PDA

View Full Version : Flashable LM or Super LM?

ShelGame
03-18-2013, 10:05 AM
So, I've been looking over a flashable LM that was sent to me, trying to figure out how to make it easier to reproduce (it's basically a hand-made deal, lots of wires going from A to B, traces cut, etc.).

It might be possible to make a more simple flashable LM, but I had another idea - a complete daughter board to replace the 6803 with a 6811 and a flash memory chip. This would replace the analog-to-digital converter, the memory chip, the timer chip, and the processor on the LM board with sockets, and a module would be inserted into it's place. Should be reversible, I think.

I need to finish making a schematic of the existing T2 LM logic circuits to even see how feasible this is, but I think it would solve a lot of the headache issues I have with the LM. Namely, that NONE of the code is quite the same as the SMEC.

So, the options would be:

1) Flash module - this would replace the memory chip, and possibly require some reworking of the LM board (cut traces, added wires).

2) Super LM daughter baord - this would replace the logic circuit chips on the LM with sockets, and give the LM a processor upgrade to a 6811 (same processor as the SMEC/SBEC) allowing it to use some of the SMEC code and add some functionality.

I have no idea at this point what either would cost, but figure the flash module might be a hair more than the SMEC/SBEC, and I guess that the Super-LM Board would be twice that. So, maybe $50 and $100.

chilort
03-19-2013, 04:33 PM
I like the idea of a Super. But I don't know how many would sell. I have to get my car back on the road and messing with the 4-play before I do anything else.

I'd be doing it more for the processor upgrade and newer code.

zin
03-19-2013, 05:59 PM

These are my thoughts as well... If the processor would be upgraded, any reason to not make it better/faster than what comes stock in a SMEC/SBEC? I've seen where processors can be very little more money for what appears to be a much "better" unit.

Mike

Aries_Turbo
03-19-2013, 06:10 PM
super please. :)

ive toyed around with swapping to the SMEC for my reliant for a while given the features in the T-SMEC code over the T-LM and I have a mint SMEC caravan harness (cake swap in a K-Car... 2 pins moved for the windshield wiper motor) but this would make it easier.

Brian

ShelGame
03-19-2013, 06:38 PM
I was just looking at the different components and trying to figure out how things would match up. I think this actually could work very well. It would bootstrap the same way the SBEC's do (using the Rx pin). But, that should be no problem.

I would use a 68HC11E0. This has 512 bytes of RAM (double the SMEC and matching the SBEC and SBECII), and no internal EEPROM. The internal EEPROM is only used for stuff like the anti-theft system and mileage storage. I assume those wouldn't be necessary in an LM. And, not having the on-board EEPROM makes mapping in the 32k memory that much easier. In fact, it might be possible to map in a 64k memory chip. This would allow for much bigger binaries (IE more code) and possibly switchable cals. not sure if that would be necessary since it will also be flashable, but it's possible.

The module would be ~2x4" and would require socketing basically the whole bottom portion of the LM board. Or, at least removing the stock chips. The processor, memory and A2D converter would need to be socketed since those chips have the pins the module would need. The 74HC373 and 74HC00 would just need to be removed.

Does anyone know what the small 8-pin chip is near the middle of the board? Is this a watchdog chip of some kind?

---------- Post added at 06:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:34 PM ----------

I like the idea of a Super. But I don't know how many would sell. I have to get my car back on the road and messing with the 4-play before I do anything else.

I don't know how many would sell either. I think I might go ahead and do 10, and see if I can sell those, then decide to make more or not.

I don't think the hardware is going to be tough to develop at all. But, the new source code might take some time. So, I would need at least 1 person willing to help develop the special hybrid source code the SuperLM would need; since I don't have an LM car at my disposal.

Tbird232ci
03-19-2013, 06:43 PM
I would love the super LM, especially if it would allow the T-SMEC functions on a LM. I've been reading and contemplating the SMEC conversion because of how much better some of the Turbonator functions work on the SMEC than the LM, such as the staging limiter and the anti lag.

If the super LM happens, the only SMEC advantage really becomes how much cleaner the harness and single module is.

