PDA

View Full Version : newbie to cailbrations

turboboostman2
01-09-2013, 12:34 PM
hey guys new here but not new to turbo dodge's. i was always the old school guy, doing things the old school way but i keep reading on custom cailbrations. my uncle who is a computer nut and owns his own custom tuning company called rocket chip said he would love to mess around with the computer in my 89 spirit 2.5 car. i just keep trying to look up info on how you guy program these computers and i see how you guys have files you can download im just wounder HOW?? im trying to learn all that i can with these computers i love to learn new things, if someone can point me in a direction to learn this stuff that would be much appreciated!!! thanks!!!

Khajjathefang
01-09-2013, 01:20 PM
Typically you would open up the stock computer, de-solder the main chip (eeprom) and solder in a chip socket in it's place. This would allow you to burn new eeproms with an adapter from your computer, or you can get an eeprom emulator (ostrich) that can be flashed without being removed. The tuning software is free, and you'll find links here on the site.

turboboostman2
01-09-2013, 01:35 PM
heck wouldent that drive sale away from fwd performace and other tuning companys sence the tuning software is free on here?
how reliable are the tunes on here i imagine they are good seems like alot of smart guys on here when it comes to tuneing

tryingbe
01-09-2013, 02:23 PM
http://www.thelostartof.net/tryingbe/dodge/omniproject/tune/injectors.JPG

turboboostman2
01-09-2013, 04:16 PM
looks complicated, ive read alot on cail's in the knowlege center it helped me grab a understanding into it, but seems like alot to learn haha

1BADVAN
01-09-2013, 04:35 PM
Go to he EFI Tuning subforum. It has a ton of threads and links from others asking questions and learning. Even some videos. Read around to get some feel then ask what you can't find. Feel free to PM me specific questions. I am no pro but willing to help.

turbovanmanČ
01-09-2013, 04:42 PM
It doesn't really take away from FWD as there will always be people who don't want to mess around.

The stuff listed is reliable, and getting more and more updates every week, like staging limiters, :nx: control, alky controls, pretty cool for a stock computer.

I speak from experience, learning was a steep curve but once you get the basics, its pretty easy to do. We will walk you thru, heck even talk on the phone to help you thru it.

turboboostman2
01-09-2013, 05:09 PM
thanks guys, so much info on one site. its so cool. when i talk to my uncle about this stuff i normaly get lost cuz he on like another planit with his computer knowlege. he does some wild stuff but unfortunately he is into tdi vw, but im trying to change that haha. im sure il be asking more and more on this stuff. im realy likeing the idea of the ostrich emulator that turns the computer into a program on the fly.

cordes
01-12-2013, 11:38 AM
thanks guys, so much info on one site. its so cool. when i talk to my uncle about this stuff i normaly get lost cuz he on like another planit with his computer knowlege. he does some wild stuff but unfortunately he is into tdi vw, but im trying to change that haha. im sure il be asking more and more on this stuff. im realy likeing the idea of the ostrich emulator that turns the computer into a program on the fly.

I'm really cheap so I don't have an ostrich, but man are they nice. I helped a friend do some tuning with one and it was great.

turboboostman2
01-12-2013, 01:07 PM
i just cant belive how much technology we can pack into these cars its so cool, around my area evo's and wrx's rule the street, till the muscle cars come out and play haha

cordes
01-12-2013, 01:41 PM
i just cant belive how much technology we can pack into these cars its so cool, around my area evo's and wrx's rule the street, till the muscle cars come out and play haha

The processor in our cars put man on the moon!

ShelGame
01-12-2013, 03:00 PM
The processor in our cars put man on the moon!

Actually, the processor in our cars is many times more powerful than the one that went to the moon. The processor in the lunar module was supposedly the predecessor to the Intel 4004 - a 4 bit processor used in the early Ti pocket calculators. We get an 8Mhz 8-bit Motorola 6811 with 16-bit addressing. Quite advanced, relatively speaking...

EDIT: I actually just read the wiki page on the Lunar Module. I'm wrong, it was actually a 14-bit processor. Basically hand-made by MIT...

cordes
01-12-2013, 03:10 PM
That's interesting I've heard several times that the processor in the LM cars was essentially the same one which was used in the moon missions.

