PDA

View Full Version : blowing clouds of blue

bakes
02-01-2013, 11:03 PM
ok this one has got me stumped !!! 10mins of driving at no boost (ok you know thats hard to believe but it is the truth) 2500rpm ALL of a sudden there is 911 of Thick Blue smoke rolling out of the tail pipe 3000 rpm ok 1500 rpm ok 2500 rpm not ok any boost no smoke . now this all started after i parked the for 3 weeks do to freezing temps (didn't want to drive it in the salt) . and i can induce it by pulling hard left hand Gs. . This motor was a full performance rebuild and has less than 7000 km on it . it was broken in on 14psi boost for 3000km and now live it life at 22psi for street and 25-27 track . the S60 center was not overhauled but was ans still tight no sings of coking at all but it did see some wicked high Egt's and survived 3 CAC pipe blow offs before i did the over haul

Things i have done
1. pulled the plugs and inspected normal
2 pulled the hoses on the intercooler and inspected for oil none
3. revamped the PCV system for better oil collection and better Crank case breathing/ventilation no effect but now i gained 2"vac at idle for total of 20"vac
4 removed the plugs again and put bore scope down the bores and inspected cylinders look good but there was oil in the piston dishes all 4
5 remove header dump plate of shoved my bore scope up to the turbine blades some oil but not that much (might be burning it off)

Things i still need to do
1 leak down test
2 remove my Fm 475 cam and swap in my roller s60 cam (this was going to happen before this ) and inspect my valve seals
3. see if i can get my bore scope down the TB and down the ports of my 2 piece intake and look at the valve stems for oil
4 see if can get the turbo out for a possible overhaul(need to try and do this last as i need this car bad right now)

turbovanmanČ
02-02-2013, 01:12 AM
If you see lots of oil in the cylinders then its either rings or guides. If it was the turbo, the outlet would be soaked, which you have confirmed is not.

bakes
02-02-2013, 02:01 AM
i wouldn't say it was alot of oil on the piston tops but but they were wet also not the motor was dead cold when i drove it into the shop and pulled the plugs i didn't have the Cal dialed in for cold cold start ( never intend to drive it the cold)and i just pours fuel in on start up 10-1afr

but what really bugs me is that i can induce it on a hard left g turn

shadow88
02-02-2013, 02:31 AM
You might want to recheck the oil return tube for kinks or gasket intrusion.

But I think the real problem has been isolated. Oil on the pistons. In the mean time, how about you use a known good cal for the cold weather?

bakes
02-02-2013, 03:01 AM
You might want to recheck the oil return tube for kinks or gasket intrusion.

But I think the real problem has been isolated. Oil on the pistons. In the mean time, how about you use a known good cal for the cold weather?

oil tube and gasket checked out ok
for the 20-30 sec it stays in flood rich mode i can live with that. jumps right up the 13-1 after that till operational temp

ajakeski
02-02-2013, 03:04 AM
Do your leakdown test. That'll pinpoint the issue.

bakes
02-02-2013, 03:08 AM
took the car for a long hard run ( 22psi in 4th and 5th) tonight no smoke egts averaged 1450 to 1500
wasnt till i got the vac above 23" that i got my 1st burp out the tail pipe
but the hole time i could smell it

85boostbox
02-02-2013, 10:04 AM
Valve seals???

bakes
02-02-2013, 12:14 PM
hhmmm just thought of a old problem i havent seen for a while on power brake cars to check the brake booster full of brake fluid i kind of dought it but will cause smoking on hard left hand turns

4 l-bodies
02-02-2013, 01:20 PM
hhmmm just thought of a old problem i havent seen for a while on power brake cars to check the brake booster full of brake fluid i kind of dought it but will cause smoking on hard left hand turns
Have you been refilling brake booster on a regular basis? You wouldn't have any brakes after a short time if booster was filling up with BF. Have seen plenty of MC leak into booster. Last one was on friends Ram truck.
Todd