08-16-2006, 09:03 PM
Lookin good :banaride: :dancingbana:

turbovanmanČ
08-16-2006, 09:21 PM
Sweet, whats all done to it?

iniviate
08-17-2006, 01:21 AM
Sweet, whats all done to it?

This round was mostly the shortblock. forged pistons w/ arp hardware everywhere else. i wanted to get some nice rods, but the other motor just didn't last long enough.

also installed a dual diaphragm pressure plate. that thing is a hoss. i don't think it's useable. it's hard to start with the clutch pushed in and bogs down the motor if you press the clutch with it running. i'm actually pretty concerned about damaging my new motor because of it... so i'm not going to drive it till i get something else figured out.

not to mention the pistons i ordered from fwdp about 2 years ago (i just now got around to using) came with .030 over rings when the pistons were .020. :mad:

whatver... i'm tired of working on cars for today. :thumb:

iniviate
08-17-2006, 01:28 AM
also.... since i'm sitting here thinking about it. i have another concern. my other motor, i just guessed at timing belt tension. i never had any trouble out of it, but it was only together 8k miles as well.

anyway, i got a belt tension gauge, did a search and tried to set the tension. i ended up at 90lbs on a new belt. i didn't feel comfortable any tighter and kinda think it's too tight now. although, it doesn't "howl" or anything.

turbovanmanČ
08-17-2006, 02:17 AM
They send you the .030 rings so you file them down to fit. The Venolias require alot of clearance so running .020 rings will give you large gaps. What I did with Will's engine was use .020 oil rings. I didn't want to mess filing those and file fitted the .030 compression rings. It was alot of work but it paid off, his engine runs great.

iniviate
08-17-2006, 08:14 AM
They send you the .030 rings so you file them down to fit.

that is not the correct way to do that....

it'd be nice if their website mentioned that the pistons were going to come with the wrong rings.

doesn't matter, it's just one more straw. i'm done ordering from them.

stock clutch going back in this weekend till i can afford somethig else... anybody want to buy a dual diaphragm pressure plate? low miles! :thumb:

turbovanmanČ
08-17-2006, 01:03 PM
that is not the correct way to do that....

it'd be nice if their website mentioned that the pistons were going to come with the wrong rings.

Why do you say that? it works perfectly. Mopar2ya did this in his 400 hp R/T I believe and like I said, my friends Omni I rebuilt :nod:

If in doubt, call up the vendor, I don't understand why no one calls anymore, :(

iniviate
08-17-2006, 03:48 PM
Why do you say that? it works perfectly. Mopar2ya did this in his 400 hp R/T I believe

Mopar2ya says "You could make the top 2 rings fit, but it isnt right"

http://www.turbododge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63459&highlight=venolia+file+rings

If in doubt, call up the vendor, I don't understand why no one calls anymore, :(

What do i have to call about? .... i bought these pistons around 2 years ago. what are they going to do? especially when they feel it's acceptable to file down a ring that is too large.

turbovanmanČ
08-17-2006, 04:24 PM
Mopar2ya says "You could make the top 2 rings fit, but it isnt right"

http://www.turbododge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63459&highlight=venolia+file+rings

What do i have to call about? .... i bought these pistons around 2 years ago. what are they going to do? especially when they feel it's acceptable to file down a ring that is too large.

He changed his mind in another thread last year!

Call to ask why there's .030 rings in the box, you stated you didn;t know why? thats all, :thumb:

iniviate
08-17-2006, 04:41 PM
i don't want to stir the pot too much, so we'll just leave things as they are. :thumb:

if anybody has an opinion on my belt tension or clutch issue, feel free to post up.

turbovanmanČ
08-17-2006, 06:07 PM
i don't want to stir the pot too much, so we'll just leave things as they are. :thumb:

if anybody has an opinion on my belt tension or clutch issue, feel free to post up.

No problem, :thumb:

New belt-110lbs
Old belt-70lbs

iniviate
08-18-2006, 05:58 AM
New belt-110lbs
Old belt-70lbs

gee thanks, i already did a search.

i was looking for someone with an opinion as to how tight is too tight. it's easily 4 times tighter than one would tighten an 8 valve timing belt. i have never had a belt this tight on anything i've ever worked on. is that normal?

Will Martin
08-18-2006, 07:46 AM
.....What I did with Will's engine was use .020 oil rings. I didn't want to mess filing those and file fitted the .030 compression rings. It was alot of work but it paid off, his engine runs great.