OmniLuvr
03-19-2013, 09:04 PM
i think "switchable" AND flashable would be SUPER awesome on the super. i love your 4 play because just a simple turn of a knob and you have a new tune, i just hate pulling the chip to burn more cals on it if there is a cal i dont like.

thanks so much for your hard work and new ideas trying to pioneer things to keep our hobby/cars moving forward and not staying stagnent...

csxtra
03-19-2013, 09:38 PM
I'd definitely run the Super LM if you decide to make them...having the extra room for more code features would be great!

Like Bucar I have been toying with the idea of running a SMEC for the extra features, but didn't want to rewire and start over, so this would be awesome.

Would the Super LM possibly allow for any more Analog inputs than the standard LM?

ShelGame
03-19-2013, 10:01 PM
I'd definitely run the Super LM if you decide to make them...having the extra room for more code features would be great!

Like Bucar I have been toying with the idea of running a SMEC for the extra features, but didn't want to rewire and start over, so this would be awesome.

Would the Super LM possibly allow for any more Analog inputs than the standard LM?

None of the 68HC11 processor has more analog channels than the 8 currently on the LM. And, there's no unused ports on the 6811 to be able to simply add another external A2D chip. I would then also have to add another port expander. It just gets too complicated, I think.

I thought about it some more tonight, and I think the SMEC software can actually largely carry over. It might even be possible to wire in the 6811 so that the switch ports, analog channels, coil drivers, etc. look the same.

Force Fed Mopar
03-19-2013, 10:09 PM
What would the faster processor actually do? What can the SMEC do now that the LM can't? Mileage and driveability seem to be largely the same between the two. SBEC might have slightly better mileage and driveability with the sequential injection.

ShelGame
03-19-2013, 11:07 PM
What would the faster processor actually do? What can the SMEC do now that the LM can't? Mileage and driveability seem to be largely the same between the two. SBEC might have slightly better mileage and driveability with the sequential injection.

It's actually not any 'faster' in terms of clock speed or anything like that. But, the 6811 has several arithmetic instructions that aren't in the 6803. A divide instruction primariliy. So, it's the simplified calculations in the 6811 that make it faster. There are some bit-test type of instructions that are also much simpler in the 6811. So, the code is faster to execute, and takes up less memory.

But, really it's more than that. The LM has only 192 bytes of RAM. The SMEC has 256, and the SBEC and later 512 (or more in some of the later SBECII's). It's hard to add the extra features (like spark cut and anti-lag) with the limmited RAM available. And, with the 6803 being short of instructions, the code can't be the same between the 2.

Mostly, it's just something I thought would be cool, and not too tough to do.

wowzer
03-19-2013, 11:41 PM
put me down for 1 of the 10!!

black86glhs
03-20-2013, 03:57 AM
Will the super LM have its own cape???!!!

ShelGame
03-20-2013, 07:26 AM
Will the super LM have its own cape???!!!

LOL, I thought about painting them all red, just for effect...

Force Fed Mopar
03-20-2013, 09:23 AM
So currently, the LM does not have the staging limiter, nitrous/alcohol trigger etc available? If you install the duaghterboard, will you still be able to make it flashable?

ShelGame
03-20-2013, 09:40 AM
So currently, the LM does not have the staging limiter, nitrous/alcohol trigger etc available? If you install the duaghterboard, will you still be able to make it flashable?

It has a staging limiter, but it's not a spark-cut. I'm trying to add it to the current T-LM code. But, I think I'm going to have to take away some RAM storage from current values to do it. I need at least 3 bytes of RAM, and basically everything is being used.

I think Alky Inj is still in there, that may get axed to allow the spark-cut to work.

The daughterboard for sure would be flashable. It would basically work like a '89 SMEC with double the RAM; and flash the same way the '91 SBEC's do using the USB-SCI cable that I make with the bootstrap wire and MP Tune.

roachjuice
03-20-2013, 09:47 AM
i dont know if its been asked before but would it be easy/cheap to make a spark cut staging limiter seperatly from the lm?

ShelGame
03-20-2013, 10:15 AM
i dont know if its been asked before but would it be easy/cheap to make a spark cut staging limiter seperatly from the lm?

Not sure how you mean?

wowzer
03-20-2013, 10:53 AM
with the extra ram in that chip it would be interesting to see if there would be a way to do real time table updating similar to the ostrich. perhaps a routine or 2 to copy a table into ram and temporarily use that instead of the "real" one for testing/tweaking.

zin
03-20-2013, 11:07 AM
Built -in tuning "on the fly"?.. that would sell me on the supper!

