PDA

View Full Version : Wanting opinions

Reaper1
01-30-2013, 10:55 PM
So, as some of you may know I have owned Rick Lozier's 12 second '91 Daytona for a while now. Unfortunately I never really got the chance to bring it back to life. I bought the car as a non-runner because of a fuel leak due to the ignorance of the shop that was doing the work for him. I honestly thought I was going to be able to have the car driving for a few hundred bucks. It never happened and it's been sitting in one yard or another since then.

I still like the car, and still have interest in it, but reality is starting to finally set in that it might possibly be in my best interests to let it go.

To get an idea of the car when I first got it, go here (you may have to log in to see the pictures and some of the pictures no longer work): http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f11/f69/114888-resurrection-beast.html

The good:
-The chassis is very low miles and dead nuts straight. Last I knew it was absolutely rust free. It's showing roughly either 51 or 61,000miles on the odometer.
-It has Koni's all the way around on it
-The springs up front are trimmed Eibach's. The rears at one time were Suspension Techniques, but I can't remember right now what they are currently
-It does roll, and the brakes do work (probably need a flush REALLY bad) I had repacked the rear bearing when I first got it. (it is an original 15" disc/drum car, but it had the HD drums in the back, so they are the larger 220mm ones)
-I installed a brand new 255 pump in the tank, and the tank was cleaned out and has been bone dry since then. There is a supplemental MSD pump on the car too that was used when the N2O was being used.
-It has aluminum Kirkey racing seats in it. The driver's one needs to have the thigh support on the left repaired
-It has an AutoPower bolt in roll bar in it.
-The interior is/was pretty darn clean (gray)
-The paint isn't horrible...it needs to be buffed really well and the area around the NACA duct in the hood needs to be re-worked. It is currently all black
-It does have racing harnesses in it, but they will only be good for show as they are out of date.
-The stereo speakers were left in the car by Rick. They are Boston Acustics in the front and rear from what I remember being told. They were a very high end line from them when he built the car as it originally had a HUGE stereo in it. The fronts are components set in custom door panels. I don't know what the rears are, but I remember him saying MANY years ago that just because the factory used an oval speaker doesn't mean it produces the best sound. My guess is that there are adapter plates and round speakers back there. I never looked. The tweaters for the components are aimed at the windshield, which makes perfect sense actually. I removed the Apline head unit and signal processor when I first got the car. Unfortunately both got stolen when I had a bunch of other stuff disappear as well. :( These speakers would HAVE to be run by amps. All the power supply and electrical stuff to run the amps was removed long ago by me. I was going to take the stereo out. There are NO subs.
-For being an ES, it is a lower end ES car. It has manual windows and for some reason I'm remembering it wasn't optioned with fog lights (although it has some "vintage" PIAA's on it, but I think they may be toast by now)
-It does have a strut tower brace

The mechanicals:
-The engine is a fresh rebuild...supposedly around only 500 miles on it all under 3000rpm due to tuning.
-The block is a true Mitsu 3.0 out of a Diamante if memory serves.
-It is supposed to have the RPW 3.2 stroker crank kit in it and forged pistons. Remember, this car was set-up for N2O, so compression is higher than what most would use for turbo...I think it's 10:1, but I'm not 100% on that. (unfortunately I've never heard it run. :( )
-The cams are custom grinds and the specs can be found pretty easily. I know Brent has them and I've posted them twice I think, along with the cam card.
-It has the RPW adjustable timing gears on it.
-The heads were ported by Tachyon Racing in Jacksonville, Fl IIRC. I do not have any numbers on them.
-No A/C
-The headers are still on the car. They are a VERY unique design, but use standard gaskets. They are Jet-Hot coated silver, but I think they may be due to be recoated. I never tried to clean them, so it very well could just be dirt.
-The transmission is a performance rebuild of the A604.
-The axles are heavy duty aftermarket pieces.
-The engine management system is a Haltech EK6 stand alone mounted on the trans tunnel in the car. I do not have the software, cables, or the instructions for it. Supposedly the tune in it right now will run the engine well up to 3000. After that basically I was told it is a clean slate.
-The direct port system is still on the car. It has the solenoids for fuel, N2O, and purge. The system was supposedly tuned for a 175 shot. The feed lines and inline N2O filter are still in the car and it has 2 cradles for 10# bottles. I sold one bottle and the other got stolen. It is my belief that blow-down tubes need to be installed as I don't think I recall seeing any
-There is an aftermarket FPR on it as well. I have pictures of how it was set-up for reference.
-It's Got an MSD ignition box and Magnecor wires
-It also has a Jacobs Electronics Nitrous System controller in it. (I don't think these are made anymore, but IMHO was the best out there)
-The oil filter is remote mounted

The "eh":
-It no longer has a full set of matching wheels. The 17" 5-spokes were sold many years ago. It currently has 3 "vintage" 16x8 (I *think*) ADR wheels on it and 1 polished 16" Ninja. The ADR wheels require a special lug nut tool (which I have) as well as a special "cap tool", which I also have. Of course the tires are SHOT.
-The whole car is filthy from just sitting.
-As mentioned earlier the hood needs to be reworked around the NACA duct.
-I think it bottomed out on the front air dam, too, as it shows signs of wear, but it's not cracked that I remember.
-Because it used to have a huge stereo in it, the whole rear of the car is covered in Dynamat. That stuff is HEAVY, and I would remove it if the car were to become a race car.
-The engine hasn't been turned over since just before I bought it. They tried to drive it up onto the truck, but like I said, it had a fuel leak, so that was no-go. I have never attempted to run it, and I've never even turned it over.
-If you want to use harnesses you will need to replace the ones in the car. They are out of date for current safety rules.
-The engine used to be so clean you could eat off it. There was a lot of raw aluminum that was polished. With it sitting, of course its oxidized. It certainly can be brought back, but it needs to have a polishing wheel taken to it for sure.
-I was told it had a 60mm T-body on it, but that is NOT true. It's probably a 52mm, though there is a SMALL chance it could be a 58, but there is no outside work done to the intake manifold to support that it because if they put a 58 on there, and wanted to port match it, that requires modification to the manifold to add meat to it so the hole can be made large enough.
-It has a narrow band O2 gauge in a single pillar pod, but it was never hooked up. It has 3 other gauges in the center stack. I know one is oil pressure for sure, I can't remember the other two, I do know I had the intent of getting N2O pressure gauges to add to the car...I never did.

The car has a good title, but for obvious reasons will NEVER pass SMOG, so to those that applies to, this would be purely a race car, or a starting point for something else.

So, after all of that, this is where I am. If I were to post it for sale I'd be asking $1500. Considering the parts on the car, and the overall very good condition of the chassis I think that's fair.

So, what do you all think? #1, should I sell it? #2, would my asking price be in the ballpark. #3, if I DO decide to sell it, is there ANYONE in the community that would buy it? I kinda want to keep it "in the family" so to speak simply because of the car's history. I know that should I sell it, I have no say in what happens to it, but I'd like it to go to a home where the person would bring the car back to life. I've never been a fan of N2O, but I was going to run it in this car just to see what it was like and because it was built around that power adder. Afterwards I was going to swap it over to turbo. I've toyed with the idea of a 5-speed swap, but I honestly don't think it would really do much for this car besides add another component that can break and is hard to find parts for. I was going to keep the 604 in it and use a stand-alone controller for it as well as add an LSD.

I believe with the right tuning, some weight reduction of crap that isn't needed in the car, slicks, and a properly working N2O system this car could EASILY be in the LOW 11's, if not knocking on the 10's depending on whether the output of the engine is what it was claimed to be (around 400hp on spray, around 225 NA....that was the older 3.0, NOT the 3.2 that's in it now).

Anyway...what do you all think?

turbovanmanČ
01-30-2013, 11:04 PM
Wow, hope you can type, lol.

All you asked is should you sell it, so the answer is yes if you don't want to fix it up. $1500 is very reasonable considering the motor alone is easily worth that.

Where is it? Florida or Everett?

Irocelectric93
01-30-2013, 11:32 PM
My opinion is that you should hang on to it...that being said i understand what you mean and no IMO your asking price is not crazy by any means. Anyone who knows what the car is and whats in it should know what its worth. It's a nostalgic piece esp to guys who have been around the 3.0 for a while. It's a super cool car and if you were closer id maybe consider it.

shayne
01-30-2013, 11:38 PM
hmmm n/a beast to match the turbo beast.... or high compression turbo motor, then bigger turbo for current car....
i recall you wanting a awd caravan for some reason, maybe find a 2nd gen mini awd with a worn out 3.3 of 3.8 and swap in the stroker and trans (after adapting the awd diff to it. the headers likely wouldnt fit though. at least then you got the motor and trans in something the family can enjoy and is going to be freak pnw storm proof to a point.

