PDA

View Full Version : Billet rods vs. Aluminum

85boostbox
03-05-2013, 10:56 AM
I want to run a light short block set up for my build. But want it to be more or less reliable. Anyone run the billet rods in there setup and if so how did they like them. I know aluminum rods are way lighter but the billet is still about 100 grams lighter than a t2 rod. I want to run something strong as well considering this is going to be a high compression build with boost.

Kryp2nitE
03-05-2013, 11:31 AM
Billet is not a material but a manufacturing process. It means the part is processed from one chunk of material. You can have Billet Steel or Billet Aluminum.

In my experience Aluminum rods needs to be pulled and checked more often. So I guess it depends how often you want to tear down the bottom end.

85boostbox
03-05-2013, 11:33 AM
Dont really want to tear down unless there is a problem lol. But i guess if i had to i could do it every winter. But I really dont want to do that.

4 l-bodies
03-05-2013, 12:14 PM
Better decide before you cut crank as aluminum rods require more rod bearing clearance. Also need to do a slight modification to half of bearing too. IIRC, 5.945" aluminum rod from GRP weighs about 441g. That is pretty light!
Todd

85boostbox
03-05-2013, 12:25 PM
Could explain more on the modification part. And have you ever had experience with billet steel rods. I see they weigh about 590 grams. Stock t2 rods weight 690 grams. Just want a solid engine. Want it to be able to handle street duty, auto-x and drag.

turbo2point2
03-05-2013, 01:12 PM
Todd may be referring to the lower half of the bearing. On the GRP rods, they have a pin on the cap that helps retain the bearing. The bearing itself needs to be drilled to fit over that pin. For a street engine, I would go with a steel rod. I have run both with no noticeable difference. I currently run Oliver billet steel rods in my motor. Been in there since 2009 and have seen a lot of passes, most were with 8500+ rpm shift point. Occasionally it would see 9000+, and with the auto, they are also punished on shutdown.

85boostbox
03-05-2013, 01:26 PM
Thanks Brian. That was the info I was looking for. So looks like I will be going with a steel rod then. Sounds better for my application plus I don't think I will be seeing 9000 RPM revs lol. Maybe 6500 to 7000. Thanks again Brian.

85boostbox
03-05-2013, 01:29 PM
And one other question. You don't have to set clearances differently for steel. Set them to factory specs correct???

turbo2point2
03-05-2013, 02:09 PM
I run larger than stock clearances(.0028-.003) on my race stuff, but the factory spec will do just fine in your application. I try and stay on the larger end of the spec. and always bump the oil pump up with the MP spring.

85boostbox
03-05-2013, 02:23 PM
Makes sense in your application cause you want the least amount of friction you can get.

GLHNSLHT2
03-05-2013, 08:54 PM
too bad the billet titanium rods aren't being made anymore.

cordes
03-05-2013, 09:14 PM

They aren't? I've read in many places that they're a great compromise between Al and steel rods material wise. Is it simply a cost in machining issue? I've also read that Ti is really gummy and difficult to machine.

Reaper1
03-05-2013, 09:59 PM

You can have custom ones made, but be prepared to spend around $2k JUST for the rods! IMHO there are other less expensive places to reduce mass that are more effective.

They aren't? I've read in many places that they're a great compromise between Al and steel rods material wise. Is it simply a cost in machining issue? I've also read that Ti is really gummy and difficult to machine.

Yes, machining titanium is difficult and it also requires special prep of the crankshaft as well as titanium galls very easily. This might be mitigated by using a different alloy of titanium, however.

Stick with a good forged steel rod, or if you want to go balls out, forged steel billet rod. The new metallurgy for aluminum pretty much eliminates the horror stories of back in the "old days" when they had a more finite lifespan, however, aluminum STILL has a finite lifespan as it does work harden over time, and eventually *can* fail. If it's an all out race engine that is going to be torn down every year, go for it! The gains to be had are amazing. However, for a street engine you want to seal up and not mess with...steel is still the way to go.

That being said about aluminum, I do know people who have run the living crap out of the same set of aluminum rods in SEVERAL engines over many years of racing and they never gave up. I also know some that run them on the street. I suppose it all depends on how much you trust them.

GLHNSLHT2
03-05-2013, 11:51 PM
GRP, or whatever their name is that makes the aluminum rods also made titanium rods, they claimed that the price increase for just the material helped them make the decision not to make them anymore. Glad I have a set :) Not sure when they'll get run though. I also have a set of Oliver's that will hopefully be running this year. Glad to hear Brian is having good luck with them.

rx2mazda
03-05-2013, 11:52 PM
I run larger than stock clearances(.0028-.003) on my race stuff, but the factory spec will do just fine in your application. I try and stay on the larger end of the spec. and always bump the oil pump up with the MP spring.

I assume that your running a double ported head too? I'm sure that helps also.

cordes
03-05-2013, 11:56 PM
I assume that your running a double ported head too? I'm sure that helps also.

Come on Carroll that was in post one of his build thread. Get with it man. You've been gone for too long.

rx2mazda
03-06-2013, 12:11 AM
You've been gone for too long.

True, true!

Reaper1
03-06-2013, 12:18 AM
GRP, or whatever their name is that makes the aluminum rods also made titanium rods, they claimed that the price increase for just the material helped them make the decision not to make them anymore. Glad I have a set :) Not sure when they'll get run though. I also have a set of Oliver's that will hopefully be running this year. Glad to hear Brian is having good luck with them.

I heard the same thing about the material cost. It honestly doesn't surprise me. I wanted a set for my build, but before I dump $2k on rods, I'll dump $5k on a custom crank! WAY more benefit to be had there! ;) :thumb:

turbo2point2
03-06-2013, 07:05 AM
Double ported head FTMFW!! :)

85boostbox
03-06-2013, 01:46 PM
And stickers...

turboshad
03-06-2013, 02:44 PM
I've taken my Eagles past 500 wheel at up to 10,000 RPM though not on purpose. I think they are about the lightest rod you can get.

Lotashelbys
03-06-2013, 07:10 PM
I have had good luck with BC H-beams. Been to 8500 a few times and past 40 PSI and they are closing in on 20K street driven miles. They are about as ready to run as they come using standard 2.2-2.5 bearings and .901 pins. I have installed 4 sets and they all checked good to go out of the box. I agree with Brians clearances also

Another problem with aluminum rods in a manual is they dont like to be downshifted