Mike

Tbird232ci
03-20-2013, 12:33 PM
Not sure how you mean?

I think he means building a stand alone staging limiter, or making a daughter board for the staging limiter.

I'm watching this closely, it may or may not be a game changer for me.

roachjuice
03-20-2013, 12:50 PM
I think he means building a stand alone staging limiter, or making a daughter board for the staging limiter.

I'm watching this closely, it may or may not be a game changer for me.

Exactly what I mean. A separate box or something with adjustable spark cut staging limiter. And adjustable I mean right on the box or whatever. No computer programming. Dunno if that's possible or not.

ShelGame
03-20-2013, 01:12 PM
Exactly what I mean. A separate box or something with adjustable spark cut staging limiter. And adjustable I mean right on the box or whatever. No computer programming. Dunno if that's possible or not.

Sure, it's possible. But, that's not a direction I would go in...

85boostbox
03-20-2013, 08:48 PM
Subscribed

intercooled
03-20-2013, 08:54 PM
I love the super idea and would love one

Force Fed Mopar
03-20-2013, 09:46 PM
It has a staging limiter, but it's not a spark-cut. I'm trying to add it to the current T-LM code. But, I think I'm going to have to take away some RAM storage from current values to do it. I need at least 3 bytes of RAM, and basically everything is being used.

I think Alky Inj is still in there, that may get axed to allow the spark-cut to work.

The daughterboard for sure would be flashable. It would basically work like a '89 SMEC with double the RAM; and flash the same way the '91 SBEC's do using the USB-SCI cable that I make with the bootstrap wire and MP Tune.

In that case, I'd go with the Super LM.

Would this also be possible with the '84-86 LM's? Might make tuning them way easier too.

ShelGame
03-21-2013, 07:27 AM
In that case, I'd go with the Super LM.

Would this also be possible with the '84-86 LM's? Might make tuning them way easier too.

It would work with the '86-87 for sure. Maybe the '85's. I haven't seen one up close to know for sure. The big difference between the '87 and the '86 is the replacement of the 2nd EPROM with a timer chip. But, My board would ignore that position on the original board completely. I think I can do it by only picking up the processor pins, and the A2D converter pins. Those positions and pinouts didn't change from 86-87. So, for sure this would work for the GLHS and all other 'T2' LM's and '87 T1 LM's. Others may need some other components added to run the 4-wire AIS.

The issue I'm looking at right now is the decoding for the port expander. I was hoping to use the existing port expander, but it has 2 chips used to interface it to the 6803. I just have to map those out and make sure it will still work with the new processor.

ajakeski
03-21-2013, 07:35 AM
Sounds great. I'm in for a super or two, maybe three...

Tbird232ci
03-23-2013, 02:57 PM
The 86 LM's would indeed need some other components to run the 4-wire. I remember hoping I had one of the few oddball LM's that came in the log cars that had 4-wire AIS capabilities. Once I got my 87 LM's, and compared them, the difference was pretty obvious. Made me sad.

Would you need a 86 LM to mess around with for this? I may have a spare.

ShelGame
03-23-2013, 04:39 PM
The 86 LM's would indeed need some other components to run the 4-wire. I remember hoping I had one of the few oddball LM's that came in the log cars that had 4-wire AIS capabilities. Once I got my 87 LM's, and compared them, the difference was pretty obvious. Made me sad.

Would you need a 86 LM to mess around with for this? I may have a spare.

I think I have 2. And, I have a bunch of the transistors used for the AIS drive. So, I should be able to 'update' those.

Just as a progress report - I'm down to figuring out how they did the watchdog timer on the LM's. Since the 6811 has an internal watchdog, I need to disable the external one used on the LM. Just need to finish mapping it out and I can start to layout the board, I think.

chilort
03-23-2013, 07:53 PM
I don't know how many would sell either. I think I might go ahead and do 10, and see if I can sell those, then decide to make more or not.

I don't think the hardware is going to be tough to develop at all. But, the new source code might take some time. So, I would need at least 1 person willing to help develop the special hybrid source code the SuperLM would need; since I don't have an LM car at my disposal.

