PDA

View Full Version : DoublePlay/FourPlay

ShelGame
02-10-2013, 12:41 PM
I've been thinking baout making a change to the DoublePlay/FourPlay cal switchers. The way I setup the board, it can be either a Double or Four just by a solder bridge. The biggest cost and PITA for me is adding the switch/wires. So, I'm thinking I can offer them at a lower cost and make them user-configurable. Basically, you have to add your own wires/switch and set the solder bridge for whichever configuration you choose (Double or Four-play).

But, I thought I'd get some feedback first. Thoughts?

jckrieger
02-10-2013, 07:22 PM
Rob,

I think that sounds good to me. I might be interested in something like this since there is no flashable LM option. I'd imagine most people who are using this type of setup are familiar with how to run wires and make solder connections.

RoadWarrior222
02-10-2013, 07:48 PM
Is there a way you could make the PCBs such that circuit traces could be broken to select one or the other? Just thinking I'd be okay with something like you propose, and quite a few others would, but there's some who soldering would scare off.... scratching out a "bridge" with a screwdriver to pick an option might be slightly less intimidating.

ShelGame
02-10-2013, 07:59 PM
Is there a way you could make the PCBs such that circuit traces could be broken to select one or the other? Just thinking I'd be okay with something like you propose, and quite a few others would, but there's some who soldering would scare off.... scratching out a "bridge" with a screwdriver to pick an option might be slightly less intimidating.

I'd have to make new boards, and I currently have at least a year's supply....

jckrieger
02-10-2013, 08:00 PM
I'm guessing you could make the bridge with a conductive trace pen. I used to use these for overclocking old AMD "Thunderbird" CPU's. It'd be an alternative for those not familiar with a soldering iron.

RoadWarrior222
02-10-2013, 08:35 PM
Or defogger repair paint... never managed to find a trace pen for the CPUs

ShelGame
02-10-2013, 08:55 PM
Well, if you can't run a soldering iron, I'm not sure how you'd hook up the switch and wires anyway...

---------- Post added at 07:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 PM ----------

Right now, the DoubelPlay/FourPlay are $40/ea. Removing the switch+wires would drop the price $10, down to $30. I'd leave the ZIF option for those that want it...

black86glhs
02-11-2013, 12:37 AM
There are quite a few on here who like to play Dell, Intel, etc so I think it is a good idea.

Force Fed Mopar
02-11-2013, 12:41 AM
I wouldn't buy one without a ZIF...

moparman76_69
02-11-2013, 09:05 AM
Why not sell it for 30 and then have a "labor" option you can add into the cart for the extra amount to have you configure it for those that would rather not DIY it?

RoadWarrior222
02-11-2013, 09:20 AM
Well, if you can't run a soldering iron, I'm not sure how you'd hook up the switch and wires anyway...

Doh! spellotape? :D

---------- Post added at 08:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 AM ----------

Why not sell it for 30 and then have a "labor" option you can add into the cart for the extra amount to have you configure it for those that would rather not DIY it?That seems to make the most sense to me. Barebones and configured to spec options.

Kinda wish I was in the same county/area as you, would be great to make some mad money doing soldering/assembly donkey work.