PDA

View Full Version : rear brake drum dis-assembly issue

hewhobarksatdogs
12-30-2012, 01:52 PM
Brake leak in rear wheel slave cylinder; drum hosed; have new drum, need to get rear drum assemblyy apart. Have tapped wheel studs with brass hammer, fairly stoutly, no results. Sprayed with WD40 and am getting ready to start whacking again. Is there a trick to this or am I doing the right thing at this point?

hewhobarksatdogs
12-30-2012, 04:09 PM
OK, got 'er done. Pretty much just hammer it. But found that this worked better on a concrete floor with two 1' sections of 2x4 as support on the outside of the drum. The WD40 seems to have helped as did using the brass hammer, placing on studs, and whacking with a 40oz steel hammer.

135sohc
12-30-2012, 04:21 PM
Unless you have a press thats about the only way to change them, there a press fit on the studs to help with NVH issues but having changed both of my rear drums and not bothering to replace the studs so the drums are now a floating fit I found zero noticeable difference.

hewhobarksatdogs
01-01-2013, 08:06 AM
Thanks! But what is NVH?

shadow88
01-01-2013, 09:40 AM
Noise
Vibration
Harshness

turbovanmanČ
01-03-2013, 06:23 PM
I think they did that for ease of assembly line installation. All I do is use a brass punch and drive them back about 1/4 inch, drum slides off, then you have to grind out the holes to clear the staked part of the stud, I believe the new drum too, then I use an old lug nut, a honda front axle nut and use this with an impact gun to pull the studs back out.