Rob Mercer has my car now. If he'd be willing to play along and you wanted to work with Rob then let me know. The last part I'm waiting on is a custom ground F4 cam from Cindy. If I can get my cam then .....

Force Fed Mopar
03-23-2013, 09:45 PM
It would work with the '86-87 for sure. Maybe the '85's. I haven't seen one up close to know for sure.

That LM you socketed for me was marked '85 Omni Turbo on the back...

iangoround
03-24-2013, 12:24 AM
I'd take one. I love new toys.

ShelGame
03-24-2013, 09:19 AM
That LM you socketed for me was marked '85 Omni Turbo on the back...

I think it was just the cover, though. Or was that actually an '85 LM?

boost geek
03-24-2013, 09:41 PM
BAKES .anysuggestions for me?

Force Fed Mopar
03-25-2013, 01:32 AM
I think it was just the cover, though. Or was that actually an '85 LM?

Not sure. It came with the '87 Omni I bought (and am now selling lol).

85boostbox
03-25-2013, 11:45 AM
You have a PM Rob :thumbup:

ShelGame
03-25-2013, 04:23 PM
It looks like there's not an easy way to disable the hardware watchdog on the LM. So, I think the SuperLM will just have 2 watchdogs - the LM hardware watchdog, and the 6811's internal COP watchdog timer. That shouldn't be a problem (though, pretty redundant). I just need to add a small bit of code to the SuperLM assembly source (aka, T/SMEC) to set the watchdog output bit every loop.

wowzer
03-25-2013, 10:53 PM
does the hardware watchdog allow you to set how long it waits between checks, i.e. a timer divisor of some sort?

ShelGame
03-26-2013, 07:14 AM
does the hardware watchdog allow you to set how long it waits between checks, i.e. a timer divisor of some sort?

No. But, my assumption is the timeout is long enough that it won't be a problem. In the LM code, the WD is reset every 11msec loop. We have the same 11msec loop in the SMEC code, so I don't think there will be an issue.

Interestingly enough, I think the 11msec for the main loop time may in fact come from the WD timeout. In the 6811, one of the WD timer options is 10.98msec. In the SMEC code, it's set to 6x that value or 65.5msec.

ShelGame
03-28-2013, 02:22 PM
There might be a roadblock to using this board with an '85 LM. The SDS input goes to the port expander chip on the '85 and straight to the processor on the '87. I don't yet know about the '86 LM's. The problem there is, the SDS needs to go the processor to be timed correctly. I'm not sure how they did it in '85, but it must have been much less precise than later years.

Force Fed Mopar
03-28-2013, 09:19 PM
Well, the '85 has the same pin-out a an '86, right? If so, can always just switch to an '86 LM in an '85.

ShelGame
03-28-2013, 09:46 PM
Well, the '85 has the same pin-out a an '86, right? If so, can always just switch to an '86 LM in an '85.

Actually, it may not be a problem. On the '87 LM, 14-Blue is open, and that's the pin connected to the SDS on the on '85 (and I assume '86?). On the '86, 9-Red is open; which is the SDS on the '87. So, I think they just switched inputs. I'm going to check and see if 14-Blue goes to the same pin on the port expander as it does on the '85. If it does, it might simply be a matter of having to move a pin on the '85 LM connector (from 14-B to 9-R) so that the SDS input goes to the right place for the SuperLM board.

BTW, I'm mostly finished with the circuit diagram in Eagle (PCB editor software). Now, I hit another snag laying out the board. The 'free' version of Eagle only allows a PCB 3.2x4". The LM is 5" wide. So, I can't make a board big enough to pickup all the pins I need. I'll have to break down and buy a license.

ShelGame
03-28-2013, 11:15 PM
When it comes time, I think I'll be able to power up the LM on my bench and reflash it. But, testing it in a car is a different story. I don't have an LM car. And, with basically unique code, there will need to be some testing for sure. It's way too tough to debug code over the internet.

Is there anyone following in the Ann Arbor area (or at least SE Michigan) that has an '87 LM powered car that would be willing to let me spend some time with your car testing the SuperLM?

ShelGame
04-01-2013, 09:33 PM
SDS is no issue. The 86 and 87 each have the same inputs possible for the SDS. So, I think this will also work with an '85-86 LM; assuming it has the parts added to the board to run the 4-wire AIS; and it has the SDS wire moved to Red-9 from Blue-14.

