PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering pump questions and body code SBA SBB

wallace
02-07-2013, 10:18 AM
Hey, the power steering pump went out in my dd, its a 87' Chrysler T&C. Like a friggin' idiot I bought a pump at Advance Auto because it was in stock and I didn't want to drive the extra 10 miles to NAPA. The pump lasted about 2,000 miles and came apart. I had to cut the belt off of it so I could drive it. manual steering with power steering rack SUCKS. Anyways, I called NAPA and the guy lists two pumps according to the body code that is supposed to be stamped on the radiator support on passnger side. He says the code should be SBA or SBB...I find shload of three digit codes but none of them are either of those. SBA is Standard and SBB is supposed to be Firm. This is the metal reservoir Saginaw unit. Can anyone tell me if there is a physical difference between the two? Is the Firm Feel a better pump? they have both in stock with reservoirs on them but no new units without a reservoir. Any insight here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

supercrackerbox
02-07-2013, 02:00 PM
I never knew there was a difference except between the Saginaw and the ZF pumps. Subscribed.

turbovanmanČ
02-07-2013, 03:51 PM
Ditto, didn't know either and even if they gave you the "wrong" Saginaw pump, it won't cause any problems.

wallace
02-07-2013, 04:10 PM
I'm GUESSING that the Firm Feel pump just has a lower relief valve pressure in it to give a little more effort and better "feedback". I'm pretty sure they are both physically the same. I'm going to get that one as I thought the effort on the original was a little light. If anyone knows I'd really like to know if the napa guy is right on the sba/sbb codes. I don't see them on the tag.

RoadWarrior222
02-07-2013, 04:15 PM
Possibly very slightly easier on gas too.... but given a plus or minus 1mpg variation, probably lost in the noise.

135sohc
02-07-2013, 06:18 PM
It would have been called out on the build sheet. My super base model shadow had SBB according to the build sheet if that means anything to how it was distributed.

cordes
02-07-2013, 08:33 PM
I found out about the "firm feel" stuff just recently, but I thought the difference was in the valving of the rack itself?

wallace
02-08-2013, 10:57 AM
I found out about the "firm feel" stuff just recently, but I thought the difference was in the valving of the rack itself?

When I go to get the pump I'll ask him if they list a rack for firm feel and standard. For sure there are two different pumps.

RoadWarrior222
02-08-2013, 11:08 AM
Rockauto is listing different racks for SBA and SBB.

---------- Post added at 10:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 AM ----------

From looking at that, it appears standard is 3 1/4 turns lock to lock, and firm is 2 1/2 turns lock to lock, so from that, you should be able to tell which rack you have in BUT, they are also listing differences for 14" and 15" wheels.

wallace
02-08-2013, 11:21 AM
hm, wonder what the result of the firm feel pump and standard rack would be? Pretty sure mine is not firm feel.

RoadWarrior222
02-08-2013, 11:54 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/79/Operation_Upshot-Knothole_-_Badger_001.jpg/250px-Operation_Upshot-Knothole_-_Badger_001.jpg

Just kidding...

Though what I'm thinking is there's actually less mechanical assistance to a 2.5 turn stiff rack, so there needs to be more hydraulic assistance, so the stiff feel pump should be stronger/higher pressure output... hmmm... could make a standard rack "too light" .. which would be opposite of what you'd think.... oh well, just have to put really fat tires on to compensate I guess :D

---------- Post added at 10:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 AM ----------

Could also mean that it finds the weak spots in all the seals and plumbing.. :(