PDA

View Full Version : Upgrades for this spring

iTurbo
02-19-2013, 07:53 PM
I have been slowly buying parts to do some upgrades on the Caliber SRT-4 this spring. So far, I have only added the Mopar S1 ECU which helped a lot, especially with the throttle response. With the stock ECU, the throttle response left a lot to be desired thanks to the nanny drive-by-wire bullshit. As far as non-performance oriented upgrades, I have also added the Gizmos Retrofits 'lower splash shield' and their 'radiator cover', a shorty antenna from Modern Performance, and a 'SRT' grille badge from Mopar from the Challenger/Charger SRT vehicles (fits perfect, should have come stock on the Caliber SRT-4).

I have a big plastic tub full of parts waiting to go on this spring!

NeedsWings 3" O2 housing (eliminates 1st catalytic converter)
NeedsWings 3" down pipe w/cut-out provision (eliminates 2nd catalytic converter)
NeedsWings 3" intake (eliminates factory airbox)
NeedsWings BOV kit (HKS SSQV IV BOV with block off plate for factory surge valve)
Gizmos Retrofits single gauge A-pillar pod (plan to add wide-band gauge here)
Gizmos Retrofits dual gauge steering column pod (plan to add dual Aeroforce Interceptor gauges here)
Hawk HPS brake pads to replace front OEM pads
NAPA premium 'plain' rotors to replace front OEM rotors
Mopar 'RER' touch screen Nav radio to replace stock '08 'RES' non touch screen Nav radio (with '09 CSRT center stack bezel so it fits like stock)
Lockpick adapter to enable '09 Mopar RER Nav unit install and unlock lots of functions

That is what I have so far. I imagine this will be enough to bump the car up to around 320 WHP. I am also looking into getting the RealTune MS2K ECU to replace my Mopar MS1 ECU. Time will tell if/when that is ever released. The features (and supporting mods) are yet to be released. I am hoping that the addition of the RealTune MS2K ECU will get my car near somewhere between 350-400 WHP with the stock turbocharger. Who knows for sure.

This car has been a lot of fun so far though. It is WAY faster than my older turbo Mopars, although I admit I my older cars aren't much more than bolt-on stuff. I will say that I am adamant about doing the TIII swap on my Omni GLH Turbo and it WILL teach the CSRT who's boss in the end.

At any rate, I will post pics when Upgrade Day 2013 comes soon!

RoadWarrior222
02-19-2013, 07:58 PM
Might wanna rethink the touch screen, there's no control feedback, have to take your eyes off the road to do anything.... or at least don't get rid of your old one until you discover whether it's a particular PITA or not.

iTurbo
02-19-2013, 08:02 PM
I hear ya. I am really on the fence about replacing the '08 Nav unit with the '09 Nav (touch screen) unit. One really nice thing about the '09 unit is that the Nav data is on an internal HD instead of DVD based so it would be a lot faster and upgrades would likely be a lot cheaper (free?). Plus you can store music on the internal HD.

I did get the '09 RER Nav unit for free though! My older brother let me remove it from his '09 Jeep GC before it was repo'd. I took it out and replaced it with a base model unit from eBay for $20!

cordes
02-20-2013, 12:24 AM
Tagging for later.

contraption22
02-20-2013, 12:32 AM
Sounds pretty cool!

2.216VTurbo
02-21-2013, 07:37 PM
Why does everyone on TM.com with a Masi 16V project keep putting *other* projects ahead of them:( How am I supposed to stay motivated on my Masi Project(s)??:p

RoadWarrior222
02-21-2013, 07:58 PM
You're not, you're supposed to carry on making your van bada$s :thumb: :D

Nightcrawler
02-21-2013, 08:24 PM
'' and a 'SRT' grille badge from Mopar from the Challenger/Charger SRT vehicles (fits perfect, should have come stock on the Caliber SRT-4). ''

Please do send a pic. when this is installed, I'd like to see what it does look like:thumb:

cordes
02-21-2013, 08:51 PM
Why does everyone on TM.com with a Masi 16V project keep putting *other* projects ahead of them:( How am I supposed to stay motivated on my Masi Project(s)??:p

If they could just get board of them and sell them off for a song like people on normal car sites you wouldn't have to complain!

GLHNSLHT2
02-22-2013, 12:10 AM

Please elaborate on who "everyone" is. I have zero projects ahead of my Masi 16v project, but because of Obama and my b1tch a$$ baby momma I have a hard time allocating funds towards it. Hopefully I get the tax return I should get and then I can take another big step towards having it running. If gas prices keep climbing I'm going to need it to survive. Yes that's right I need a Masi setup to Survive :)

iTurbo
03-08-2013, 09:54 PM

Ha, well Alan I have managed to say 'no' to Hans Hermann, so at least there is that. I think my biggest problem is that I really turned into a hoarder the last few years. After everything happened with my brother, I was buying up choice turbo Mopar car project stuff left and right. I have waaaay too much stuff right now and not enough time! I have a pretty good job now, and no baby-mammas (done scared 'em all off I reckon). So basically, it's easy to afford cool stuff, but my job has really taken over my life unfortunately. I do miss the good 'ol days when I was a pizza delivery driver and I had all day to work on car stuff, and work at night. Not to mention having my bro help me with all the car projects.