This also means that the 'spare' input could be used for switching cals or something else (digital input only, sorry can't use it for an analog channel). Is the switchable cal thing really all that interesting with a flashable LM?

Force Fed Mopar
04-01-2013, 10:12 PM
Well it might nice to switch from a low boost to a high boost cal on the fly without having to have the laptop with you. Or switch from gas to E85.

ShelGame
04-01-2013, 10:28 PM
Well it might nice to switch from a low boost to a high boost cal on the fly without having to have the laptop with you. Or switch from gas to E85.

Boost switch would be easy; complete cal switch (like E85/gas) is trickier, but still possible. Basically, the LM has an extra digital input, we can do whatever we want with it in software...

wowzer
04-01-2013, 11:36 PM
i'ld be all for a cal switch - flipping from a regular gas to e85 race cal would be great.

85boostbox
04-02-2013, 10:34 AM
+1 on this. I plan on running e85 on my setup and 2 different boost settings due to my high compression. Would be nice to go from a 93 low boost setting to a e85 high boost setting.

BTW do you still want my 85 LM for reference. If so I need your address to ship.

Paul

ShelGame
04-02-2013, 11:35 AM
+1 on this. I plan on running e85 on my setup and 2 different boost settings due to my high compression. Would be nice to go from a 93 low boost setting to a e85 high boost setting.

BTW do you still want my 85 LM for reference. If so I need your address to ship.

Paul

I have quite a collection of LM's. I went thru them all last night. I don't think there will be a hardware issue to using this on any turbo LM from '85 to '87 as long as it has the hardware (transistors/diodes) to run the 4-wire AIS. Not sure what's different on the LM between a 3/4-wire O2 and a 1-wire O2. That could be an issue for the SuperLM Software as I only plan to support the T2 style setups (4-wire AIS, 4-wire O2, etc.). So, if you want to run the Super LM on a log T1, it won't really be supported.

85boostbox
04-02-2013, 02:08 PM
No my car is going t2 status.

ShelGame
04-16-2013, 09:19 AM
Just a little update - I'm still working on the SuperLM board. The circuit design is basically done. I copied T/SMECv19 and have started re-coding it to be used in the SuperLM Board. I want to go thru the code completely before I lay out the board just in case there is an issue with I/O that forces a change to the IO mapping. As soon as I get the IO re-mapped in the code, I'll lay out the board and get a couple made for testing. I hope I can have them at SDAC this year - for showing off and testing...

Khajjathefang
04-16-2013, 09:48 AM
So this is basically all the advantages of an ostrich setup with a massive brain upgrade? Will it be able to flash on the go? Def interested! Subscribed.

ShelGame
04-16-2013, 10:44 AM
So this is basically all the advantages of an ostrich setup with a massive brain upgrade? Will it be able to flash on the go? Def interested! Subscribed.

It's just a brain upgrade. It won't flash on-the-fly like an Ostrich.

But, it will be able to be reflashed in-car like my Modified SMEC and SBEC. So, no more chip swapping. And, you get a more robust instruction set, more RAM, better capabilities, etc. Everything we can do with a SMEC, can then be done with the LM.

Khajjathefang
04-16-2013, 10:57 AM
So pull over, shut down, flash adjustments, start and go? Still pretty damn sweet. The computer end on the cable is USB? No external power source needed?

ShelGame
04-16-2013, 11:18 AM
So pull over, shut down, flash adjustments, start and go? Still pretty damn sweet. The computer end on the cable is USB? No external power source needed?

Right, it will use the same USB-SCI cable that the SBEC Uses, and the same flash procedure as the SBEC. I have to multiplex the Boot signal onto the Rx line just like on the SBEC because there's no unused pins on the LM to map the boot signal onto easily.

Flashing will take probably about 10 seconds. But, yes; you will have to turn the car off to flash a new cal.

I haven't decided for sure if or how I can do it, but it may be possible to have a switchable cal built in also.

ShelGame
04-16-2013, 05:51 PM
So, the IO swapping is a bit more complicated than I thought it would be; but in the end I think the SuperLM code will be simpler than the SMEC. The SMEC IO chips are kind of funky to interface to. I'm keeping the LM IO chip intact to make things as easy as possible.

johnl
04-16-2013, 07:28 PM
I'll buy two or three, let me know when you are ready.

