PDA

View Full Version : runs for 20 seconds then idles like crap and dies

j4278h
03-22-2013, 02:31 PM
The car is an 87 daytona shelby z. Car sat fine outside for 8 months and fired up soon as i tossed a battery in. Moved it into the garage for a week to get computer/injectors changed back to stock. Now the stupid car will run for 20 seconds then idle drops to almost zero and pops and sputters until it finally dies. If I keep my foot on the gas it will stay running but get the check engine light to flash and idle has a mind of its own. When it starts to act funny the asd relay in the power module clicks like crazy.

Running good had +40 injectors/ fwd ecu/ 3 bar
Poor running and dies stock injectors/ stock map/ and stock ecu.

Changed out hep, pm, lm, coil, map from a good running car 10 feet away and still get the same issue.

No codes

UPDATE,

car now runs at 2200-2500 rpm constantly, as soon as it gets warm to drop idle the car cuts out and dies. All power drops out, the dome light even goes out when the car dies. Unplugged ais no change, unplugged map sensor no change.

trannybuster
03-22-2013, 03:57 PM
Triple check those lm plugs..?..sure thats a good lm (or chip change?). Try putting in a different chip/cal? Get car running and move around wires...

j4278h
03-22-2013, 05:04 PM
with one computer it ran for 2 minutes at 1100 idle. then it started the stupid high idle and now won't even start.

trannybuster
03-22-2013, 06:08 PM
Did the ground wire rot off...?...sounds like the ground is touching, just barely...?...would that make it click and freak out?

zin
03-22-2013, 07:41 PM
Sounds like a good job for a scan tool, if the ground and wire wiggling don't turn up something... No codes? Even when it flashes/flashed?

Just for giggles, check the cam timing, and fuel pressure it may not be electrical... could have the timing way off and this is just how the computer is trying to deal with it...

Good luck!

Mike

speedfreek500
03-23-2013, 01:28 AM
Ground fault forsure. Check battery ground to body.

ajakeski
03-23-2013, 08:09 AM
Check the ground from the fuel rail to the firewall too.