Irocelectric93
01-31-2013, 12:32 AM
I should have bought a bigger turbo for my car from the git go. Oh well. I thought about getting an AWD from a mini van for a while. Kinda threw that idea away at least for now. I have too much to do to my car and i haven't been doing anything with it as of late. I've been too distracted by life and stuff. Meh It happens.

Reaper1
01-31-2013, 12:33 AM
LOL...yeah I was contemplating an AWD van for a 'round town car/hauler/long trip vehicle. I keep toying with turboing that, but for my needs I'd aim more for economy than more power.

If I keep the car it will go into storage for even more time. Heck...it might be considered a semi-survivor by the time it would roll out of the shop!

At least I know for fact I'm keepin my 90 and it will most likely run before the black car.

raccoon
01-31-2013, 12:42 AM
why would you sell it? If youve lost interest id buy another one. :thumb:

redirect the typing energy into wrenching! it;ll be up in no time.

Reaper1
01-31-2013, 01:05 AM
Well...the issue is that both the 90 and the black car are on the other side of the country! :(

I haven't lost interest, but when life keeps throwing you curveballs, and you have superfluous things that are't really "needed"...sometimes these tough decisions have to be made. I'm by no means committing to selling it yet..just looking for opinions on the matter. So far...you all ROCK! :thumb: Thanks!!!

Right now my Masi project in my '88 is taking up all of my energy and resources to try and get it going. I am going to work on that tomorrow. I have to finish some of the smaller projects I started so I can feel like I'm getting stuff accomplished, so I can go and tackle the larger stuff next.

turbovanmanČ
01-31-2013, 03:50 AM
Get your Masi done and the Daytona finished, then figure out what to do.

RoadWarrior222
01-31-2013, 10:27 AM
Sell the audio crap and put the cash into getting it moving.

Reaper1
01-31-2013, 11:16 AM
The car is in Florida. (Simon asked and I didn't answer...sorry)

The only audio stuff in the car anymore are the mids and highs in the stock locations. They *were* top of the line when they came out, but I think they are from the late 90's, so they are probably out of date and I don't know their condition. Everything else either got stolen or used in other projects over time.

Sundance 6g72
01-31-2013, 01:16 PM
is that price for real? Because i will buy it.

I think my money could be used else where though, and you should keep it. if the block is really built like that, and heads are fancy.. its good to make power and be somewhat reliable.

sell the audio stuff, EMS and install a megasquirt II for cheep. BAM

finding a gas leak should not be hard.. just run the pump and see where it comes out.

Reaper1
01-31-2013, 08:36 PM
is that price for real? Because i will buy it.

I think my money could be used else where though, and you should keep it. if the block is really built like that, and heads are fancy.. its good to make power and be somewhat reliable.

sell the audio stuff, EMS and install a megasquirt II for cheep. BAM

finding a gas leak should not be hard.. just run the pump and see where it comes out.

I PM'd you.

It supposedly made around 400hp with the old engine. I have no proof, honestly, and the only record of how fast it was supposed to be was on Gary Donovan's site. I don't know if it is still listed there. I do know the direct port system was supposedly jetted to a 175 shot.

I found the fuel leak the day I got it to my house! The shop that did some of the later work has installed -6 AN line and used regular hose clamps to hold it onto the stock 5/16" supply line! :O I was like, WTF!?

I forgot to mention that the fuel pump module has been modified so that 3/8" line comes straight out of the tank and it has an industrial 37* male fitting on it. The return was also done in the same manner, and both fully replace what was in the module. Details can be found in the linked thread.

If I were to keep the car, yes, the EMS would come out and MS would replace it for sure.

Sundance 6g72
01-31-2013, 09:35 PM
I got back to you

I really think you should keep the car. The motor its self is built more than any of us will ever have. E85 and a little boost will make awesome power im sure :)

RoadWarrior222
01-31-2013, 10:37 PM
Yah, but if he just leaves it sit, it "could be" faster than anyone, whereas if he gets it running and it only runs 14s, we'll all call him a moron... :D

Reaper1
01-31-2013, 11:47 PM
Yah, but if he just leaves it sit, it "could be" faster than anyone, whereas if he gets it running and it only runs 14s, we'll all call him a moron... :D

While part of this statement is correct, that if it just sits it can still be claimed to be fast (Brent went faster), that is certainly NOT my goal! I want to see what she's got more than anyone! If it's slow...I will make it faster. No biggie to me...I still love the car!