Aries_Turbo
04-19-2013, 08:24 PM
yeah ill be buying 1 for my reliant. :)

Unacceptable
04-19-2013, 09:27 PM
Rather than plopping down the cash for a license for Eagle, perhaps you might try KiCad. Changing PCB CAD software is never terribly fun, but once you have the hang of one (Eagle in this case), moving to another isn't impossible. It'll get you around the size limitation, as well as the "non commercial use" clause in Eagle.
Have you considered just building a complete new mainboard for the logic module? Then it'd just be a case of desoldering the old connectors from any year/model of logic module, and putting them onto this new one.

ShelGame
04-19-2013, 10:58 PM
Rather than plopping down the cash for a license for Eagle, perhaps you might try KiCad. Changing PCB CAD software is never terribly fun, but once you have the hang of one (Eagle in this case), moving to another isn't impossible. It'll get you around the size limitation, as well as the "non commercial use" clause in Eagle.
Have you considered just building a complete new mainboard for the logic module? Then it'd just be a case of desoldering the old connectors from any year/model of logic module, and putting them onto this new one.

I have considered it, actually. But, then I'd have to completely reverse engineer the LM itself, just to know how the various circuits work. I really wasn't interested in doing that much. I think this is a good compromise.

I'll look into KiCAD...

ShelGame
04-20-2013, 06:03 PM
Eh, I decided to just bite the bullet and a get a license of Eagle...

Unacceptable
04-20-2013, 07:06 PM
Seriously? Unless you claimed Hobbyist, it's $600 if you give up the autorouter. $600!?!?! That's a lot of extra money that's got to be rolled into each future board to make up for the loss. Eh, to each their own.

ShelGame
04-20-2013, 07:16 PM
Seriously? Unless you claimed Hobbyist...

I might've ;) I think I can legitimately do that. My 'business' isn't big enough to be classified as anything other than a hobby business anyway. I've been using the free version of Eagle for years.

Khajjathefang
04-29-2013, 10:51 AM
Updates?

ShelGame
04-29-2013, 11:36 AM
Updates?

I finally got my license code last week while I was out of town. Haven't had time to layout the board yet.

I was working on the code a little bit and I still need to finish that conversion up.

I also want to see if I can use my SMECStim to run the LM on the bench to try and get some testing done before I try it in a car.

On the other hand, this is my busiest time of the year for doing custom computers and cals, so I have to put the customer orders first. I still would like to bring a prototype to SDAC-23 to show off and maybe test, but it's looking less likely that I'll be able to make that goal.

johnl
04-29-2013, 05:22 PM
Cool, I can wait.

Khajjathefang
04-29-2013, 05:42 PM
Ditto.

wowzer
04-29-2013, 11:33 PM
double dog ditto

Aries_Turbo
04-30-2013, 10:05 PM
i pulled the engine out of my k car for some upgrades and stuff. should be back on the road in a little bit. that means i can do some testing and stuff if this becomes available.

brian

ShelGame
05-13-2013, 08:31 PM
1st attempt. I think I need to add some noise isolation on the 6811 and flash chips, though...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24238014/SuperLM_rev1.jpg

Aries_Turbo
05-16-2013, 04:38 PM
ooooh!!! im working on my k car lately so hopefully i cant try this out sometime this summer.

Brian

ShelGame
05-16-2013, 04:55 PM
ooooh!!! im working on my k car lately so hopefully i cant try this out sometime this summer.

Brian

The code changes are tough. There's some IO in the SMEC code that I don't know what it is. So, I think I need to break out my bare SMEC board and my ohm meter and see where these mystery IO go to...

Khajjathefang
05-17-2013, 11:06 AM
Sexy!

thedon809
05-17-2013, 03:42 PM
I was going to swap my omni over to smec but I like this idea much better.

MoparStephen
05-29-2013, 08:32 PM
Awesome! I would be able to test one of these in my 87 Shelby Z.

Unacceptable
05-30-2013, 08:27 PM
I sure hope you manage to pull this off. This would be a huge benefit to these old cars. How long till you can spin a board and start testing?

