PDA

View Full Version : Question for GLH owners

QwikEVO
02-24-2013, 04:26 PM
Ok, doing my best to restore my GLH piece-by-piece...

The headlight bezels and grille...are they gloss, satin, or flat black?

My GLH has been repainted, and the bezels are flat...but the grille is gloss. Just trying to make sure mine is restored correctly.

And how about the bumpers and the rear around the license plate?

ajakeski
02-24-2013, 04:33 PM
Originally the grille and headlight doors were bare black plastic. It had a slight sheen to it.
SEM Trim black paint is a really close.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/spraypaintdepot/automotive-trim-paint.aspx?gclid=CJ7YvcPlz7UCFVSVMgod5CYALg

4 l-bodies
02-25-2013, 12:50 PM
Bumpers were originally black anodized. They had a sheen to them. Rear tailights area paint with SEM trim paint. That is very close to original. I would refer to gloss as eggshell not satin. Certainly not flat or gloss. Not really satin or semi-gloss either. I agree, SEM trim black is pretty close to original sheen, but I wouldn't paint bumpers with rattle can, as it will never hold up. I would be skeptical that bezels and grille will last very long with SEM rattle can either.
Todd

QwikEVO
02-25-2013, 01:00 PM
Well, it's rattle can or pay out the nose for a paint shop to do it....and I'll repaint every so often vs. paying out the nose. Thanks for the SEM plug, I'll get some ASAP.

4 l-bodies
02-25-2013, 03:20 PM
Well, it's rattle can or pay out the nose for a paint shop to do it....and I'll repaint every so often vs. paying out the nose. Thanks for the SEM plug, I'll get some ASAP.
I've repainted several Omni bumpers with catalyzed paint and powdercoated many more. Both of those methods hold up well. If you can get bumpers blasted, you should be able to find someone to powdercoat for around $100-120, maybe less. Beware that SEM paint is like $12-15 a can, or go elcheapo Rustoleum satin black for $4 a can. Buy it by the case (lol).

ajakeski
02-26-2013, 02:39 PM
Powder coat is the best for the bumpers, but if the paint has worn off of your bumper and the raw aluminum has been exposed to the elements for a long period of time, the powder coat may not turn out that well.
This happened with one of my bumpers. It had a lot of pop marks. Looked like solvent pop marks like paint would get.
The coater said it was caused by contaminants in the aluminum escaping during the baking process.
Since Omni bumpers are interchangable front to back, I painted the bad one with basecoat clearcoat and put it in the rear.

As always, use the best parts you can find.