuff I use, it's becoming more common, I've seen it at swap meets now
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-ROLLS-BLACK-NON-ADHESIVE-VINYL-WIRING-HARNESS-TAPE-/170795039364

supercrackerbox
04-21-2013, 01:48 AM
this is the stuff I use, it's becoming more common, I've seen it at swap meets now
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-ROLLS-BLACK-NON-ADHESIVE-VINYL-WIRING-HARNESS-TAPE-/170795039364

That's the stuff I've got, although I bought it on Amazon. Ebay appears to have a better price.