I haven't started on the Caliber SRT stuff yet. To tell you the truth, I've been really sidetracked lately because I bought a Ford Ranger for my Dad to replace the one he rolled. I got it a few weeks ago and have been busy doing some maintenance and upgrades to it before we give it to him next week. He still has no idea we bought it for him so it will be quite a surprise.

And then, a local friend of mine has been clamoring for me to sell him my red Spirit R/T, so that is the next thing I gotta work on. To tell you the truth I will be relieved to see it go because no one in there right mind should own *two* Spirit R/Ts..

As far as Masi projects, wow where to begin! I have a stock 2.2L CB motor that I got from Mark C. a while back and it is complete down to the belts and ready to drop in a vehicle (Shelby CSX or SL??). Then I have a somewhat complete pre-CB 2.2L in pieces....and then the badass 2.0L I got from the guy in Boise. Sometimes I think I should start a poll on my many irons in the fire so you guys can help me decide on what to do next. I just wish there were more hours in the day and days in the week!

iTurbo
03-08-2013, 11:02 PM
Oh, and I did pick up a ND Performance DRIVER MOD for the Caliber SRT-4 from FWDPerformance recently as well... That should help the 60ft and 0-60 MPH big time.. Basically it will allow the car to have a programmable 2-step rev limit (launch control), advanced traction control much better than the factory setup, and WOT shifing (no lift shift).

iTurbo
03-08-2013, 11:38 PM
'' and a 'SRT' grille badge from Mopar from the Challenger/Charger SRT vehicles (fits perfect, should have come stock on the Caliber SRT-4). ''

Please do send a pic. when this is installed, I'd like to see what it does look like:thumb:

Crap, I was going to post a pic (of my car) but it appears my membership has expired. I got it from the www.wholesalemopar.com and it is the stock part for the Charger/Challenger SRT-8. Here is a link to another one showing how it looks. Mine is just like that except my car is Sunburst Orange. It fits the Caliber SRT grille perfectly.

http://www.caliberforumz.com/PHOTOPOST/data/539/SRT4-1.JPG

Johnny
03-18-2013, 08:18 AM
What about these...
http://www.modernperformance.com/product/MPx_Motor_Mount_Insert_Set_08_Caliber_SRT4/calibersrt4_engine_mounts

or these...
http://polybushings.com/pages/caliber.html

iTurbo
03-26-2013, 01:23 AM
Yup, I imagine I will be picking those up as well when the time comes. Polybushings motor mounts have always served me well in the past with my older turbo Mopars!

...any aspirations to making the (poly) trans mount? Doesn't seem like there are any vendors out there offering that. For all I know it's not needed, but I thought I would ask. I've heard it's a bugger to replace that one.

Johnny
03-26-2013, 07:49 AM
Not likely. Not the demand.

iTurbo
04-10-2013, 11:47 PM
So now MS2K is NOT happening according to RealTune. Way to keep a dozens of CSRT owners on edge for MONTHS and finally blame potential customers for shelving it. LAME!

Spiritman
04-11-2013, 12:25 AM
iturbo. i would be looking to get one of those nav units from you if u are willing to part with one. i am hoping to get a 2011 ram 1500 in the next 7 months or so and that would be a nice upgrade :) if it will fit?

iTurbo
04-11-2013, 01:05 AM
Honestly I'm thinking more of keeping my CSRT stock, so I may be open to selling the RER nav (touch screen) NAV unit I got out of my brother's '09 Jeep Cherokee....

First you have to find out if your vehicle uses the hi-speed or lo-speed CAN bus...

The RER NAV unit I have is lo-speed..

Spiritman
04-12-2013, 01:06 AM
looks like the truck is high speed :(

Johnny
04-12-2013, 11:04 AM
Yup, I imagine I will be picking those up as well when the time comes. Polybushings motor mounts have always served me well in the past with my older turbo Mopars!

I would love you to buy the Modern Performance ones!!!!!!!!!!!

iTurbo
04-20-2013, 05:08 PM
I take it the ones Modern Performance sells are yours, Johnny?

Is there any chance these are available in black? I'm kind of particular of underhood appearance, and the blue inserts would clash on an orange car.

Johnny
04-20-2013, 06:07 PM
They sell black and also blue.