If it runs 14's, read my statement above.

Sundance 6g72
02-01-2013, 12:14 AM
the problem is that your asking price (if you sell, or what you think you will sell it for) is way low in my opinion but honestly, who has the money to buy it for what it should go for? Not many people

shayne
02-01-2013, 12:20 AM
the only folks who put any value on these cars is people in this community. sadly the general public doesnt care about a shelby charger, or t3 iroc r/t, etc. for the price i'd take it for the motor alone. and likely junk the rest, or use the shell for a dedicated rally car build and swap in a.... blah blah blah.

Reaper1
02-01-2013, 08:32 PM
the only folks who put any value on these cars is people in this community. sadly the general public doesnt care about a shelby charger, or t3 iroc r/t, etc. .

This is exactly right, and the same reason I was able to afford it when I bought it.

I'm still not committed to selling it, but I feel the car is worth about $3500 or so just in parts, but who is going to pay that for a non-running car that needs TLC to even run? Only fanatics like the few of us.

I thank you all for your input (and anyone else that might post up). I'm going to stew on it for a bit and I'll post what I decide to do with it in this thread. I'll also keep reading feedback as/if it comes in.

Irocelectric93
02-01-2013, 09:57 PM
I remember when i first got my 3.0 daytona back in like...03-04 or a little later and i was stumbling around the net and found Ricks car. I was floored by it. Still am to be honest. I hope you keep the car Chris. I remember when you bought this car and i was pumped for you and glad you saved it. Hopefully if you do end up selling it...it goes to someone who actually will keep it and appreciate it.

Force Fed Mopar
02-01-2013, 10:12 PM
Trade you for a running 3.0 5-spd project :D If it was me, I'd keep it and finish fixing it and making it run.

shayne
02-01-2013, 10:44 PM
i really think that this ^ and others that said as much is probably the right answer. bring it to the pnw and get it running, you have a fellow 3l nut working for the same employer so, you have a great resource for help/ inspiration right there. plus then you can get it running and convince brent to come along with his car and both of you bring your cars to b.c for some fun. i like to see your cars in person, and i think you may like to see mine too i guess.

Reaper1
02-02-2013, 05:15 PM
Most definitely want to hang out more with fellow TM'rs!! Whether we all have cars there or not!

The more I keep thinking about it, the more I do want to keep it. Man, this is a hard decision!!

Force Fed Mopar
02-02-2013, 05:44 PM
If I get it, I'll have it running in a month. Then how silly will you feel? :p

Reaper1
02-02-2013, 06:25 PM
If I get it, I'll have it running in a month. Then how silly will you feel? :p

Running, I can easily agree with that. Driving...I think there is more to do than a month can hold. Seriously...this car has sat since 2004 in my yard. Before then it sat something like 4-5 years in Rick's yard! It needs a LOT of work before I'd trust it enough to make a trip to the grocery store, much less a pass down the strip at over 100mph!

Force Fed Mopar
02-02-2013, 09:46 PM
Running, I can easily agree with that. Driving...I think there is more to do than a month can hold. Seriously...this car has sat since 2004 in my yard. Before then it sat something like 4-5 years in Rick's yard! It needs a LOT of work before I'd trust it enough to make a trip to the grocery store, much less a pass down the strip at over 100mph!

Apparently you do not know me :eyebrows:

RoadWarrior222
02-02-2013, 11:37 PM
Well that jinxed it :D

It's real variable with me, some days it takes 30 minutes to install a trans, some days it takes 12 hours to remove a rad fan :-/

black86glhs
02-03-2013, 04:49 AM
I'll let you drop it off at my house so you don't have this great weight on your shoulders. I'm here to you you out, buddy!!!!:D

Reaper1
02-03-2013, 06:27 AM
Apparently you do not know me :eyebrows:

No, not that well anyway. Man, if I had the money back in the day, it would have been driving around in no time!! I had the time to work on it!!

