PDA

View Full Version : TIII NOS BARE HEAD Whats it worth?

440dart
01-04-2013, 01:04 PM
Iam going to end up with a bare nos head brandnew never been bolted on its brand new lol, just curious as to what its worth its to nice for what iam wanting to do it should go on a car that somebody is restoreing my cars are going to be used and abused, i will be selling the head to help fund more performance parts for my TIII glhs. You guys have any idea what it would be worth anybody want dibs lol?

contraption22
01-04-2013, 01:32 PM
Is it an OEM chrysler head or a chinese made replacement? Casting number?

Turbo224
01-04-2013, 02:42 PM
Is it an OEM chrysler head or a chinese made replacement? Casting number?

Im pretty sure there were never Chinese T3 heads made, only 8v.

turbovanmanČ
01-04-2013, 03:15 PM
What the market will bare. I"d guess you will probably get $500-$700 for it, not sure who has that kind of money anymore, :(

440dart
01-04-2013, 06:22 PM
The guy that i got all my TIII cars bought all the cars from his friend jim who worked at the dodge dealer up until a couple years ago and he was into TD's and he bought every rare part he could as he was able to locate them through the dealer where he worked, so i would assume the head is the regular casting or a dunn head? I would think it would be a dunn because the dunn were replacement heads correct?????

contraption22
01-04-2013, 07:18 PM
Sorry, not used to this app, didn't notice the subforum.

RoadWarrior222
01-04-2013, 07:28 PM
I believe I heard of one going for $800 at one of the shows last year, Carlisle maybe. Apples to apples, bare NOS head.

MNmopar
01-04-2013, 11:06 PM
Honestly, the market for bare t3 heads has been horrible lately. Most people aren't selling new ones mind you, but still.

My best guess would be in the range of $400 shipped if you peddle it on one of the turbo dodge forums.

Tempted
01-04-2013, 11:20 PM
I'm looking for one, but only a Mopar head. Not a Dunn.

440dart
01-05-2013, 03:05 PM
What the market will bare. I"d guess you will probably get $500-$700 for it, not sure who has that kind of money anymore, :(

Not worth selling it for that by the time i need a head it would probley cost me $1500+ for a used head, sure would look pretty ported with big valves sittin in it hmmmm :)

MNmopar
01-05-2013, 03:52 PM
Not worth selling it for that by the time i need a head it would probley cost me $1500+ for a used head, sure would look pretty ported with big valves sittin in it hmmmm :)

Not sure if you're keeping up with t3 prices, but loaded heads have been for sale all over the place for less than a grand and have had no takers. You should be able to snap up a complete head with cams for $1000 or less these days in a second.

turbovanmanČ
01-05-2013, 03:59 PM
Not sure if you're keeping up with t3 prices, but loaded heads have been for sale all over the place for less than a grand and have had no takers. You should be able to snap up a complete head with cams for $1000 or less these days in a second.

Or less, the market prices are dropping thank god, :nod:

440dart
01-05-2013, 05:10 PM

I guess i shoulda said it would be just my luck that by the time i need one i would have to pay up the arse for it, I dont really look for t3 parts as i have 3 of them my self so useally rob parts off one or the other. Going to part out the two worst cars use the parts for my projects and put the 3rd back together mostly stock for a fun DD and use the TIII glhs for the unsuspecting zr1, porche ect :)

DOHCRT
01-08-2013, 02:41 AM
My last 3 purchases (within last 18 months) were $350 loaded without cams & rockers, $400 loaded with cams without rockers and $450 complete with cams, rockers, manifolds and rocker covers.
A bare head NOS or not may get you $300-$500, NOS hard parts like blocks and heads don't bring the same kind of markup as would a CSX grill or a set of fiberides, since they don't cosmetically wear out, so a used one cleaned up externally can pass for NOS all day long in the restoration environment.

j4278h
01-08-2013, 09:13 PM
Couple years ago there was a place in Alabama that had 20-30 listed on ebay for $400. Don't have any idea if they were dunn recast or not. They sold out very fast. I think a guy in Penn purchased most of them.

ScottD
01-14-2013, 09:34 AM
I'm looking for one, but only a Mopar head. Not a Dunn.

What's wrong with the Dunn casting?

Kryp2nitE
01-15-2013, 07:41 PM
What's wrong with the Dunn casting?

Cindy or Jackson said basically nothing unless you are going to push them to the very edge of HP.

The core plugs are different so if/when you replace them you need to know which you have.

RoadWarrior222
01-15-2013, 09:45 PM
Well what's the very edge, 'coz the stock ones are known to crack at modest outputs. (Seems like roulette there though)

135sohc
01-15-2013, 10:08 PM
It was said here before theres not as much 'meat' in the Dunn recast heads if you were looking to port it out for everything its got.

Lotashelbys
01-15-2013, 11:03 PM
Let me try to add what I know here about the two.

Factory castings had less porosity so they are technically "stronger". They were thicker in both the core plug area and the intake and exhaust runner areas. That makes them actually crack less than the Dunn castings and you can port them farther. If they would have came with aluminum core plugs from the factory there would be alot less cracked stock units. I have seen 2 Dunn heads that were NOS in the Mopar boxes still that were cracked between the center core plug and #3 spark plug hole.

So,if you dont plan on porting one to the max and you have the center core plug welded completely up than a Dunn head will be just fine. For a higher HP setup with alot of portwork I would go with an original casting for the fact of what I stated above.

Also like stated above there are two different core plugs. Original castings and early Dunn heads (late 92 - early 94) had M26x1.5 threads and the late Dunns were 3/4NPT