PDA

View Full Version : 8v Turbo intake/exhaust gaskets

wheming
03-08-2013, 10:27 AM
Is there anything aftermarket out there that is comparable to the mopar gasket 4105745 worth getting?
I could be putting Slug's head back on if I had a gasket.

supercrackerbox
03-08-2013, 11:33 AM
I've always used the Fel-Pro or Victor Reinz ones. I wasn't aware of that gasket being hard to find.

But then again, I've never had a car that performed as well as the Slug.

wheming
03-08-2013, 12:04 PM
I just wouldn't want to have the gasket blow out or fail. If people have been using the Felpro or equivalent at 25-30 Pei boost, then that should be good enough.

The stock mopar is still available but it is 3-5 days away delivery.
But I know I could get something from Carquest or Advance next day if not same day.

wallace
03-08-2013, 12:08 PM
I've used whatever napa, advance, etc carries and they've always worked fine. haven't been over 16 lbs boost though so far. There is on the non-turbo engines a steel shim gasket it looks like you could just re-use it not sure those are even available anymore.

BadAssPerformance
03-08-2013, 12:13 PM
IIR, the last Felpro one I used looks similar to the OEM with the graphite on it and they work well.

Be sure to check it out before you leave the parts store, I have found several of them with one bent end. Looks almost like they fired it into the box with a lot of velocity?

One parts guy gave me the "you can't open that unless you buy it" and I said "I'm not buying it if its bent" so we opened it and it was bent... :banghead:

22shelby
03-08-2013, 12:56 PM
^^ what he said, i bought a "head gasket kit" from pepboys... wouldn't you know it, the head gasket wasn't even in there... like someone bought it, used the HG and returned the kit with out it... cool part was, i didn't need the HG from it... so i got the kit for a heck of a deal!! i ran 25-26 psi on the felpro graphite gasket... with no issue to my knowledge

thedon809
03-08-2013, 02:45 PM
That's nothing. I got a 3.7l headgasket kit from mopar. It came with 1 3.7 hg and 1 2.7l hg.

wheming
03-08-2013, 04:17 PM
That's nothing. I got a 3.7l headgasket kit from mopar. It came with 1 3.7 hg and 1 2.7l hg.

Sounds like a "hybrid" 3.7 kit?? :D

wheming
03-08-2013, 04:20 PM
Well if I would have called earlier I could have had one today, but I'll have it in the morning. Carquest had Victor Rienz and apparently they are owned by Mahle, so hopefully that's a good sign!

And thanks everyone for the feedback. There were a lot of discussions about headgaskets I found in the search but little discussion of 8v turbo int/exh gaskets.

4 l-bodies
03-08-2013, 07:08 PM
Wayne,
FYI, some of the aftermarket intake/exhaust gaskets I've seen have been slightly smaller in the ports than the OEM gasket. No big deal unless you have a heavily ported head with big cc port volumes. Something to check anyway.
Todd

wheming
03-08-2013, 07:56 PM
Good to know! Thanks Todd :thumbup:
I was going to check that to see about gasket matching anyway.
Slug is still stock ports, nothing opened up any.

I may check the turbine housing to S&S log header port match too.
Maybe I'll get to try out these new diamond bits for my Dremel...

trannybuster
03-08-2013, 08:28 PM
Well Felpro reinforced their gasket where it comes right next to the cooling passage, its the same place I blew out a Mopar one! Not sure about Reinz make.....

wheming
03-08-2013, 10:58 PM
Well Felpro reinforced their gasket where it comes right next to the cooling passage, its the same place I blew out a Mopar one! Not sure about Reinz make.....

Me thinks you are talking headgasket.
I'm good there....got a pair of Cometic ones right here in the kitchen. One for Slug and one for Mini.

tryingbe
03-09-2013, 12:11 AM
There was a eBay seller that was selling a copper version of the intake/exhaust gasket.