PDA

View Full Version : TBI Header with ATP swingvalve

Punish'nRice
02-06-2013, 10:21 AM
Has anyone done the tbi header with the atp 3" v-band swing valve?

I have a GLH that I'm currently running the atp swingvalve on. I've been doing a lot of reading about the tbi header, and I want to run one on my next motor build. I found a thread with some pics and man everything looks tight, so tight that I don't think I'll be able to use my swing valve.

What are your thoughts and has anyone done this setup already?

Mahlon

contraption22
02-06-2013, 10:37 AM
Seems like it would be a good solution. From experience, trying to use an OE swingvalve on a tbi header results in some funky bends.

Punish'nRice
02-06-2013, 11:26 AM
Seems like it would be a good solution. From experience, trying to use an OE swingvalve on a tbi header results in some funky bends.
So you think I'd have enough room to run the swingvalve with a 3" down pipe?

contraption22
02-06-2013, 12:02 PM
I think so.

I did on mine. ATP sells a tight-fitting universal downpipe that might get you started.

john1320
02-06-2013, 01:12 PM
It's the turbo compressor side you need the firewall room for, the downpipe just needs the proper bends to get clear of the p.s., and into the tunnel. Or you could buy the atp unit and run from there..

Punish'nRice
02-06-2013, 01:28 PM
It's the turbo compressor side you need the firewall room for, the downpipe just needs the proper bends to get clear of the p.s., and into the tunnel. Or you could buy the atp unit and run from there..

I should of mentioned that I'm no longer running power steering and converted over to manual rack. That being said it shouldn't be too bad getting into the tunnel then right?

On the compressor side is the real problem?

contraption22
02-06-2013, 01:36 PM
Yes, the compressor-to-firewall clearance will be an issue, especially if you are using anything other than a T3 compressor housing.

Punish'nRice
02-06-2013, 02:10 PM
Yes, the compressor-to-firewall clearance will be an issue, especially if you are using anything other than a T3 compressor housing.

Well I'm using the Mopar Super 60 turbo. Will I have to alter the firewall?

contraption22
02-06-2013, 02:15 PM

I don't really know. Because the TBI headers are not always made exactly the same, there is no way to know, except to ask the person that made it and if they test fitted it. But a S60 turbo should fit anywhere a stock Garrett turbo fits.

Punish'nRice
02-06-2013, 02:18 PM
I don't really know. Because the TBI headers are not always made exactly the same, there is no way to know, except to ask the person that made it and if they test fitted it. But a S60 turbo should fit anywhere a stock Garrett turbo fits.

Ok. Thanks for all the help. :)

GLHNSLHT2
02-06-2013, 08:40 PM
why would you want to run a TBI header and then limit it with just a S60 turbo?

What does your S60 turbo spool at now with the ATP piece? 2.5 or 2.2 engine? Intake??

4 l-bodies
02-06-2013, 09:03 PM
Ditto what Mikey says. Of course this depends on where they cut the TBI manifold off at. My compressor cleared fine but I notched my firewall shield just a smidge for the wastegate actuator to clear. It has never hit the firewall or the shield.
Todd

Vigo
02-06-2013, 11:39 PM
One thing ive noticed with TBI headers too, from other people's pictures, is that the kind of rack that is on your car matters. Some of them have a line coming straight out the top on the passenger side, right where downpipe wants to be on most TBI headers. Some other kinds of racks dont seem to have that issue. Someone else probably knows more about that than i do.

Punish'nRice
02-08-2013, 06:12 PM
why would you want to run a TBI header and then limit it with just a S60 turbo?

What does your S60 turbo spool at now with the ATP piece? 2.5 or 2.2 engine? Intake??

Well the tbi header would be an upgrade and so would my S60 turbo, as I'm only running stock turbo with my atp swingvalve. As for spool I have no idea? It seems quick. :eyebrows: Motor will be 2.5 and intake is(or will be) ported & polished 2pc with 58mm throttle body. :)

Ditto what Mikey says. Of course this depends on where they cut the TBI manifold off at. My compressor cleared fine but I notched my firewall shield just a smidge for the wastegate actuator to clear. It has never hit the firewall or the shield.
Todd

I was going to try and make my own Tbi manifold.

One thing ive noticed with TBI headers too, from other people's pictures, is that the kind of rack that is on your car matters. Some of them have a line coming straight out the top on the passenger side, right where downpipe wants to be on most TBI headers. Some other kinds of racks dont seem to have that issue. Someone else probably knows more about that than i do.

I'm running a manual rack, so I probalby wont have any issues.

shadow88
02-08-2013, 06:29 PM
That's the nice thing about making your own manifold. You decide where the cut is made and the angle it's on. The more "collector" area you have, the better the transition into the turbine housing, however, cutting the collector area back improves the firewall clearance. You will have to test fit the header a few times to get it where you want it. Mine took 3 attempts and the rewards were totally worth it with even a stock garrett turbo.