PDA

View Full Version : Sway bar differences

turbodaytona87
02-13-2013, 12:10 PM
I currently have the stock 87 suspension in my Daytona, but someone along the line broke the sway bar mounts and decided to weld them in. The welds broke a few years ago, and instead of rewelding it, I decided to swap to the stamped dual pivot setup (from 89-90 shadow). Am I able to reuse my 87 Shelby sway bar, or do I need to find one from an 89-90?

turbovanmanČ
02-13-2013, 01:36 PM
If you kept the stamped dual pivot arms then yes, you can reuse it.

turbodaytona87
02-13-2013, 02:56 PM
Awesome, that makes me feel better

GLHNSLHT2
02-13-2013, 08:15 PM
ok 1st, assuming your stock 87 kmember is a 1 1/4" sway bar setup then no one broke your sway bar mounts. Those Kmember in 87-88 came from the factory with poly universal mounts welded in. As well as a couple of extra pieces welded to the side of the kmember for bracing.

2nd, all non-lbody and non-minivan sway bars are the same shape up until 1990. They changed in 1991 with the cast arm cars.

supercrackerbox
02-14-2013, 03:19 AM
Regardless of which style pockets he has for the center bushings, I think Johnny has bushings to fit.

GLHNSLHT2
02-14-2013, 10:50 PM
actually he doesn't for the 89/90 kmembers. His bushings are too big and squish and keep the bar from rotating properly

turbodaytona87
02-15-2013, 12:41 PM
ok 1st, assuming your stock 87 kmember is a 1 1/4" sway bar setup then no one broke your sway bar mounts. Those Kmember in 87-88 came from the factory with poly universal mounts welded in. As well as a couple of extra pieces welded to the side of the kmember for bracing.

2nd, all non-lbody and non-minivan sway bars are the same shape up until 1990. They changed in 1991 with the cast arm cars.

It looked like some pretty shitty welding and both sway bar mounts snapped. It looks like the welds corresponded with some bolt holes. That's all beside the point, this is getting swapped to a dual pivot setup anyway.

Why are the poly bushings bad? I have Energy Suspension myself because they were cheaper, but I'm curious.

turbovanmanČ
02-15-2013, 04:38 PM
Why are the poly bushings bad? I have Energy Suspension myself because they were cheaper, but I'm curious.

Jay doesn't like them, and instead of telling Johnny issues so they can be fixed, he chooses to make his own or use Energy products.

Johnny
02-15-2013, 05:55 PM
They fit many of the k-frames, just a few k-frames were made different. I have installed them on 3 k-frames that they fit perfect.

supercrackerbox
02-16-2013, 04:29 AM
I was gonna say, the ones I just put in the Daytona fit fine. I haven't gotten around to trying the ones for the GLHS yet, but I can't see how they wouldn't work.

GLHNSLHT2
02-16-2013, 11:27 AM
It looked like some pretty shitty welding and both sway bar mounts snapped. It looks like the welds corresponded with some bolt holes. That's all beside the point, this is getting swapped to a dual pivot setup anyway.

they're too big for the kmember and squish before you can get the clamps tight, this binds the bar and doesn't allow it to rotate which hurts handling.

Jay doesn't like them, and instead of telling Johnny issues so they can be fixed, he chooses to make his own or use Energy products.

Simon, don't talk about what you don't know. I tried the whole bar, took pics, sent Johnny links to said pics, then drove 6 hrs one way to try a 91+ bar and back and that still didn't work, it rubbed the curb protector on my tire on the way home and could of punctured it at 75MPH also rubbed the CV boots. Had to send that whole bar back. Also the 84-90 bar I originally tried wouldn't allow full suspension movement without hitting the a-arms because the bars were straight out of the kmember instead of bent down like stock. That's why we tried the 91 bar but it had other issues. I got the same basic line then. "It's worked fine on other cars, haven't heard anything, I installed it on my cars and it's fine blah blah blah. If people ask about a product I'm not going to tell them to buy it if I know it doesn't work. WTF kind of morals are those?

I was gonna say, the ones I just put in the Daytona fit fine. I haven't gotten around to trying the ones for the GLHS yet, but I can't see how they wouldn't work.

So yours worked on your 91 huh? No squishing at all? And might be ok on your GLHS too but we're talking about the 89/90 setup now.

Here's tryingbe's 89/90 kmember.

http://www.thelostartof.net/tryingbe/dodge/Daytonaproject/polybushings2.jpg

and for reference here's what an 87/88 big bar kmember got from the factory.

http://www.polybushings.com/images/D-style.JPG

Johnny
02-16-2013, 12:10 PM
W (http://www.thelostartof.net/tryingbe/dodge/Daytonaproject/polybushings2.jpg)ell that one is not fitting for sure.

Johnny
02-16-2013, 12:14 PM
I have swaybars that fit:
84-89 stamped arms
1990 stamped arms
91-95 cast arms
All three are different. I think GLHNSLHT2 fitment was before I made the one for the 1990. We tried a older and cast one and would not work.