PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a parts list

RIMoparGuy
02-05-2013, 10:17 AM
So since the head gasket blew, I'm sending the head out to be checked, and want to replace what I can while it is out. This is a Menegon ported head, I tried getting a hold of Steve but seems as though he has fallen off the face of the earth, but that shouldn't affect what parts I get for it, should it? Being an amateur DIY'er at best, could anyone recommend what to get? I'm gonna go through FWD performance.

I'm guessing at this point: guides, springs, seats, cam seals, valve cover and head gaskets. What else am I missing? Thanks!

contraption22
02-05-2013, 01:19 PM
Steve is still active on this board. Screen name is BadFastGTC.

turbovanmanČ
02-05-2013, 02:48 PM
Unless it has serious miles, I doubt it will need a complete rebuild, the most I could see it valve seals, and use Ford seals-

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?67408-Another-option-for-valve-seals.-O)

RIMoparGuy
02-05-2013, 04:12 PM
I don't think I can use those seals because it looks like they're for 16v and I have an 8V. I've been trying since I got the car to get an estimate as to the actual mileage, the odometer crapped out at 53,058. Haven't been able to find out anything at all. I wouldn't be against going easy on rebuild parts, restoration work on this car will be more than what I paid for it once I get the head gasket sorted. And I still have body work and a swing valve/down pipe to do. I'll PM Steve on here, I tried on TD but it showed he hadn't logged in since 2007.

turbovanmanČ
02-05-2013, 04:43 PM
Sorry, for some reason thought you had a TIII.

Yeah, Steve isn't active on TD anymore but is a vendor on here, so he's always here.

8 valves are simpler, much less go wrong so yeah, probably a valve grind, valve seals, maybe guides if they weren't updated with the clips, alot cheaper than a TIII, :nod:

GLHS60
02-06-2013, 03:37 AM
If it has the original SMEC/SBEC a DRB II can give you the mileage.

Thanks
Randy

I don't think I can use those seals because it looks like they're for 16v and I have an 8V. I've been trying since I got the car to get an estimate as to the actual mileage, the odometer crapped out at 53,058. Haven't been able to find out anything at all. I wouldn't be against going easy on rebuild parts, restoration work on this car will be more than what I paid for it once I get the head gasket sorted. And I still have body work and a swing valve/down pipe to do. I'll PM Steve on here, I tried on TD but it showed he hadn't logged in since 2007.

RIMoparGuy
02-06-2013, 11:37 AM
Is that the ECU under the hood?

Also, on an update note, it looks like this thing might be going back to Steve Menegon for a once over instead of a machine shop.

turbovanmanČ
02-06-2013, 01:43 PM
Is that the ECU under the hood?

Also, on an update note, it looks like this thing might be going back to Steve Menegon for a once over instead of a machine shop.

Yes, behind the battery. We call it a SMEC.

Nice, Steve will do what it needs, :thumb: