PDA

View Full Version : What should I do

85boostbox
01-31-2013, 10:30 PM
Going to be tearing into the e3ngine of my GLHT. Has a hurt piston. I am stuck in a snafoo and I really should know better. But I am second guessing myself. Ok heres my problem. Should I just pull the one piston/rod and replace just that bearing and rings. Or should I re-ring/bearing the whole lower end while I am there. I am one of those firm believers that what isnt broke dont fix it. BTW I am doing this with the block staying in the car. I am not dropping the crank out of it. I feel there is no reason too. Car has no knocks/oil pressure problems just low compression on cylinder 3. What do you guys think I should do???

P.S. Car will be going over to T2 status with ported head and intake and exhaust and probably on 16-18PSI with supporting mods. So no high HP application just a fun daily with a little track duty and auto-x.

raccoon
02-01-2013, 12:53 AM
Id pull all 4 at least to measure, can you buy rings single? How much of a setback would it be to have to do this twice in a row?

trannybuster
02-01-2013, 01:28 AM
did it burn oil, was it noisy, hwo did it run to start with? just serviced an engine that had the rings stuck on the pistins, but the bottom was in such good shape and the bores checked fine that I cleaned the ring grooves, deglazed cylinders then put back together with the same bearings (rod), 6 months later not one issues and it doesnt burn a drop. you can measure everything you need to while its apart....I did rering only because of the ring issue. All the bores can be measured with head off and the single rod/piston pulled you can measure the crank/rod clearance......its condition normally will be indicative of how the rest are

RoadWarrior222
02-01-2013, 10:14 AM
Car has no knocks/oil pressure problems just low compression on cylinder 3. What do you guys think I should do??? Check for a bad valve before you go buying pistons :D

turbovanmanČ
02-01-2013, 04:04 PM
If it ran ok and didn't burn oil, just fix the one cylinder, if it was a bit tired, just fix the one cylinder and rering the rest, its not much more hassle to do with the head off and oil pan off.

contraption22
02-01-2013, 04:24 PM
I agree. Pull all 4. Peace of mind.

zin
02-01-2013, 05:35 PM
Time saved isn't worth not having the peace of mind that you've got 4 good cylinders sealed up... IMHO.

Mike

85boostbox
02-01-2013, 08:42 PM
I completely agree. It smokes once warmed up. It has low compression and you can hear it when it turns over. Skips a beat. Once started you cant tell though until it starts to smoke. I think it has a cracked ringland or a piston. Have to gget the head off to get the real extent of the damage. Also has real bad blow by. Like remove the oil cap or the dipstick and it smokes like a freight train out of it. I think Im just going to rebearing/rering it just for safe keeping. Mains should be perfect due to the fact that the thing has EXCELLENT oil pressure. Hopefully the damage is just limited to a piston.

zin
02-01-2013, 09:16 PM
If the oil pressure is good, both the mains and the rod bearings should be OK, sounds like a new set of rings and it'll be in fine shape, assuming nothing more sinister awaits when the head comes off, but based on how you describe it running, I doubt you have any meanies waiting in there.

Mike

85boostbox
02-01-2013, 11:22 PM
If it is the rings I would be jumping for joy.

Lotashelbys
02-01-2013, 11:31 PM
Im gonna guess its a broken ring-land also. I would pull all 4 if I were you as just yesterday I was pulling a broken piston out of a 2.5 that had low compression in that cyl only. Just to say I did,I pulled the other 3 and 2 more of them had cracks in the ring-lands. Not totally broken off like the low compression cyl but they were broke. Sure glad I looked at all 4 now that I know that. Spend the extra 20 minutes and pull the other 3......

85boostbox
02-01-2013, 11:34 PM
But I really have a feeling it is the piston as well.

85boostbox
02-01-2013, 11:37 PM
Im gonna guess its a broken ring-land also. I would pull all 4 if I were you as just yesterday I was pulling a broken piston out of a 2.5 that had low compression in that cyl only. Just to say I did,I pulled the other 3 and 2 more of them had cracks in the ring-lands. Not totally broken off like the low compression cyl but they were broke. Sure glad I looked at all 4 now that I know that. Spend the extra 20 minutes and pull the other 3......

Oh yea I have decided to pull all 3. Hopefully no other damage due to these pistons are hard to find.

85boostbox
02-02-2013, 08:07 PM
So ended up being cylinder 1. Pictures show the rest of the story. Bearings were PERFECT so I'm just going to do a re-ring/re-bearing.

