PDA

View Full Version : Need a little info on boost control and fix's for spiking etc!

turbovanmanČ
08-17-2006, 12:49 PM
Sorry guys, this isn't my strong point. Ok, my issue was the boost wasn't stable, I would punch it, mostly in the midrange and at low boost, say 15-20 psi, the boost would float, so it would go between 15-20 lbs, surging as you will. I added some preload and it was alot better. So with the head off, I noticed there wasn't much tension still on the wastegate so I added another washer. Now, it will go to 20 then settle at 13 ish and doen't surge so what are the fixes for this? I had to stretch the spring on my Dawes MBC to get more boost-is that part of it?

David Bohrer
08-18-2006, 02:51 PM
Simon,

Check the MBC for leakage. I just went thru something very similiar. Boost would hit target of 24 psi and then bleed down to wastegate/spring setting. It turned out that the seat for the check ball INSIDE the MBC had gotten damaged somehow and was allowing the boost to bypass.

good luck!

Dave B.

Turbulence
08-18-2006, 03:06 PM
Yeah it may be dirt in the grainger. I had the same problem, cleaned the grainger with alcohol and put a small lawnmower fuel filter in line before the grainger--problem solved (one of good ol' Gus's ideas).

Martin
89 Horizon

turbovanmanČ
08-18-2006, 04:50 PM
Well an update, I cranked it in all the way and it would hit 25 then down to 15 so I borrowed a friends brand new one. Cranked it up, would hit 26 ish and settle to 21 ish. I put a copper ferule in it and its aprox 4 turns from being bottomed out, 28 psi and its pretty solid, :thumb:

MiniMopar
08-18-2006, 08:33 PM
Yeah, I use a fuel filter for a honda carb or something. Keeps the junk out.