PDA

View Full Version : throttle body upgrade

wowzer
03-05-2013, 12:26 PM
is the 58mm TB off of a 98-00 van the easiest way to upgrade to a larger TB? this is going on a custom intake for a 2.2 T2 with various performance mods. or should i look for something bigger?

GLHNSLHT2
03-05-2013, 08:08 PM
If the intake is custom then anything is easy. How big do you need though? the 58mm on my big plenum intake with a 2 piece ported to match lower had wicked throttle response. It was almost too quick to react.

zin
03-05-2013, 08:37 PM
I don't recall if the various sizes have been flowed to show their rates vs each other, so that makes is a little tough, but that's how I'd want to select a TB, assuming I had a good idea of how many cfm I needed...

With a custom intake, I'd probably look at Ford Mustang TBs, they seem to be pretty prolific and pretty cheap!

The response can be adjusted with the cam shape the cable runs over, if it's too quick, make the first 1/4 or less of opening take about 1/2 of the pedal travel... or whatever fits your style.

Mike

wowzer
03-05-2013, 11:32 PM
i'm looking to get to a sub 12 sec 1/4 mile or around 350 to 400 hp eventually. obviously my concerns are availability, cost and ease of installation (as far as wiring regarding ais and tps). i assume there is a calculation somewhere i could do to figure out the optimum size but i'm just too lazy for now!! don't want to overkill it. if most use a van 58mm and it will reach my goal then great.

GLHNSLHT2
03-05-2013, 11:48 PM
a 58 should do that easily. I was thinking about putting a 52 on my manifold just to slow the throttle response down a bit for driveability. With the koni's and eibachs if you hit some washboard you wanted to jam the side of your foot against the exhaust tunnel so it didn't bounce off the throttle.