ShelGame
05-31-2013, 10:50 AM
I sure hope you manage to pull this off. This would be a huge benefit to these old cars. How long till you can spin a board and start testing?

First, I need to build code to run on it based on my IO mapping. I don't want to build boards, then find out I have to re-map the IO for some reason. Basically, I'm converting SMEC code over to run on this, and there's some 'mystery' IO in the SMEC code and I need to figure out whether it's needed for the SuperLM application or not.

Just now, I'm looking at the SBEC code. It might be a better starting source than the SMEC code, from an IO modification standpoint...

Unacceptable
06-01-2013, 12:56 AM
Will the sequential fueling of the SBEC code present any problems? I assumed that's why you were using SMEC code rather than SBEC.

ShelGame
06-01-2013, 09:04 AM
No, it won't run the sequential fuelling. The PM only has 2 injector drivers. I was thinking more of using the SBEC code due to the simpler IO, but I looked again, and even that isn't really helpful.

wowzer
07-01-2013, 10:05 AM
hey rob - any update on this?

ShelGame
07-01-2013, 01:20 PM
No, still need to work out the I/O before I commit a board to prototype. I want to make sure the code is compatible with the I/O I laid out on the board. I'd hate to build boards and then have to change it due to some code reason.

EDIT:

I spent my spare time the past week and weekend converting my car to SBEC. I should be able to run both the SBEC and SBECII in it.

The reason that's important is this: I'm thinking that after I get the SuperLM running, I want to make 3D code for all of the 6811 ECU's (SuperLM, SMEC, SBEC) based on the '92 SBECII code. There will obviously have to be some differences for each, but the majority of the code can be the same. With that, I'd like to make a single set of templates to use for each ECU type.

The first step in all that needs to be getting the launch control working on the SBEC and SBECII cals. I'll work on the SuperLM code simultaneously in between. I'm actually looking at it right now...

wowzer
07-01-2013, 01:51 PM
a single code base (at least for the main ram locations) would be great. especially for the mpscan (and mpscandroid) stuff. having "locked in" ram locations would allow gauges to be added by type, i.e. speedo, tach, boost gauge, etc that would have virtually all the settings done. all users would have to do is tweak them for colors, etc. good luck!!!

ShelGame
07-01-2013, 02:13 PM
a single code base (at least for the main ram locations) would be great. especially for the mpscan (and mpscandroid) stuff. having "locked in" ram locations would allow gauges to be added by type, i.e. speedo, tach, boost gauge, etc that would have virtually all the settings done. all users would have to do is tweak them for colors, etc. good luck!!!

Also, with a small modification to my SMEC Flash module, they could all be tuneable on-the-fly. Using a (nearly) single codebase would make that easier to manage, too.

zin
07-01-2013, 07:55 PM
I really like where this is going!:thumb:

Mike

ShelGame
07-09-2013, 10:19 AM
Hrmm... The IO on the SMEC is a PITA. Converting it to be used with the LM's IO chip is getting to be really difficult. I wonder if I can just use the SMEC's IO chips on the SuperLM board instead...

wowzer
08-15-2013, 08:23 PM
rob - any update on this? i pulled the engine out of the SC last weekend and want to put a smec harness back in but will leave it if you think the superLM is going to happen in the next several months.

ShelGame
08-15-2013, 09:16 PM
Not looking likely. I haven't really had any time for R&D all summer. I'll probably be able to really get back to it this fall. But, at this point, it's probably next spring before it will be ready.

moparmorrell
11-05-2013, 03:38 PM
wow this is just cool! I hope you can get it all working. which I'm sure you can but it sounds like you need that all so valuable TIME. glad I found this, I was going to convert my 85 glh-turbo with a turbo van harness, and still gonna collect parts to do so but will definitely go this route for my t2 conversion if I don't get all the parts collected before your done with this, which I'm sure you'll finish first. so put me down for one.

ShelGame
11-05-2013, 03:56 PM
Yeah, it's on the back burner right now, but it's still on. The board is pretty much done, still just need more time to sort out the software for it...

moparmorrell
11-07-2013, 04:22 AM
Thank you for taking the time to help make things easier for a small community of people with a limited aftermarket supply. Wish I had the smarts to make something cool and useful for these cars. Well looking forward to the finished product and again, thank you

jckrieger
09-24-2014, 09:38 PM
+1 for the development of the Super LM. People at car events flip when I tell them my GLHS runs the stock ECU with custom code. Everyone else in the world has some hacked together wiring with some sort of piggy-back!

