PDA

View Full Version : T-850 ?s

Lotashelbys
03-16-2013, 08:54 AM
Hey Guys

Tiff just picked up an 04 and its got the infamous 3rd gear issue. Goes in just fine upshifting but will grind on the 4 to 3 downshift and pop back out on you sometimes. I have read a little on these and was just gonna get some new pieces from the dealer since they are available unlike any 568 stuff. I was just gonna get a new 3-4 synchronizer assembly,3rd speed gear,and 3-4 fork. Is there anything else I should pick up? Any upgrades while I am in there? Thanks in advance

roachjuice
03-16-2013, 09:03 AM
Iirc the shift selectors in those 850's are not all that great.

BadAssPerformance
03-16-2013, 09:41 AM
Cool that parts are available.. i miss that for our older stuff!

See if you can find out whats different between the new and bad parts so we can fix it :)

Lotashelbys
03-16-2013, 10:12 AM
Iirc the shift selectors in those 850's are not all that great.
Ya I was reading about that too. I wonder if the billet aftermarket one is the way to go. The car has a Maddog STS in it with the rod break so it cant be "overshifted" and hopefully not bend the new fork after I get it adjusted correctly....

GLHNSLHT2
03-16-2013, 11:03 AM
didn't Ed Peter's say something about running the correct oil in those?

rich tideswell
03-16-2013, 12:52 PM
mobile1 high mileage.

BadAssPerformance
03-16-2013, 02:18 PM

I think every one of his trans discussions begins with a half hour of lube

cordes
03-16-2013, 02:29 PM
I think every one of his trans discussions begins with a half hour of lube

Insert rim shot here for a double pun.

Has anyone actually swapped in the Getrag unit out of a PT turbo and had it do better than the 850 yet? I've read that they should be miles ahead, but only on paper thus far.

wallace
03-19-2013, 10:52 AM
I did some reading on the PT manual trans when I was looking at buying one. What I read was that it is narrower than the t850. Quaiffes are or were still on Ebay for those trannies at a reasonable price.

contraption22
03-19-2013, 04:19 PM

I'm not sold on that. I'd use Mopar MTL.

Keito
03-21-2013, 09:01 PM
I switched to Amsoil MTL and noticed cold shifting improved greatly
Been in ther 4-5 years now
My car has just under 22000 on it

Force Fed Mopar
03-22-2013, 07:19 AM
DodgeZDad has used the factory fill of ATF+4 and friction modifier in his '04 since new, changing it at the specified 18k mile interval, and it went 100k miles with countless trips down the local track every summer, before finally having an issue.

I believe the billet shift selector from AGP or whoever is a good reliability upgrade. If you have the trans out, replace the fork and fork pivot also, these are known to wear and cause clutch issues.

DodgeZdad
03-25-2013, 12:29 PM
DodgeZDad has used the factory fill of ATF+4 and friction modifier in his '04 since new, changing it at the specified 18k mile interval, and it went 100k miles with countless trips down the local track every summer, before finally having an issue.

I believe the billet shift selector from AGP or whoever is a good reliability upgrade. If you have the trans out, replace the fork and fork pivot also, these are known to wear and cause clutch issues.

Even though Kevin changed the fork and various parts the only wear was the syncro pad had cracked after a down shift to 3rd. It appeared as if the glue holding the Kevlar pad to the ring wasn't applied correctly from the get go. The brass forks were like new and not damaged from using atf as reported from some.
I use Pennzoil synchromesh now with great shifts and it has the right additives for great shifting. I would never use motor oil in the newer transmissions with Kevlar or carbon synchro ring padding. Just my opinion though.

Since the plant making these trans has been closed I don't know how long parts will be available. The engine block is available but the heads aren't. Only rebuilt axles are available from Mopar so the parts are drying up.