85boostbox
02-02-2013, 08:08 PM

ajakeski
02-02-2013, 08:13 PM
Do it all. Why take it apart twice?

zin
02-02-2013, 08:14 PM
No bore scoring? ... that's great! New rings and it'll feel like a new engine!

Mike

turbovanmanČ
02-02-2013, 08:26 PM
Honestly, if the bearings look fine with no wear, reuse them. I do it all the time, saves money as bearings aren't a wear item unless you detonate alot or ran it out of oil.

85boostbox
02-02-2013, 08:31 PM
Honestly, if the bearings look fine with no wear, reuse them. I do it all the time, saves money as bearings aren't a wear item unless you detonate alot or ran it out of oil.

I would do that but it is just a piece of mind with me. And no bore scoring. Still has cross thatching.

turbovanmanČ
02-02-2013, 08:46 PM
I would do that but it is just a piece of mind with me. And no bore scoring. Still has cross thatching.

Yeah, some can't reuse them, lol, I have no issues doing that, :thumb:

85boostbox
02-02-2013, 09:02 PM
I would reuse them if it was going to a stock build... but it is going to t2 status with probably around 18 PSI. Give or take some change. And there were the original 85 bearings. Still date stamped 2/85 lmao

85boostbox
02-02-2013, 09:03 PM
My plans are to push right around 250 WHP. Just a solid 13 second daily.

turbovanmanČ
02-02-2013, 09:16 PM
I'd still use them, hahaha, :eyebrows:

85boostbox
02-02-2013, 09:31 PM
LOL I am sure you would.

Lotashelbys
02-03-2013, 01:15 AM
I'd still use them, hahaha, :eyebrows:
I know you would but for 5 bucks a box for rod bearings I would like mine to be new and say Clevite on them lol. A quick polish with 400 grit and re-toque and you will be race ready.....

85boostbox
02-03-2013, 01:18 AM
Exactly my point LOL. ROCKAUTO FTW

turbovanmanČ
02-03-2013, 04:07 AM
I know you would but for 5 bucks a box for rod bearings I would like mine to be new and say Clevite on them lol. A quick polish with 400 grit and re-toque and you will be race ready.....

I wish, up here, $50 a kit for 2.2, SRT bearings are more. Nothing wrong with reusing bearings, done it for years, never had an issue, :p

Lotashelbys
02-03-2013, 11:00 AM
Exactly my point LOL. ROCKAUTO FTW
O yea! They were 3 bucks a box on there the other day. I only bought 12 boxes lol

I wish, up here, $50 a kit for 2.2, SRT bearings are more. Nothing wrong with reusing bearings, done it for years, never had an issue, :p

$50 thats gay! How much are mains? Back in my 8valve days I had boxes of good used Mopar rod bearings lol. One swipe of 3M grey Scochbrite and some plasti-gauge and you were ready to run again lol. Now a days my TIIIs get a little better treatment

trannybuster
02-04-2013, 06:53 PM

Agreed....let them throw away their money, besides the more they buy itll keep the prices down due to demand! I have NEVER lost a bottom end and Ive reused many bearings...maybe Simon and I are the only ones that can read Micrometers...???....or use plastigage...???....honestly Its not that hard to make some measurements to determine if it actually needs replacing..oh look, peace of mind done with logic and less money..wow.

85boostbox
02-04-2013, 07:10 PM
I think spending 10 bucks on a set of bearings through rockauto is a safe piece of mind. And not really spending that much money. I am decently cheap but not that cheap. And why not since I am there. Oh and BTW everything mic's out good :thumb:. If it didnt then I would be tearing the engine completely out and have a COMPLETE rebuild.

trannybuster
02-04-2013, 07:44 PM
^^Good, your measuring everything up, no guess work! One reason so many ppl have/had problems....the other thing is cleanliness while assembling! Let us know how it goes..

85boostbox
02-04-2013, 07:54 PM
Oh yes. I know clean assembly is key. And I have A LOT of cleaning I need to do.

turbovanmanČ
02-04-2013, 08:22 PM
O yea! They were 3 bucks a box on there the other day. I only bought 12 boxes lol

$50 thats gay! How much are mains? Back in my 8valve days I had boxes of good used Mopar rod bearings lol. One swipe of 3M grey Scochbrite and some plasti-gauge and you were ready to run again lol. Now a days my TIIIs get a little better treatment

$3, sigh. I do tend to surf Ebay and get them for a rainy day but haven't seen any good deals recently. Mains, you don't want to know, over $100 a set.

Your so mean, poor 8 valve got used bearings, :( :lol: