PDA

View Full Version : Shakes and shimmies...and I'm not dancing

87glhs232
01-05-2006, 03:07 AM
Alright, first off I have no idea what clutch is in my car. Whatever it came with when I bought it (I know, I know...no help). I did'nt replace it when I changed the engine 2000 miles ago 'cause everything looked good, real good.
Tonight I back out of my driveway, and it shakes. Like the clutch is grabby. I can moderate it by slipping it more than I would normally. Hmmm. I think...thats odd. So down the street I go. Come to the light and down shift. Same shake/shimmy. I can eliminate it by matching engine RPM to tranny and letting the clutch out.
The pedal action and feel is the same as it ever has been, which is the same as other Chargers I've driven. It still grabs hard, and does'nt slip at all when under full boost acceleration.
What should I look for? My first thought was clutch, but then I think maybe bobble strut or another mount? Thoughts? Thanks!

turbovanmanČ
01-05-2006, 04:40 AM
Check all your mounts, if you don't have PB or MP mounts, get them. Also check the bracket at the front of the engine, they break and this will let the motor jump around, and give you the grabby clutch action.

87glhs232
01-05-2006, 12:27 PM
Check all your mounts, if you don't have PB or MP mounts, get them. Also check the bracket at the front of the engine, they break and this will let the motor jump around, and give you the grabby clutch action.
I'll get under it today. That front mount already broke on mine, so I welded and gusseted (ededed :p ) it. I'll be pissed if it broke. I have a PB mount in that one.

TrrboJeep
01-05-2006, 01:07 PM
Possibly 1 or more broken damper springs on clutch disc?

87glhs232
01-05-2006, 01:33 PM
Motor mounts look good and are tight. I jacked up the tranny slightly under the diff...next to the bobble strut. The bobble flexs about 1/4" maybe 5/16" before it starts taking real weight from the car. The rubber looks ok, not the best but not destroyed either.
Damn. I hope I did'nt kill the clutch.

TrrboJeep
01-05-2006, 01:46 PM
I had similar simptoms on a 90 Shadow I had... thats why I mentioned the damper springs in the clutch. Good news is I drove it thousands of miles that way. :nod:

87glhs232
01-05-2006, 01:53 PM
I had similar simptoms on a 90 Shadow I had... thats why I mentioned the damper springs in the clutch. Good news is I drove it thousands of miles that way. :nod:

Well...I average 2000 per year....sooo....

Well, guess I'll drive it only if I have to, and nice at that. In a few months the car gets torn apart for a restore.

While were talking clutch...recommendations for a killer clutch for street use, behind a 20+psi (upto 28psi maybe) motor? Oh yeah...tranny will be a 568.

86Shelby
01-11-2006, 12:48 AM
4 puck ceramic disk with a TIII pressure plate. It's grabby but will take a lot of power and abuse. I've got one in my R/T and really like it.

87glhs232
01-11-2006, 02:43 AM
That was one thing I'm considering. I was also looking at a spec clutch www.specclutch.com (http://www.specclutch.com/). Opinions?