Well that jinxed it :D

It's real variable with me, some days it takes 30 minutes to install a trans, some days it takes 12 hours to remove a rad fan :-/

That's called the beer to work ratio! You need to balance the equation more to the work side! ;) :thumb:

I'll let you drop it off at my house so you don't have this great weight on your shoulders. I'm here to you you out, buddy!!!!:D

Thanks...but unless I can teleport it, then that's very unlikely! LOL ;)

Ondonti
02-03-2013, 09:16 AM
I have some extra harnesses in storage that you could easily take one, buy a cheap ms2, build a harness and small fuse panel with one of my 3.0 harnesses. Next time you make a trip down there, wire up power and ground and have your MS2 already loaded up with a basic tune and the car should be drivable. That would increase the value and you can ditch that haltech. The super super ease might also make it more interesting to keep. I don't know if you saw my "first start" video of MS. I basically sat the MSII on the intake manifold, connected some wires, started engine. MSII can also trigger your nitrous, pull timing on spray, change fueling on spray, something that would really change the functionality of that whole setup.

I know you have to be doing a lot of sitting around these days so soldering together a kit would also be easy to justify financially. I have cars you can test your setup on intake manifold style. Don't be prudish and just put some rubber hose on the fuel lines for now. I'll buy it for you if I have to :P
I have tried to avoid getting in over my head on pickiness with projects but your educational background makes that very hard for you to make reasonable hobby goals. Engineers can't even get into how well they want their car to perform because there is an angle on a part that has to be dealt with first.

RoadWarrior222
02-03-2013, 10:10 AM
^^^^ Tru dat, perfectionism is a time vampire. I used to get more hung up on that, now I'm more git'r'done and 95% is good enough, (Where having it to FSM spec would be 90% and the last 10% the improvements)

Force Fed Mopar
02-03-2013, 12:28 PM
That's what I'm saying, I'll run a new line from the tank in about 20 minutes, check the brakes out, fire it up and I'm driving :D

bakes
02-03-2013, 02:07 PM
I have some extra harnesses in storage that you could easily take one, buy a cheap ms2, build a harness and small fuse panel with one of my 3.0 harnesses. Next time you make a trip down there, wire up power and ground and have your MS2 already loaded up with a basic tune and the car should be drivable. That would increase the value and you can ditch that haltech. The super super ease might also make it more interesting to keep. I don't know if you saw my "first start" video of MS. I basically sat the MSII on the intake manifold, connected some wires, started engine. MSII can also trigger your nitrous, pull timing on spray, change fueling on spray, something that would really change the functionality of that whole setup.

I know you have to be doing a lot of sitting around these days so soldering together a kit would also be easy to justify financially. I have cars you can test your setup on intake manifold style. Don't be prudish and just put some rubber hose on the fuel lines for now. I'll buy it for you if I have to :P
I have tried to avoid getting in over my head on pickiness with projects but your educational background makes that very hard for you to make reasonable hobby goals. Engineers can't even get into how well they want their car to perform because there is an angle on a part that has to be dealt with first.

+1 to that
ps i will be rolling coal through your area in the next couple weeks on my way to a dog show in portland mabey hook up for some dinner some were you 2

Reaper1
02-03-2013, 09:26 PM

Sounds like a plan. I'd love to get it running! Then I could finally drive it! Now...where to find an MS2 set-up for the Mistu 3.0 SOHC!

BTW, you hit the nail on the head about not finishing up stuff due to one stupid thing that hardly anybody on the planet would notice!

^^^^ Tru dat, perfectionism is a time vampire. I used to get more hung up on that, now I'm more git'r'done and 95% is good enough, (Where having it to FSM spec would be 90% and the last 10% the improvements)

I'm very OCD when it comes to things, so for me, unless it's 100%, it's 0% for the most part.

That's what I'm saying, I'll run a new line from the tank in about 20 minutes, check the brakes out, fire it up and I'm driving :D

I actually have a full 3/8 aluminum fuel line bent up for the car from front to the tank. I just never got it in the car because I didn't want to section it to get it in, so that means pulling the engine.

+1 to that
ps i will be rolling coal through your area in the next couple weeks on my way to a dog show in portland mabey hook up for some dinner some were you 2

I'm down! Let me know when and we can figure out the rest. Email me: grimmreaper90@gmail.com I'm REALLY wanting to hook up with some more TM people again!

Sundance 6g72
02-03-2013, 10:50 PM
the MS is the easy part.

you need something with two or more injector drivers and only one ignition driver. You can email DIY autotune and ask if you need anything specific. When i bought mine, i just told them what it is going to be used on and that i want them to set it up for that. I only got charged like $20 for them to have it set up, i cant emagine it was much that they had to do.