Perhaps people say that due to the Huntsville connection to the space program? I found this on google a minute ago.

http://www.allpar.com/history/military/moon.html

RoadWarrior222
01-12-2013, 03:48 PM
I have said a couple of times it's more powerful than the lunar module computer.... though I'm sure we should figure out an IP-core version so we can have it running at 200mhz with all the other logic onboard :D

turboboostman2
01-13-2013, 12:38 AM
Wish I new more on computers haha. What you guys can do to the computers in these cars are so cool witch is why I want. To learn it.

cordes
01-13-2013, 12:42 AM
Wish I new more on computers haha. What you guys can do to the computers in these cars are so cool witch is why I want. To learn it.
I know nothing about computers. Everything I do is based off of what I've read on here. When I tried to program my first chip I didn't even know that it matters which way it faces.

Force Fed Mopar
01-13-2013, 01:50 AM
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?85-ECU-Code-Repository

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?36-EFI-Tuning

There's everything you need :thumb: Hardware sold separately lol

turboboostman2
01-13-2013, 07:00 PM
Sweet thanks guys. Can't wait to play with this stuff. I'm on a quest for a 12.00 for my car

Khajjathefang
01-13-2013, 07:25 PM
I'd just love for someone to explain how turbonator works. Is it a cracked version of the factory software or something compatible built from scratch? How the heck are you guys making it do things like 2 step launch and anti lag? Its like you could tweak computers when I left but the fast guys all used stand alones and now that I'm back the factory computer practically IS a standalone. lol

ShelGame
01-13-2013, 08:16 PM
I'd just love for someone to explain how turbonator works. Is it a cracked version of the factory software or something compatible built from scratch? How the heck are you guys making it do things like 2 step launch and anti lag? Its like you could tweak computers when I left but the fast guys all used stand alones and now that I'm back the factory computer practically IS a standalone. lol

Turbonator is a full source code reverse engineered from the Chrysler calibrations. Since it's now a source code, we can do things like add code, remove code, move things around, etc. We can also do things the factory never intended like a spark cut rev limiter, and take code from other years and add it in (like putting the actual T2 boost control in the SBEC cals - which is in the works).

Once I get the rotating spark cut launch control working in the SMEC cal, it will be added to the SBEC and SBECII cals, then I'll either work on shift-without-lift or try to add the launch control to the TIII cals. I'm not sure yet.

At this point, Turbonator SMEC is probably 90% Chryselr code, and 10% mine.

cordes
01-13-2013, 08:57 PM

In addition to what Rob stated, I'm aware of at least two people putting down 500WHP with "factory" electronics. Reeves in his Omni who I think is running TLM now and Shadow who is running a FWD cal.

Khajjathefang
01-13-2013, 09:24 PM
I saw no mention of an LM version, can it run the same stuff as the smec?

cordes
01-13-2013, 09:28 PM

I'm not sure if Rob has the spark cut limiter in there yet, but it has the regular staging limiter and the check engine light on knock for sure.

Force Fed Mopar
01-14-2013, 09:41 AM

It had a staging limiter at one time, but it didn't work very well so it was removed until Shelgame could figure out how to make it better. But yeah, there is a LM Turbonator (T-LMv13) and it can do most of what the SMEC does, but not all I think. The SMEC has more processor speed.

ShelGame
01-14-2013, 09:49 AM
It had a staging limiter at one time, but it didn't work very well so it was removed until Shelgame could figure out how to make it better. But yeah, there is a LM Turbonator (T-LMv13) and it can do most of what the SMEC does, but not all I think. The SMEC has more processor speed.

There's a staging limiter in T/LM. But, i's just a fuel-cut; exactly the same as the stock rev limiter. And, in my opinion, the fuel cut rev limiter does not work well as a staging limiter. It only works OK for a manual car where there's no load on the engine while staging. For an auto car, loading the converter means the RPM swings too much to be useful.

T/LM also has anti-lag, but it's also not the same as the latest T/SMEC. The LM version cannot do negative timing values.

turboboostman2
01-14-2013, 01:32 PM
shelgame your like a mad scientist!!!!!