PDA

View Full Version : Damage pics of trashed cv #2

rhubbard
08-19-2006, 03:35 PM
I've been driving the Lancer all weekend, slowly turning the boost up. Finally got to 14 PSI and it was a blast. Pulls pretty hard. Then Erick (friend) drives it and the torque of a hard shift or the the front motor mount bolt loosened causing the engine to move to much which ripped the bracket out of the block that holds up my 2 peice CV shaft. I was able to find the bolt in the street and the threads were pretty ****** on it.

Now it looks like both the holes for the bracket are not in good shape, so I will be switching over to a 1 peice shaft more than likely and I will have to deal with more torque steer but won't have any more shaft issues. If anyone here could chime in, should I pick up an adjustable bobble strut?

Also shot some photos of a Shelby Charger I found around Rochester and got to do some driving. We sorta raced a Crossfire and the 2 kids in it had their mouths to the floor wondering why my peice of ---- sedan was hauling and making all those cool noises. Overall the car cruised like a dream, but my oil pressure is still a bit low and somewhat concerning, but it hasn't puked on me yet, so who knows.

This was the third time I've had it trailered home and I'm just real lucky that my friends have AAA.

This is the spray of grease from the boot when it ripped. This is both times and I'm planning on leaving it there for memories. I might get more up depending on if the site I hosted these on will allow me to add more, it's acting weird.

http://www.xceedspeed.com/forums/files/0819061428_199.jpg

http://www.xceedspeed.com/forums/files/0819061355_584.jpg

turbovanmanČ
08-20-2006, 12:41 AM
The adjustable BS is a good idea.

Recenter your engine after your done.

boost geek
08-20-2006, 12:56 AM
I have unequal axles and an OBX in a Shelby Charger, and I NEVER fell torque steer anymore, no matter how hard I pound on it. My other S.C. I had also had unequal shafts but no OBX, but at 17 psi you had to have 2 hands on the wheel.
Anyways, if you dont like torque steer, put an OBX in it if you go unequal lenghth...

Tony Hanna
08-20-2006, 02:50 AM
I've owned 1 with equal length and 2 with unequal length so far. All of them have had open diffs and the equal length setup had the same issues with torque steer as the unequal. I honestly couldn't feel a bit of difference between the two.

rhubbard
08-20-2006, 05:58 PM
After Driving it today, I want to say that the torque steer is less of an issue but it could be in my head.

I have heard about this engine recentering and I do not know anything about it. How do I do it?

turbovanmanČ
08-20-2006, 06:29 PM
You need to measure the cv shafts so see if its the same on both sides. As that, I mean the inner joint moves in and out so you need to measure this. To adjust, loosen the front mount bracket and upper right bracket and move the engine or trans left and right.