Reaper1
02-04-2013, 12:24 AM
I just found that MS has Chrysler 3.0 specific kits! Still either $400-600 depending on what you get, but it supposed to be just put it together and go!

Sundance 6g72
02-04-2013, 12:37 AM
careful with the kit, alot of the stuff you dont need.. unless you want it all.

Force Fed Mopar
02-04-2013, 01:39 AM
I'm quite sure that car can use it all :thumb:

Sundance 6g72
02-04-2013, 01:47 AM
last i checked it included ls wasted spark ignition and stuff

Reaper1
02-04-2013, 10:28 PM
I'm sure it can probably use most everything. COP or CNP ignition would be sweet, but for now...get it running would be the goal. Going fast is a long way down the road simply because the engine isn't even broken in and the whole car needs to be shaken down before it really is pushed..at leat IMHO, just to make sure it is safe. Remember, it's been sitting a LONG time!

shayne
02-05-2013, 12:17 AM
spend a week visiting family &friends/prepping the car, then fresh tires, an alignment, shake down run/ring seating, around the town, then have at it, break downs only add to the fun. florida to washington would be an awesome road trip.

turbovanmanČ
02-05-2013, 12:23 AM
I'm down! Let me know when and we can figure out the rest. Email me: grimmreaper90@gmail.com I'm REALLY wanting to hook up with some more TM people again!

You can always head down here to the Lower Mainland headquarters, :nod:

shayne
02-05-2013, 12:37 AM
^aka simons fortress of all things car. (shop)

Reaper1
02-05-2013, 03:33 AM
I'd love to visit Simon's shop. 2 things going against me: #1 I don't have a passport or one of those special driver's licenses. #2 I'm on my motorcycle and it get cold, rainy, and possibly snowy going up his way from what I understand....Not a good idea on a motorcycle. :( I'm sure during the summer it's absolutely gorgeous!

turbovanmanČ
02-05-2013, 04:41 AM
^aka simons fortress of all things car. (shop)

Yup yup.

I'd love to visit Simon's shop. 2 things going against me: #1 I don't have a passport or one of those special driver's licenses. #2 I'm on my motorcycle and it get cold, rainy, and possibly snowy going up his way from what I understand....Not a good idea on a motorcycle. :( I'm sure during the summer it's absolutely gorgeous!

Get one and we'll see you in the summer, would love to race at PR as well, :thumb:

Reaper1
02-05-2013, 09:48 PM
I will for sure! The road is calling! ;)

RoadWarrior222
02-06-2013, 09:15 AM
The roads are calling here too, they're saying "Owwww, ouch, aaaarrrgh, fix meeee, I'm cracking uuuuup", makes me wonder if there's more of this going on in my city... http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/toronto/hamilton-ont-fires-29-city-workers-over-inappropriate-behaviour-accusations/article7907092/

Ondonti
02-06-2013, 10:57 AM
Well if that happens text me.

Reaper1
02-07-2013, 10:39 PM
Will do! Nothing yet. :(

Ondonti
02-20-2013, 11:57 AM
well if that happens text me.

will do! Nothing yet. :(
nerds!

Reaper1
02-21-2013, 12:22 AM
I still haven't heard anything, so I'm still waiting, too!

Spiritman
02-21-2013, 12:41 AM
let me know. ill drag the acclaim down for the weekend and we can tear up the strip! :) to bad brents duster isnt going. i think next time it should be in the 10's for sure :)

---------- Post added at 11:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:40 PM ----------

or a ride in a 12 second nitrous daytona !

Ondonti
02-21-2013, 10:39 AM
Bring your car and your 2psi boost and lets see! Chris would have to race his moped at this point! ;) Good news is that Chris still has a job as of the union vote at work.

Reaper1
02-22-2013, 09:42 PM
I'm focusing on my Masi project right now. It is the most immediate and most important. I'm hoping that by sometime this summer it will be running with the Masi engine. I mocked it up with my spare head and my intake last night to do fitment check of the radiator. Right now I don't know if I'm going to leave the radiator in the stock position, or if I'm going to tilt the top of it forward into the nose to gain more clearance between the intake and the fan. The Masi is a TIGHT fit in the front. The thing I'm struggling with is if I do decide to tilt the radiator, then I have to cut the vertical support for the upper radiator support and the hood latch. Since the hood latch is a safety item, and I'm not drilling holes in my stock hood for pins, I need to make sure it is still functional and strong enough to do it's job, especially since right at the front of the hood I believe is a low pressure area and it wants to lift the hood up anyway. I'm actually going to do some testing once I get the car running to determine this because my other reason for wanting more clearance is so I can duct the radiator exhaust air out the top of the hood. If I find this is possible in the area that I think it is, then I will embark on making my own hood. If not, then I'll just get one of the composite hoods that is available for Daytona's and leave it at that.

