PDA

View Full Version : help with water temp gauge install

lbaonocsetr
01-02-2013, 11:10 PM
on a 88 dodge lancer turbo 2. im putting in a water temp gauge and found out that the probe with 2 wires on it near thermostat is the wrong place. im supposed to put it in the head between number 1 and 2 cylinder where there is a ?probe, plug? with 1 wire coming out of it. the problem is the probe for the gauge is way to big to fit in the small hole in the head. so i have a gift card to summit and they asked i need to know the size so i can buy an adapter to connect. does all of this sound right and if so does any1 know the size. thanks

cordes
01-02-2013, 11:29 PM
I've used the stock sender with my gauge before. I don't recall if the threaded hole is 1/8thNPT or if that's what I've tapped them out to. Either way I would try to run it off the stock sender first.

lbaonocsetr
01-02-2013, 11:36 PM
stock sender meaning next to thermostat. tried that and the 2 wire plug not being used messed with the fan and never turned on which it woodve made it overheat

cordes
01-03-2013, 12:30 AM
No, the sender for the temp gauge is between the #1 and #2 cyls on the front of the head. It only has one wire coming off of it. Hook your gauge up to that and it should be smooth sailing. You'll certainly need the coolant temp sensor which is on the water box to be hooked up and fully functional. It is only used for EFI purposes though. It plays no part in the coolant temp gauge.

wallace
01-03-2013, 07:31 AM
Are you using a manual gauge? If so, you can mount it on the t-stat housing at the top. there should be an unused 3/8" pipe plug you can remove. I've used that location and had no issues.

cordes
01-03-2013, 12:21 PM
Are you using a manual gauge? If so, you can mount it on the t-stat housing at the top. there should be an unused 3/8" pipe plug you can remove. I've used that location and had no issues.

That's a great point. I was assuming that he was running an electrical gauge.

supercrackerbox
01-03-2013, 02:00 PM
The gauge sender in the head between the #1 and #2 cylinders is 1/8" NPT. It is identical to the senders supplied with my electric VDO gauge except for the wire connector. I'm fairly certain they're interchangeable.

With my Charger, I found that the gauge is slightly more accurate with the sender installed in the lower left corner of the thermostat box, behind my ignition coil bracket ('90-up style coil), although I don't know why. The gauge read a lot hotter than actual when it was mounted in the plug hole above the thermostat, based on the scanner readings of several OE temp sensors. Again, this was an electric gauge; I have no experience with mechanical temp gauges.

cordes
01-03-2013, 03:35 PM
Glad to hear that it is indeed 1/8th NPT. That makes things so much easier.

lbaonocsetr
01-03-2013, 04:55 PM
yes i have a mechanical gauge. so either way is good? either in the plugged hole in tstat housing or using a connector down to 1/8 inch hole. when putting it into the tstat housing that isnt going to hit the tstat is it?

cordes
01-03-2013, 04:57 PM
It shoudln't hit the thermostat from what I've seen. The hole in the water box is 3/8ths NPT.

lbaonocsetr
01-03-2013, 05:07 PM
the hole in thermostat housing is 3/8 and hole between 1 and 2 cyl is 1/8 right?

cordes
01-03-2013, 05:25 PM
the hole in thermostat housing is 3/8 and hole between 1 and 2 cyl is 1/8 right?

Correct.

shadow88
01-03-2013, 05:53 PM
You sure? I thought the 2 that faced the driver's fender were for the coolant return from the turbo (3/8ths pipe) The coolant sensor right beside it is 3/8ths pipe as well? Then the one that points straight down from the top is a 1/8 pipe thread?

I don't want to go look in the shed in this snow, but I thought the thread was how I described. And the only one available for a gauge would be the 1/8 pipe fitting that points straight down..... I sure could be wrong.

cordes
01-03-2013, 05:55 PM
The actual electric sender for the gauge located between cyls 1 and 2 is 1/8th NPT.

The top outlet on the water box by the thermostat is 3/8ths NPT as are the coolant temp sensor and coolant return from the turbo.

The bottom one is 3/4ths NPT if I'm not mistaken.

shadow88
01-03-2013, 06:00 PM
Huh. I thought it was smaller. Thanks!

turbovanmanČ
01-03-2013, 07:05 PM
The actual electric sender for the gauge located between cyls 1 and 2 is 1/8th NPT.

The top outlet on the water box by the thermostat is 3/8ths NPT as are the coolant temp sensor and coolant return from the turbo.

The bottom one is 3/4ths NPT if I'm not mistaken.

Correct and the bottom one is BIG, lol.