ShelGame
09-26-2014, 10:44 AM
+1 for the development of the Super LM. People at car events flip when I tell them my GLHS runs the stock ECU with custom code. Everyone else in the world has some hacked together wiring with some sort of piggy-back!

It's still on my agenda. Just need more time for the software development...

wowzer
09-26-2014, 03:41 PM
+1MM!! sure be alot sweeter than having to switch my SC over to a smec harness as i'm currently planning. luckily i'm so slow at getting things done you will have SuperLM ver 2.0 out.

Aries_Turbo
09-27-2014, 08:36 AM
i want superLM and a tunable 604 controller. :)

so what regular home/work duties can i take over from afar so you have time to work on this ;)

Brian

ShelGame
09-27-2014, 09:27 AM
i want superLM and a tunable 604 controller. :)

so what regular home/work duties can i take over from afar so you have time to work on this ;)

Brian
Wanna write some code? The IO from the SMEC needs to be remapped to the SuperLM board.

On the other hand. Maybe its easier to redesign the SuperLM board to use the same IO chips as the SMEC with the same IO mapping. I'll have to look into that. Not sure its really possible.

In the meantime, if you want to run thru my prototype SuperLM code and see if you can figure out how to re- map the IO, that would be a huge help.

shackwrrr
09-27-2014, 09:34 AM
Wanna write some code? The IO from the SMEC needs to be remapped to the SuperLM board.

On the other hand. Maybe its easier to redesign the SuperLM board to use the same IO chips as the SMEC with the same IO mapping. I'll have to look into that. Not sure its really possible.

In the meantime, if you want to run thru my prototype SuperLM code and see if you can figure out how to re- map the IO, that would be a huge help.

Wouldn't it be easier just to use the smec logic board in place of the lm and make a lm to 60 way adapter harness?

ShelGame
09-27-2014, 10:12 AM
Wouldn't it be easier just to use the smec logic board in place of the lm and make a lm to 60 way adapter harness?

Nope. The LM drives the high-current injector drivers (in the PM) with 5v. The SMEC drives them to ground. Can't use a SMEC logic board to run an LM power board. Might as well re-wire the car for SMEC.

Aries_Turbo
09-30-2014, 10:06 PM

i super suck at code lol. otherwise id be doing alot more of the hacking help

thats why i made my request even though its a silly one :-)

- - - Updated - - -

Nope. The LM drives the high-current injector drivers (in the PM) with 5v. The SMEC drives them to ground. Can't use a SMEC logic board to run an LM power board. Might as well re-wire the car for SMEC.

are they logic level signals?

could a inverter chip be used to translate?

Dr. Johny Dodge
11-01-2017, 05:25 AM
I hate to drag up an old thread but how did this end , where does the story go after post 99??

I'm really glad I started skipping posts after 30 or 40 and went to the end .. but ???

the harness in my low mileage charger works and it's more mint than anything I saw even 20 years ago so swapping it out might be a stupid move
an optimized LM/PM arrangement is sounding better than the effort to convert to smec ,, if it exists (?)

Aries_Turbo
11-01-2017, 06:24 AM
it kinda died out.

a few have converted their LM harness to run smec boards. im in the process of doing it myself. A.J. did a writeup based on 85 electronics but its mostly the same for 87 minus a few pin location changed at the LM. same pins that you would change to do an 85-86 repin to use the 87 LM.

Brian

tryingbe
11-01-2017, 08:36 AM
the harness in my low mileage charger works and it's more mint than anything I saw even 20 years ago so swapping it out might be a stupid move
an optimized LM/PM arrangement is sounding better than the effort to convert to smec ,, if it exists (?)

Socket it and run this. Real time update and tune. Simple and easy to use.

https://www.moates.net/ostrich-20-the-new-breed-p-169.html

Then if you upgrade to something better like MS, you can sell it.

Dr. Johny Dodge
11-01-2017, 12:43 PM
OK , thanks guys !
kinda died out .. lol yeah like it ran out in front of a logging truck

I was starting to hope for a flashable fourplay super LM