Ondonti
02-24-2013, 08:54 AM
You did this fitment test with the thick bushings on the radiator? I don't use those on my Duster in order to get more space.

Reaper1
02-24-2013, 05:09 PM
If I'm not mistaken your radiator is mounted on the sides. Mine is top mounted and sits basically as flush with the core support as possible in a stock configuration. I'm going to modify things and see if I can't tuck it in there a bit more, but I'm REALLY considering tilting the thing. It just makes so much more sense.

Force Fed Mopar
02-24-2013, 06:35 PM
If I'm not mistaken your radiator is mounted on the sides. Mine is top mounted and sits basically as flush with the core support as possible in a stock configuration. I'm going to modify things and see if I can't tuck it in there a bit more, but I'm REALLY considering tilting the thing. It just makes so much more sense.

Neon radiator will fit pretty much where the condenser fits IIRC, if you don't want to keep the AC. If you do, you might be able to use the Neon condenser also.

Reaper1
02-24-2013, 10:27 PM
I'll have to look into the Neon condenser, because yes, as much as it sounds stupid, I want to keep the A/C in this car because if I do drive it to events and such, it's certainly nice to have. On top of that, my condenser looks pretty crappy, but I've got to clean it up and inspect it before I decide to recycle it.

As for the Neon radiator, I don't think it is capable of handling 600+hp for over 20 minutes (I'm not drag racing, remember). Heck, I don't know that the TU aluminum one I have can do it! The thing is, I have it already, and radiators for larger applications that supposedly can do what I want are the same price. I'd rather go with what I've got first so I can get the car running, then if it needs changing later, do it then. After all, it's not going to be making 600hp+ out of the box! LOL

Reaper1
02-24-2013, 11:31 PM
OK, this thread has gotten pretty far off track from where it was.

So, in order to keep the current discussion going and to not clutter this thread up any more, please go here: http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?61091-My-Masi-engine-build&p=981383&highlight=Masi+project#post981383 as this is really what we are currently talking about. Thanks! :thumb:

Force Fed Mopar
04-02-2013, 11:24 PM
And so, my turn in this car's saga begins... :eyebrows:

shayne
04-03-2013, 12:25 AM
lucky dog. i bet it was a steal.

Force Fed Mopar
04-03-2013, 08:03 AM
Chris gave me a great deal on it :thumb: Also I was able to make it happen the same week as my family vacation (my wife's parents live in St Augustine, about 30 mins away from where the car was), so the only thing it cost me extra was the extra fuel used by the tow rig. I am pretty excited, if my in-laws' HOA would've been cool with me parking the trailer at her house I'd probably be fooling with it right now :D

Vigo
04-03-2013, 01:00 PM
That is frickin awesome. If i got to cherry pick who on this forum would end up with it next, you woulda been on my list anyway so this is cool for me even though i have nothing to do with it. :p

Reaper1
04-03-2013, 01:52 PM
I believe she got a good new home! I hope to see a project log up soon!!! Rob, if you have any questions, you know I'll help if I can.

My one biggest regret is not actually being able to drive the car. (I rode in it several times being towed from one storage place to another)

I am sad to know it is not mine anymore, but I'm happy that Rob is the one who got it.

Force Fed Mopar
04-03-2013, 02:19 PM
If we ever meet up somewhere and I have the car with me, you will most definitely get a drive in it! Project log is already up :D

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?70697-Project-LookOwt-Saving-a-piece-of-3.0-history&highlight=

Irocelectric93
04-03-2013, 04:21 PM
Dude awesome. Glad it went to you...someone who knows what it is. Thanks for saving the awesome car!

Force Fed Mopar
02-02-2014, 10:45 PM
Trying to look up more info on the car and ran across all these old threads I posted in about it :D Took me a bit longer than a month to get it going, guess I jinxed myself on that!:evil: Finally driving though, vids on the project log page.

Reaper1
02-03-2014, 11:16 AM
I give you total props for getting it running as quickly as you did! Remember, it had sat for a LOONNGG time without even running. I'm SO happy to hear it running and driving down the road!