PDA

View Full Version : auxilary shaft seal retainer question

crusty shadow
01-28-2013, 08:54 PM
assembling my 2.2 CB, kind of stuck on the auxilary shaft seal retainer. i cant find any info or a diagram of where to apply silicone to the seal retainer. i thought i had it correct, but after the sealer cured i couldnt rotate the shaft without a lot of effort.

a pic or a diagram of where and how thick to apply silicone would help tremendously.

shackwrrr
01-28-2013, 08:59 PM
No silicone, you must use anaerobic gasket maker on it. Same with the front and rear seal retainers.

turbovanmanČ
01-28-2013, 09:14 PM
Based on what you've wrote, I am assuming you put sealer on the lip surface which you don't do. The seal goes into the housing dry or I use anerobic on the outside to help it slide in, then use anerobic on the back side of the housing.

cordes
01-28-2013, 09:16 PM
No silicone, you must use anaerobic gasket maker on it. Same with the front and rear seal retainers.

That's what I do although some of the kits do come with gaskets for them which I've read work.

crusty shadow
01-28-2013, 10:13 PM
i think you're misunderstanding what im talking about. im talking about the sealer you apply to the seal retainer where it mates to the block.

cordes
01-28-2013, 10:20 PM
i think you're misunderstanding what im talking about. im talking about the sealer you apply to the seal retainer where it mates to the block.

I think we're talking about the same thing. The seal which is formed between the front of the block and the aluminum housing itself correct? That's what we're talking about.

135sohc
01-28-2013, 10:26 PM
Apply the anerobic to the outside edge of the retainer making sure to go around but absolutely do not block/clog the oil feed hole that provides the splash lubricating to the seal/front of the bearing. I use a flux brush trimmed down to apply it.

black86glhs
01-29-2013, 12:39 AM
The machined surface of the seal retainer should get anerobic sealant applied to it like has been said. That is the appropriate sealant.
As cordes said, if you are using the gasket kits that have the gasket for that piece, use a very thin layer of rtv on both sides of the gasket.

turbovanmanČ
01-29-2013, 02:44 AM
Apply the anerobic to the outside edge of the retainer making sure to go around but absolutely do not block/clog the oil feed hole that provides the splash lubricating to the seal/front of the bearing. I use a flux brush trimmed down to apply it.

Doesn't matter if you do, it doesn't get hard and will be washed out when its running.

The machined surface of the seal retainer should get anerobic sealant applied to it like has been said. That is the appropriate sealant.
As cordes said, if you are using the gasket kits that have the gasket for that piece, use a very thin layer of rtv on both sides of the gasket.

DO NOT use the gasket, it will shim out the housing causing more freeplay for the shaft, very bad idea.

black86glhs
01-29-2013, 03:00 AM
Crusty, if you are building a race car, don't use the gasket. If your just doing a rebuild, it will be fine. Many of use have done it without ill effects.

That won't make Simon any happier, but who cares....lol.

turbovanmanČ
01-29-2013, 03:26 AM
Crusty, if you are building a race car, don't use the gasket. If your just doing a rebuild, it will be fine. Many of use have done it without ill effects.

That won't make Simon any happier, but who cares....lol.

Blow me, :D

supercrackerbox
01-29-2013, 05:18 AM
I always pitch the gaskets and use anerobic on the seal retainers. There are diagrams showing where to apply the sealer in the Engine rebuild section of the factory service manuals.

135sohc
01-29-2013, 01:40 PM
Doesn't matter if you do, it doesn't get hard and will be washed out when its running.

Why set yourself up for a clogged oil passageway if its easy enough to avoid :confused: Anerobic doesnt harden like that but its not going to dissolve instantly either.

turbovanmanČ
01-29-2013, 02:36 PM
Why set yourself up for a clogged oil passageway if its easy enough to avoid :confused: Anerobic doesnt harden like that but its not going to dissolve instantly either.

Of course try to avoid it but a little excess won't hurt, it simply gets washed away. This isn't a rocket you know.

black86glhs
01-30-2013, 03:52 AM
Of course try to avoid it but a little excess won't hurt, it simply gets washed away. This isn't a rocket you know.Yes they are, Pocket Rockets!!!!!:D

turbovanmanČ
01-30-2013, 02:39 PM
Yes they are, Pocket Rockets!!!!!:D

Stop thinking of food, :p

black86glhs
01-30-2013, 04:45 PM
Stop thinking of food, :pNot Hot Pockets.....lol.

crusty shadow
01-30-2013, 09:23 PM
i would not use a gasket where there was never one to begin with. they kept trying to give me that felpro seal kit with the gasket at the parts store and i refused to buy it because i know thats not correct.

got everytihng all sorted out, retainer is in with seal and aux shaft rotates freely like its supposed to.
thanks for the help

turbovanmanČ
01-31-2013, 04:06 AM
So what was binding it up?