Yep, compression is 150 on all four cylinders and runs strong! :amen:

turbovanmanČ
08-18-2006, 12:33 PM
gee thanks, i already did a search.

i was looking for someone with an opinion as to how tight is too tight. it's easily 4 times tighter than one would tighten an 8 valve timing belt. i have never had a belt this tight on anything i've ever worked on. is that normal?

I recall when I did one, it seemed very tight but I did set it to the 110 tension and he drove it for a few months before he parked it.

Captain Chaos
08-19-2006, 11:56 AM
Hey Chris you gonna run the Shadow at No-Lip? I'm thinking about driving the Horizon up there. I can't compete with much else thats supposed to run, but figured would be fun to drive the doo doo box up there and give the rednecks a good laugh.:thumb: Oh yeah can I get that ride now?:D

Also if you are still wondering about the belt tension, pm egodriver71 on turbo dodge forum. He's mentione dto me before something about the tension issues on the TIII motors. Actually, he lives off of Argyle Forest Blvd, so he may be able to swing by your place if need be.

iniviate
08-19-2006, 04:40 PM
i was thinking about entering it in no lip. i'm not sure if it'll be fast enough though. but... if you're gonna enter the horizon, i'll enter my junk. :D

lemme get the clutch figured out and you can drive it if you want. :thumb:

i'm kind of surpised, this motor seems to be stronger than the old motor at the same boost (15psi). the old motor rolling into it in 2nd gear it would break a tire loose a little if i was by myself. now it will spin the tires a little all the way through 2nd with a passenger. i know thats not the best way to judge power, but whatever. :D

Captain Chaos
08-19-2006, 10:51 PM
i was thinking about entering it in no lip. i'm not sure if it'll be fast enough though. but... if you're gonna enter the horizon, i'll enter my junk. :D

lemme get the clutch figured out and you can drive it if you want. :thumb:

i'm kind of surpised, this motor seems to be stronger than the old motor at the same boost (15psi). the old motor rolling into it in 2nd gear it would break a tire loose a little if i was by myself. now it will spin the tires a little all the way through 2nd with a passenger. i know thats not the best way to judge power, but whatever. :D
I just finished mine about 30 minutes ago. It feels a little stronger also. There seems to be a little more lag which I expected with this turbo. It feels strong also at 15 psi but I haven't driven the car in a couple weeks. I'll take the car to no lip as long as the tranny holds. I'm still running the 525 that came in the Horizon. :bolt: As long as it doesn't hook it "should" last a little while.:thumb:

iniviate
08-20-2006, 12:22 PM
heh... i destroyed the original 525 in my omni the last time i took it to the track. :thumb:

it was a non-hooking SOB too. i think i cut like a 2.5 or 2.6 60' on a 13.7 @ 105 pass. :)

what turbo did you go with?

Captain Chaos
08-20-2006, 03:34 PM
heh... i destroyed the original 525 in my omni the last time i took it to the track. :thumb:

it was a non-hooking SOB too. i think i cut like a 2.5 or 2.6 60' on a 13.7 @ 105 pass. :)

what turbo did you go with?
Something similar to a super 60. I drove it around this morning and it seems to take longer than I feel should be normal to reach full boost. Also i'm getting some smoke on deceleration when vacuum goes up. It may have some crankcase ventilation issues. :confused: Right now there is just a PCV valve venting into nowhere land. Oh well i have a 2.5 I may start building or a Neon buddy of mine is trying to persuade me into the SRT swap.:eyebrows: Leave it ugly and make it faster.:nod: I have all that front suspension just about cleaned up, painted and urethane bushings in. Just need to get new brake hoses and struts and shocks then the 5 lug stuff can go in. Oh well it should run well enough to go to St. Augustine this weekend for the FLSDAC meet.:thumb:

iniviate
08-20-2006, 08:35 PM
Oh well it should run well enough to go to St. Augustine this weekend for the FLSDAC meet.:thumb:

figures... one time it's close to here and i've gotta work. :mad:

Captain Chaos
08-20-2006, 09:13 PM
figures... one time it's close to here and i've gotta work. :mad:
I hear ya. I went to the last one in Lakeland. Thats a hell of a drive, even in the Neon. Thats why i suggested this one be in St Augustine, and then between No Lip, the 21st, Street car shootout in O-town the weekend of the 28th and 29th, and then Garlits on the first weekend in November. Gonna be a busy Oct and Nov. Oh yeah can't leave out the Rod Run.:thumb:

I tried suggesting a track day in Gainesville on a T&T but everyones afraid their car will break and be stuck out of town. Probably with good reason.:nod: