PDA

View Full Version : Help me beat the high prices on premium fuel (if possible)

ShelbyZD
08-17-2006, 12:57 AM
My bro and I are getting ticked off at the gas companies here (as Im sure people are everywhere).

Reg. Gas is $1.10 a liter and supreme (which is only 91 octaine here for that matter) used to cost 6 cents more with the exception of on Thursday we got it for 3 cents more. Now they have it at a rediculous 20 cents more a liter! :mad:

I read somewhere of how you can boost the octaine but I'm not sure where it was.

Oh I just found out where (http://www.turbododge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95670)

I think alcohol is around 104 octane. There are better things to use however. Alcohol should only be used in a 10% ratio with gas. Xylene is around 114 octane, you can buy it at paint stores. I mix it with gas and it does help on those nights at the drags.

My mix; 3 gallons of 92 Premium fuel, 1 gallon xylene, 1 quart of denatured alcohol, 4 ounces of ATF or Marvel Mystery Oil. Gives you 4+ gallons of 100+ octane fuel. Blend it in a well ventillated area.

So.. This stuff is ok to use in our engines? We don't need a huge octaine boost.. 93 would be nice for now and something cheap to buy are the goals.

gkcooper
08-17-2006, 10:54 AM
Try mixing 3 oz. per ten gallons of Acetone in your 87 octane fuel. You can go over to mpgresearch.com and read all about it.

Frank
08-17-2006, 11:03 AM
We tried the Acetone... its a bunch of crap. When people test, they subconsiously drive different and scew the results. You must drive the same.

The BIGGEST and BEST way to improve MPG is to change driving habits. That alone is typically good for 20% increase!!! I have changed my driving habits on my modified 302 Bronco and pulled off just over 15mpg with mixed city and highway. I can't wait to drive highway... I WILL pull 16mpg.

How do you change? Dont go over 65mph, if you see a stop light, don't wait till the last minute to stop... begin slowing down long before because when the light turns green you wont be stopped... you will use less effort/fuel to accelerate back up to normal speed. Dont tailgate... by riding close (not maintaining legal distance) behind people who are doing the same, you speed tends to fluctuate as much as 10-20mph... having to reaccelerate in short bursts kills your mpg. Hang back and use the extra space to cushion fluctuations in traffic speed from effecting you. Master hills... accelerate beyond the speed limit and dont accelerate hard up hills... who cares if you fall below the speed limit or traffic speed by 5mph if you are saving money!

Frank

WVRampage
08-17-2006, 01:30 PM
The BIGGEST and BEST way to improve MPG is to change driving habits. That alone is typically good for 20% increase!!! I have changed my driving habits on my modified 302 Bronco and pulled off just over 15mpg with mixed city and highway. I can't wait to drive highway... I WILL pull 16mpg.
Frank

Thats awsome I was always under the imression with those truck no mater what engine the milage was 12 but I also have done the same with my 78 F-250 with a 400M in it and gotten 16 on a trip with it,a slight bit more with avgas in it.But you are very right with how to drive and get the beter milage also cruise get worse milage than not around here with all the hills but now on a long flat place they do about the same.

Frank
08-17-2006, 01:34 PM
I have a cold air intake, short headers, 2.5" downpipes to a 3" Y to a single catco cat to a Magnaflow straight thru. Not only does it sound good, it gets good mileage. If I beat on it... 13.4mpg. Otherwise it gets 14.9-15.2. It also has a rebuilt tranny and TQ.... so that helps.

Frank

puppet
08-17-2006, 01:47 PM
If you drive a stick ... get it into a higher gear quicker. Don't wind out the engine.

gkcooper
08-17-2006, 01:55 PM
Acetone is not crap. There is a substantial amount of data to support it's use. I have had personal experience with it too. I was offering the information on acetone to reduce spark knock anyway. It will help that no matter what your mileage results are. Try it and you will believe as well. It's worth a few bucks to find out if it will help you anyway right? It will pay for itself the first time you fill up if you fill up with 87 octane. I get over 30mpg in my Dakota and I drive it pretty hard. I have also run it in my IROC R/T with 87 octane. Besides, if you don't like it, it certainly won't harm anything and you are only out a few dollars.

turbovanmanČ
08-17-2006, 02:19 PM
What kind of boost are you running? stock you should be able to run 89 no problem. If your really concerned, plug the wastegate to the intake and run 87.

Toluene works awesome, tried it but alot of hassle. The next best thing is an alky kit, Devilsown is a wicked kit and you can run windshield washer fluid if you want.

Frank
08-17-2006, 03:38 PM
Acetone is not crap. There is a substantial amount of data to support it's use. I have had personal experience with it too. I was offering the information on acetone to reduce spark knock anyway. It will help that no matter what your mileage results are. Try it and you will believe as well. It's worth a few bucks to find out if it will help you anyway right? It will pay for itself the first time you fill up if you fill up with 87 octane. I get over 30mpg in my Dakota and I drive it pretty hard. I have also run it in my IROC R/T with 87 octane. Besides, if you don't like it, it certainly won't harm anything and you are only out a few dollars.

Here is the deal... until I see someone's vehicle actual work with it... then fine. However my friend did not find it to work when he purposely drove the exact same way... and it was even on a vehicle that was supposed to have 25% increase!!!!

While I dont have faith in some of Mythbuster's experiments, they actually did this one correctly! They found myth busted!
http://kwc.org/mythbusters/2006/05/exploding_trousers_great_gas_conspiracy.html

Again, to me it is psychosomatic for everyone I have ever read about because they drive differently when the fluid is in the car.

If you take the typical 10gal of gasoline results and use the 3oz of acetone, you will find that it is only 0.24% by weight. Also lets look at the energy content. Gasoline has 32 MJ/Liter and Acetone has 29 MJ/Liter. 10gal of gas untainted would have 1,211,328 MJ of energy in the gas tank. Now add the 3oz of acetone to a present 10gal of gas, and you would have 1,213,900 MJ of energy in the gas tank... however you have more fluid. You break that down to energy per L, and you would find that 10gal of untainted gas would have 32 MJ/L and the 10gal of gas plus the 3oz of acetone would come out to slightly less then 32 MJ/L... approx 31.993. Hmm less energy per tank. How can that improve gas mileage?

Frank

PS> I know I did the MJ/L a little backwards for you math/chemistry types, but I did it show the method of reason.

nomadman2001
08-17-2006, 04:55 PM
I tried it for weeks in my NA Daytona so that my driving habits would average out. No improvement what so ever. It supposedly helps the gasoline to atomize better but my real-world experience says 'myth busted'. I believe any differences are due to the mindset of the driver - 'trying to get better mileage'. I was getting 23 MPG on average - combination of city and highway. I saw minor improvements if I did more highway the city and huge drops if I drove like I didn't care. I agree with Frank, it's all in your head and if you want better mileage, keep you foot out of it!:D

ShelbyZD
08-17-2006, 09:33 PM
To be honest my goal wasn't to improve my MPG as I already average 25 in the city as does my bro. I'm mainly interested in boosting the octaine so I can by reg gas as it's quite a bit cheaper.