PDA

View Full Version : hooker header o2 placement on direct port injection.

Punish'nRice
01-30-2013, 10:33 AM
My dad is building his GLH up to be an n/a car using '89 turbo harness. The motor is a 2.2 with flat top pistons, +4mm head, high competition cam, 2pc intake, 52mm throttle body. He wants to put his long tube hooker header on and try to run car without the turbo. This way he could have direct port injection.

What we want to know is; were would be a good place to put the O2 sensor at?

zin
01-30-2013, 11:25 AM
It will need to be in the collector or just after so it can "pick up" all four cylinders.

Mike

PS Sounds like an interesting project! Might want to checkout the EFI /TUNING section in regards to the electronics and tuning, if going with stock ecu.

contraption22
01-30-2013, 11:37 AM
I would agree. It should go in the collector.

Punish'nRice
01-30-2013, 11:42 AM
It will need to be in the collector or just after so it can "pick up" all four cylinders.

Mike

PS Sounds like an interesting project! Might want to checkout the EFI /TUNING section in regards to the electronics and tuning, if going with stock ecu.

Do you think the O2 might be too far away from the engine being in the collector?

What about being in the #3 or #4 pipe?

Also thanks for the electronics tip. I'll check that out. :thumb:

Punish'nRice
01-30-2013, 11:58 AM
For those that don't know of the header here is a pic.
http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i464/PunishnRice/large5707hkr.jpg

contraption22
01-30-2013, 12:08 PM
The OE sensors for GLH's were 1 wire, but if you upgrade to a 4 wire, you should be good to go.

zin
01-30-2013, 01:43 PM
Agreed. Only non-heated O2 would have a problem not getting to operating temp. BTW, many wide-band O2 sensors can be damaged by too much heat.

The 89 harness will use the heated O2, so you'll be fine with what you'll be using.

Mike

Punish'nRice
01-30-2013, 02:29 PM
So since he'll be using the new 4-wire o2 & having it placed in the collector would be fine?

turbovanmanČ
01-30-2013, 02:46 PM
For it to work properly, it should go in the collector, as that way, it gets a sample for all 4 cylinders, whereas if its in one cylinder, it will only read that one cylinder and on some cars, it can cause issues. I have had to move the sensor from single locations to the collector on some models as I had driveability issues.

contraption22
01-30-2013, 02:49 PM
So since he'll be using the new 4-wire o2 & having it placed in the collector would be fine?

Definitely.

RoadWarrior222
01-30-2013, 03:07 PM
Collector would be best, if you've got some strange reason why that can't happen, I'd run the car around with the intended intake manifold, and enough of a stock system to hold the O2 so it runs "normally" then pull the plugs and put it on the cylinder where the plug is the 2nd darkest, which should be safeish.

---------- Post added at 02:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:03 PM ----------

BTW if the collector position leaves it sticking out under the car, kinda vulnerable, then you could think about installing it inside a tomato paste/puree can (Need long socket to put it on, unless you cut it in half lengthwise, face the shield part frontwards.) I dunno how long that would take to rust out but it's the most convenient thing I could think of to stop grit, rubber crumb, mud, rocks, small animals etc getting stuck in the O2 sensor vents.

Punish'nRice
01-30-2013, 04:09 PM
Cool, thanks everyone for the replys. greatly appreciated.

Tbird232ci
01-30-2013, 05:26 PM
You'll be fine with it in the collector. I have long tube headers on my Trans Am and that's where the O2 sensors are on it, and those headers are longer than the 2.2 header.