PDA

View Full Version : runs good after start then dies out

Fox
03-22-2013, 12:08 PM
1989 csx -vnt

i was getting code 14 and wasn't running right so i replaced the MAP with a used one witch seemed to work untill now, the car runs fine for 1-2 minutes then Check engine Light comes on and runs rough and wont rev past 2k sometimes dies and cranks but wont restart

codes
12 -Battery or computer recently disconnected
14 -MAP sensor voltage below .16V or over 4.96V
11 -No ignition reference signal detected during cranking
55 (end)

codes where cleared after map change and i'm still getting the code 14, and is there anyway to check the HEP before i buy one ? ive had it parked inside all winter and it just seems like every time i go start it up theres another problem

zin
03-22-2013, 08:35 PM
I'd check the MAP voltage to see what it really is. In my experience, MAP codes are hard to set, unless it's way off, which can happen when a MAP goes bad from something like moisture inside it.

Since you had fixed it with a different MAP, and it is now doing pretty much the same thing, I'd look at it and its wiring/connectors real close.

The No ignition ref sig is probably HEP related, either wires/connectors (check the connectors at the ECU for dirt/corrosion) or the unit itself... No easy way to test the HEP as far as I know.

These could both be related to poor contacts at the sensors/ECU. If all else fails, try cleaning the pins/connectors at the sensors/ECU, heck, even just unplugging and reconnecting them can temporarily "fix" the issue by scraping away some of the gunk interfering with the signal.

Mike

trannybuster
03-22-2013, 08:45 PM
^^Like he said, and IF you can get it to run, wiggle the wires while its running, not to technical but hey sometimes it works.

Fox
03-23-2013, 01:01 PM
i'll try wiggling and checking connections today, how do you check the map voltage without a scanner tool?

Fox
03-23-2013, 03:15 PM
thanks, that fixed it, it was a bad connection going into the computer i didn't even think to check there