PDA

View Full Version : Consider this?

shadow88
08-18-2006, 05:02 PM
Has anyone considered a propane conversion on a t-d? Perhaps propane injection?

Just something I was pondering.

BadAssPerformance
08-18-2006, 07:05 PM
If I remember, LPG is like 130 octane?

shadow88
08-18-2006, 09:58 PM
Yeah, something wild like that...It must be pretty knock resistant, but lacks the BTU's. Have you considered it? I was just thinking because I found a daytona for sale in rough shape, just tossing out the idea.

I bet it could support enough boost without detonating to make up for it's BTU short commings.

Clay
08-18-2006, 11:44 PM
from what Ive read about it, you need a car that has a carb in order to use the LPG correct carb on the engine. Just something to think about.

BadAssPerformance
08-18-2006, 11:46 PM
In College we (GMI) participated in the Chrysler minivan LPG Challenge. One School ran LPG thru the factory 3.3L fuel system.

Clay
08-19-2006, 12:02 AM
hmmmm how did they inject it?? as a liquid????

BadAssPerformance
08-19-2006, 09:43 AM
just like gasoline :thumb:

Birddog
08-19-2006, 10:27 AM

Would act like a fuel and intercooler at the same time popping out of the injectors too!(kinda):D

I've been toying with the idea too http://www.dualcurve.com/

Clay
08-19-2006, 11:20 AM

thats pretty cool! every LPG system Ive seen injects it as a gas.

WVRampage
08-20-2006, 09:35 PM
there were some caravans that came with LP theres one right here in town that the guy is trying to go the other way with it so it will run on regular gas,he was telling me they ran the same as the normal 3.0s but when you convert them back to gas due ti the different cams in the LP engines they ran great. I wouldnt run LP I have heard it makes less power N/A now maby under boost it would be beter.Almost all the cars around here that the gas company operates are LP o think so you may want to talk to one of the drivers if you see them out and if they are a freind of yours maby let you drive.

shadow88
08-21-2006, 06:39 PM
This must have been the project JT was in..He's mentioned at the bottom.

http://www.kettering.edu/~lpgvan/SAE-LPG.html

Some very interesting stuff for sure..Some thing that wasn't noted was the engines' output. I'd assume it was close to the factory 3.3l V6 And no mention of forced induction vehicles with LPG, although it was mentioned with gassious propane.

If you have any more info on this JT - I, for one, would love to hear more about it.:thumb:

BadAssPerformance
08-21-2006, 07:15 PM
Yeah, thats it... we got 2nd place the first year and 1st place the second year.

main page here: http://www.kettering.edu/~lpgvan/

more info? hmmmm... not too much I rememebr but our system was pretty simple and bolt on just using a custom fuel system and fuel controller.

I did not participate the second year.... but the first year there was one turbo van and one with a blower. Forget which school was what, but IIR, the turbo van didnt run well (needed a tune) but the blower van did. Also, IIR, ours was 3rd fastest in the 1/4 mile (dont remember the time) and Auto X behind the blower van and the built Texas van.

Somewhere I got some mean pictures of the van doing a HUGE smoke show in the school parking lot ;)

Avenger
08-26-2006, 07:51 PM
A junkyard here in Columbus had a 88 3.0V6 van with a propane conversion on it. The regular injectors were simply disconnected from the fuel system, and the propane was injected into the throttle body from a diffuser that fit in FRONT of the throttle blade, around the inside of the throat. There was a mechanical linkage that went to the diffuser from the throttle shaft, it controlled some sort of barrel valve to regulate the propane flow.
I doubt it made much power, the diffuser resticted the TB pretty badly, it was probably about 25% blocked. The propane lines looked pretty small too, they weren't much larger than the lines from my grill, although I have no real idea how large they would have to be.
Dunno why anyone bothered, unless it was to use the van as a warehouse vehicle (you can't run gasoline inside a building, fumes and what-not), but the little dedicated haulers they make for that are cheaper and can carry more cargo. More maneuverable too.