PDA

View Full Version : Megasquirt and 2.2/2.5 mode who is running it?

wallace
03-04-2013, 08:51 AM
I got my car running on a MS2 using the 2.2/2.5 code and the stock distributor/HEP's. I'm using LS2 coils wired in wasted spark mode. I had an issue getting it to start and discovered using a timing light that coils 2,3 were firing when 1,4 should be. I quadruple checked my wiring from the coil drivers to the coils and the wiring is correct. I believe there may be a bug in the 2.2/2.5 code. I would like to know if anyone else is running the MS2 and 2.2/2.5 code successfully? I swapped the coil drivers and the car fired right up. I had read on the other board that Una had problems getting his MS3 unit to run on 2.2/2.5 code and I'm thinking my issue and his may be the same. Thanks.

AzShadow
03-04-2013, 09:00 PM
if i ever get my act together and wire my car ill let you know. sounds like i may have some fun ahead of me.

wallace
03-05-2013, 08:17 AM
Yep, per Una the MS3 code for 2.2/2.5 is really messed up. He was working with someone to correct the issue but it was never resolved. I've asked him for that person's contact information so I can send him a dual HEP distributor. Hopefully it can be fixed. I was intending to run MS3 using the 2.2/2.5 code but it sounds like that is not possible at this time. If you do get yours running please do post in here and let me know if you find the same issue I have with the coil drivers. Per Una the injector drivers are also transposed. I'm using batch fire and it didn't seem to affect starting the car. I'm finishing up the rest of the stuff that needs to be done on the car before I can tag and insure it. I'm going to get all that done before I attempt to tune the car.

AzShadow
03-06-2013, 12:24 AM
forgot to mention....i will be running ms3x...not sure if that makes a difference or not

wallace
03-06-2013, 08:45 AM
Yes, if you go over to the "other" website and look in the megasquirt thread on the last page he says the MS3X code for 2.2/2.5 is all jacked up. I'm going to put a degree wheel on the car and make marks for all 4 cylinders at TDC and then check with a light to see if they are firing 180* out from each other. I can't verify further than that as I'm using wasted spark mode and each driver fires twice instead of once.

crusty shadow
03-06-2013, 04:50 PM
on the msextra forum they apparently have little to no interest in fixing 2.2/2.5 mode for MSIII. once i saw that i decided that im going to run a 36-1 wheel on the crank and an N/A single hep distributor with a single tooth shutter wheel. the timing resoloution with that setup is much more accurate than the dual hep setup and will read crank rpm accurately to over 18,000 rpm.

wallace
03-06-2013, 04:59 PM
What was attractive to me was with the 2.2/2.5 code there was no need to rig up a trigger wheel and pickup and then still end up using the distributor. And THEN you still have to sync up the new trigger wheel and the single pickup on the distributor. The 2.2/2.5 code was written and it appears to work in wasted spark and batch fire in the MSII. I don't think it would be that much work to fix the MS3X code it is open source and if someone fixed it I'm sure they would be happy to include it in the next release. I know absolutely nothing about writing code. I am willing to do the leg work with a distributor and the MS2 to try and narrow down what the issue is...I just need to know what needs to be done.

AzShadow
04-15-2013, 12:48 AM
after i saw una post on the other site that if he were to build a car right now using ms3 he would do the 36-1 wheel....i may just go this route and run wasted spark aand batch fuel for now.

how did you end up getting your car running?

Vigo
04-15-2013, 01:10 AM
So, is there some kind of issue with using MS to just trigger the stock coil and keep a distributor spark system? Or is this only a wasted spark / COP issue?

AzShadow
04-15-2013, 01:55 AM
not too sure about stock coil but i'm talking about wasted/cop

wallace
04-15-2013, 08:48 AM
So, is there some kind of issue with using MS to just trigger the stock coil and keep a distributor spark system? Or is this only a wasted spark / COP issue?

The problem is with the code that was written to run the engine using the existing dual HEP distributor. It does not work. I'm going to have to convert my setup to run a 36-1 wheel. I've got the wheel I need to machine the inner pulley off and install the wheel and then the pickup. Really sucks and I wish that it had been made clear the code was broken and I wouldn't have had to dick around with this thing trying to figure out why it wouldn't run right. The timing is so retarded on the second coil driver those two header tubes glow red after a spin down the block.

AzShadow
04-16-2013, 06:26 PM
The problem is with the code that was written to run the engine using the existing dual HEP distributor. It does not work. I'm going to have to convert my setup to run a 36-1 wheel. I've got the wheel I need to machine the inner pulley off and install the wheel and then the pickup. Really sucks and I wish that it had been made clear the code was broken and I wouldn't have had to dick around with this thing trying to figure out why it wouldn't run right. The timing is so retarded on the second coil driver those two header tubes glow red after a spin down the block.

thats the nail in the coffin for the dual HEP for me....ordered a 36-1 wheel last night

ShelGame
01-08-2015, 05:00 PM
Is anyone interested in fixing the MS 2.2/2.5 HEP decoder? I'm sure I can fix the decoder (I was just looking at what's there this afternoon). But, I'm not converting my car to MS to test it...

wallace
01-09-2015, 09:07 AM
Somebody posted in the thread on the other site that it had been fixed.

ShelGame
01-09-2015, 10:51 AM
Somebody posted in the thread on the other site that it had been fixed.

I read over the code yesterday. I wouldn't say it's fixed. It's hack to make it work, but it only works like the TBI distributor. It only reads the 4 vanes, it doesn't use the 'window' for sync, so it could never run sequential injection or COP.

I will try my best to 'fix' the distributor code in MS, but I'll need a tester.