PDA

View Full Version : SRT 4 Transmission bolted to a 2.2 block???

moparguy85
02-24-2013, 12:53 AM
I am looking at bolting an srt4 transmission to a 2.2 block in my shelby charger. I have read that the bolt patterns are the same but do not know for sure. Any help is greatly appreciated. Also i am wondering if anybody knows what clutch, throw out bearing and flywheel that i can use. I am also curious if i have to use the hydraulic clutch set up outta the srt4 or if it is possible to make it a cable driven clutch as i already have. If it is possible for cable clutch anybody with info on how to do so would be great. i am also wondering if i am going to have to do something different for a starter or will stock shelby be fine? Lastly are the srt4 axles gonna be ok to use or do i gotta do some sort of hybrid cross mixing setup. I am planning to run an srt4 shifter and cable setup. Please somebody correct me if a am wrong and any help to be guided in the right direction would be excellent. Thank you much to anybody that can help.

135sohc
02-24-2013, 01:01 AM
Starter motor wont fit. Newer stuff uses a front mounted start vs our rear mounted configuration.

moparguy85
02-24-2013, 01:05 AM
is there anyway to adapt that to make it work?

BadAssPerformance
02-24-2013, 11:19 AM
As 135sohc said, the starter wont fit. 3 out of 4 bolt holes line up and the 4th one is right in the way of the starter. If you look at the 2.2L and T850 trans you will quickly see this. Can it be done? Only if you want to remove/relocate the front mounting ear on the 2.2L block, or modify the T850 case to allow for a rear mounted starter...

Now the opposite works, I have the A568 behind the 2.4L in my Z and several others have too.

Any reason you dont want to use an A555 or A568 trans? IMHO they are at least just as good or better anyways.

moparguy85
02-24-2013, 09:25 PM
i will have to check out that option for relocating them ears and ive been told that the 850 is a better trans but dont honestly know for sure. plus mine already got the lsd in it anyways. i was originally lookin at a 568 but never went through with it because i got chatting with a few other guys bout the 850

135sohc
02-24-2013, 10:15 PM
The T850 is hardly the bulletproof gem its been marketed as being but OTOH the 568 suffers from a severe lacking of parts support.